No announcement yet.

ModNation Racers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats impressive, the wall ride points one annoyed me and can get points but not the win, also tried many times but not got the devestator ones yet either.

had a great series online yesterday with 9 other racers, it works very well and oddly is quite similar to Blur in how places change and you are always involved.

downloaded and rated your track Matt, didn't find the sticky sign and stopped falling off the narrow 'goat pass' bit up the top, nice one.

Comment

Thanks man. Will look at your rating later.... better be good.... Had 2 downloads so far, lol. Crowded market.

The one I'd worked on beginning of the week just wasn't working - engine limitations, had multiple routes people jumping over each other, and it was giving loads of Illegal Shortcut errors in a race. After a lot of messing about with it, I had to give up.

Knocked up another course last night. Need to work on a few corners (track tips - do NOT put a raise then a level / dip on a corner, it's poor design as you can power slide and jump off the track) maybe item placement could be better. It plays easier than the other one

Got friends round today, looking forward to this split screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
        Thanks man. Will look at your rating later.... better be good.... Had 2 downloads so far, lol. Crowded market.
        The second was me, I tried both versions but found v2 to be better. Loved the big jump close to the end. Tracks seem to be really with the downloads, the highest I've managed to reach so far is 4 downloads and it wasn't even a proper track!

I'm so impressed that you people are managing to clear so much stuff, I've not raced for ages due to other games and just messing around in this but I'm only on championship 2 or 3 and even they seemed tough.

Anyway, there's some really incredible stuff available to download when it comes to Mods. Yes there are about a 100 versions of Mario and Spiderman but there's so much other stuff available too.

I really like the stuff where people have sculpted the Mod to change the shame rather than just creating a costume for them.
        Last edited by JP; 05-06-2010, 08:24.

Comment

I just don't know how people are doing some of the stuff mod wise, I actually love having a look in the modspot at peoples creator cards and one of the highlights of online is clicking L3 to see all the karts and mods in the starting circle.

I never actually feel any urge to download much other stuff though as want to be an advert for my own shoddy creations.

tracks are hard to get downloads for as so little to go on to tell from the download centre whats good or not, a lot of it is naming too, anything called top gear test circuit gets a few even if lousy. I got 3 but that was as my son used my circuit in an online race and it seemed to credit me a couple !

I was thinking the other day whilst tootling round the Modspot and wonder if they plan to develop Modnation as a franchise, not just as a kart racer but applying the characters and play/create/share thing to other genres (though avoiding platformers)

Comment

you can really tell online who's put the effort into the single player or not, lots of people who don't know the latter tracks and shortcuts or how to maximise the spin and drift opportunities, which chasing the unlocks in single player really teaches you.

somehow strung together a 7 race win sequence just now (which is still going), don't think I've been so successful online in any game ever.

Comment

I've had a really prolonged online go on this today and reckon its the spiritual successor to Mario Kart on SNES, I say this as Mario Kart fanboy but this has just raised the bar even taking out the creation stuff and I honestly don't see how Nintendo can stick out a 20 track game again after this.

Handling and weapons are superb and when you get matched with several like ability players you get brilliant racing and its not cheap or rubberbandy at all, more often than not you see the better players beating the lesser ones.

Handling is suitably deep for a full on proper TT mode which again mimics the SNES like feeling of perfecting shaving corners and the risky but valuable shortcuts.

What adds a great additional layer though is that you can do all this in your own creations, when you come out a series you often pick up downloads of your own stuff as if you do well people tend to have a look I think.

For me this is a proper AAA product and without doubt the best kart racer ever, possible one of the best racers.

Comment

Spent the morning reading this thread from start to finish, redownloaded the demo which didn't click first time round and just walked to Sainsbury's and back to pick up a copy.

Some of those add on mods look awesome to say the least and you guys enthusing about the game helped tip the balance.

I will be juggling this and RDR (second playthrough).

Just waiting for it to install, hurry up already!

Comment

Well two hours later and that quick blast I was going to have is still going on, modded my kart and driver, playing career mode and replaying races to make sure I catch all the unlocks before progressing. Addictive stuff I must concede.

Comment

its like that, I was going in circles modding, single player then online

went back and got the 4000 wall points challenge first time, 2 weeks in and I'm still learning depths to the handling I never knew was there.

quite educational getting whipped by a pro online, I was saving too much boost, the real speed demons are using it all the time and taking a hit where necessary rather than saving it for a lap and a half doing nothing with it. they also set top speed rather than acceleration for TT events, which makes sense.

Comment

will bear those tips in mind, thanks merf.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                        I've had a really prolonged online go on this today and reckon its the spiritual successor to Mario Kart on SNES, I say this as Mario Kart fanboy but this has just raised the bar even taking out the creation stuff and I honestly don't see how Nintendo can stick out a 20 track game again after this.
                        The problem is that they will. Even if the next MK is **** on a stick (and frankly, MK Wii was already), it will sell like 10+ million copies in a heartbeat. Even with 20 lame ass tracks.

Although i'm not too big of a Kart fan, always hated the rubberbanding etc, MNR is easily the best I've played. I'd say CTR and MK64 come in as second and third. But sadly its online is so wonky, that I don't give as much time as I would like to.

Comment

I won't say its perfect but online is getting better, more racers around and I've had no problems getting matches today at all, I usually choose XP series over single races, you get 5 races and a nice XP bonus at the end if you do well plus it seems to be what people are going for

Stability wise I've had 2 disconnects thru no faut of my own today and have been on quite a lot, must have racked up 40 or so races, not perfect but getting better.

Comment

Still single player for me, just got passed the Drillbit grudge match, had to work a little bit more for it than I thought I would. So far all unlocked. Can see it getting much trickier but it's all starting to click!

It's already been said by others but this does feel like the best kart racer I've owned and played.

Comment

Matter of fact, just managed to play some 5 ish XP races. Reasonably crowded. Snatched a victory at miners rift.

Comment

continued my weekend obsession with this (fuelled by summer lurgy bugs leaving me with no desire to go out).

ranked up online to level 21 now but the gaps between levelling getting bigger and bigger, single race now barely registers when the XP points get added in. dread to think how much time the people up at level 29-30 have put into this.

had one disconnect today but happened at end of 4th race of a series where I couldn't be caught, cost me a big 500xp pts. other than that lots of racers online and no probs getting games at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X