No announcement yet.

ModNation Racers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just created my first kart that I am happy enough with to publish based on the old Gulf racing colours, shame I didn't have the right body unlocked yet.

It does have Gulf sponsor stickers not that this angle shows them!

Under Gulf Racing by NeoStuey

Comment

I always had problems in LBP playing online, no idea why, whats this game like? Ive heard theres troubles getting in into some races?

Comment

I've been getting online games all weekend with no wait or issues at all, had a couple of mid race series disconnects but have racked up a lot of game time over the last two days and in the main its been flawless.

love how succesful the create tools are, every player you meet has published karts & mods and I'd say the majority have tracks too, its such an inclusive package.

Comment

Had 3 player split screen on this yesterday. Went down a storm - both mates are going to pick it up now

Comment

Entered my first half a dozen online XP races tonight, I didn't win any but came 2nd in two of them. The racing certainly felt a lot fairer than some of the career races I've had.

Thought I'd post a pic of my Gulf Racing car in time trial mode and me trying to look like Steve McQueen

I hope you guys don't mind.

Comment

all I kind say about 'unfair' racing is give it a while and go back to a track, I recall finding the first track in the 4th series incredibly difficult, think its called Modbahn and is set on a freeway construction site, was playing it yesterday to get the unlocks and was winning at will every time, even deliberately dropping in and out of the pack trying to manipulate where I wanted to be at certain times.

the game is very hard but as your skills improve the things that seemed really impossible at first attempt become very easy. you have to know the tracks really well and be very familiar with the whole attack/defence balance.

good work Matt, seems all out enthusiasm for this must have shifted a good 4-5 copies !

Comment

Funnily enough I found Modbahn to be an easier affair to drive than some of the others, not that I've unlocked the challenges yet. But I was good enough to get through. I agree that there is a lot to learn about each track to get the most out of them and certainly the time trial mode is a necessity to get good. At the moment I can do a pretty decent flying lap but lack consistency! My only gripe is that on successfully defending one attack I get hit by one or two more from the barrage that is unleashed usually when I'm in first and heading to victory, frustrating yes, game breaking no I don't think it is, rewarding when you do cross the line first, hell yeah! I'm only 2 and half days owning it so I know that there sometime to go before it reveals it's secrets.

Finished work on the Gulf Racing colours that I will be using going forward. I know I mentioned Steve McQueen in my previous post and the racing suit is the correct style but I suddenly had the urge to include a Grand Prix legend's helmet colours.

I won't clog up the tread after this I promise. (fingers crossed)

Comment

the hell yeah is multiplied when its an online person you've been having a ding-dong with, had some really tight finishes where you are 100ths of a second apart.

that kart looks really nice, I far prefer the simple clean designs like that as opposed to when people stick everything on.

I felt an urge to try and do Postman Pat's van the other day and even squeezed a sticker of Jess out of my hugely limited abilities (can just see by the back wheel). My attempt at Pat himself though was rubbish, looks more like Christopher Biggins

Last edited by merf; 07-06-2010, 09:29.

Comment

Thanks merf, digging that Post Office van, I could make out Jessie. When I saw Pat I immediately thought of Timmy Mallet!

Agree that the online racing is very good as is the time trialing with the ghosts racers.

Though for now I'm going to try and focus on the career mode, don't think I'll get all the unlocks but I'll do my best.

Comment

Ugh, Dire Cliffs bonus challenge. **** that ****. I spent two ****ing hours last night on that one challenge, and failed.

There are just too many things that need to go in your favour to get those takedowns in the right place (Which has an incredibly small window of opportunity), and I'm sure I had countless legitimate takedowns not register last night.

In the whole night I managed to fulfil the criteria three times, and I failed to win the race on each of those occasions (The last time I was pipped at the post... fortunately a cushion was the only thing near me!). So far that is the only challenge I would say has been unfair, although as there's a big old slice of luck involved I'm sure there will be many people who get it after just a couple of attempts.

I can now win that race with my eyes closed and holding the controller between my testicles.

Of course after my frustration last night you'd think I'd be dreading carrying on the attempts tonight, but I'm not. I'm actually looking forward to it. What has this game done to me?

Comment

ha ha, I'm exactly the same, I just can't get those bloody devestator challenges or the ones where you have to swipe the right chap in a village or the cliffs, I should hate it but I don't.

am I missing anything with the devastator things, you just drive thru and hit the yellow pad hoping somebody else has followed you in right ????

course design is simply brilliant, you think you know a course then see somebody taking a shortcut you hadn't spotted the first 30 times you raced it. best shortcut is on my fave circuit, booster rush (or something like that), you can cut off a whole chunk of track near the end with a well timed x button jump and a tiny tweak of boost, there is a bridge there but totally uneccesary once you know how to do it, sorts the noobs from the old hands.

part of the bragging for me is unlocking a really hard to get kart body then taking it out online, its like a badge of honour !

my 'thing' is having all the car bodies, engines & rims unlocked, can take or leave the rest but those empty spots in the desinger tools bug me big time

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                          Of course after my frustration last night you'd think I'd be dreading carrying on the attempts tonight, but I'm not. I'm actually looking forward to it. What has this game done to me?
                          It has that effect doesn't it.

Comment

Yeah, the devestator challenges are luck. A couple of those took a few attempts, but ultimately all you need to be doing is be racing ahead of a pack (Which you will be anyway), and drive over the buttons. The one that I'm on requires three take downs on a section of the track that takes probably less than 5 seconds to traverse, and it's actually quite a tricky section of the track if you don't take the shortcut (Weird eh?). The AI in this series also seems to defend incredibly well.

That Dolor one was a pain as well as you say (Sideswipe the dude in the village). The sideswipe is difficult to pull off AND risky, so getting the right dude in the right place is a 'mare. Apparently there's another later where you need to swipe three in a village, but as you can just pick anyone at random that should be much easier.

To be honest I'm that far along with the unlocks now there's no question of me quitting until I have the lot.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                              good work Matt, seems all out enthusiasm for this must have shifted a good 4-5 copies !
                              I'm on a mission to get this game sold! There's a guy at work I'm trying to convince to buy a PS3 to play it

Guys, keep the pics of cars and characters coming, wonderful to see. I'll download as many as I can

Regarding doing all the challenges, I'm not going to bother. I'd find it too frustrating, and fear it would put me off the game long term. Saying that, anyone who does, feel free to make temp characters and cars with the more obscure unlocks so I can play around with the parts

Comment

As you asked Matt, here's one I spent the afternoon making instead of playing! doh! Uploaded it this evening.

Also unlocked a Le mans shaped body and applied the Gulf paint job to it. Looks nice but it has canards built on which don't allow for precise sticker placement, highlighting the lack of a paintbrush tool. (unless of course there is one!)

Comment

Working...
                                X