Portal 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portal 2

Hoorah for early release!! Just finished the single player in this. I feel a bit guilty for rushing through it, but I couldn't stop! Took around 7 hours so it's quite substantial compared to the first.

I don't want to say too much for fear of spoilers, BUT in case anyone was wondering, yes it is a worthy sequel to the original. The basics haven't changed much, but all the new additions are great. Voicework is outstanding (no surprises there) but I don't think the dialogue was quite as snappy as the first. Glados looses something when she is openly evil, but this is handled quite well. Also, the potato sack was named as such for a reason!

Will have a crack at coop tomorrow - based on the single player I've got very high expectations!
    1 Neurotoxin
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    5 Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the end of the testing period.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    10 Cake
    0%

Originally posted by mekanor
    Hoorah for early release!! Just finished the single player in this. I feel a bit guilty for rushing through it, but I couldn't stop! Took around 7 hours so it's quite substantial compared to the first.

I don't want to say too much for fear of spoilers, BUT in case anyone was wondering, yes it is a worthy sequel to the original. The basics haven't changed much, but all the new additions are great. Voicework is outstanding (no surprises there) but I don't think the dialogue was quite as snappy as the first. Glados looses something when she is openly evil, but this is handled quite well. Also, the potato sack was named as such for a reason!

Will have a crack at coop tomorrow - based on the single player I've got very high expectations!
    wow you really did nail the game.

Comment

Finished this today also, took me around the same time though I felt like i was taking my time. I have completed the original Portal several times so for me it was a tad easy, as it is difficult to get truly new game mechanics. The lasers and the paints were fun, however they wern't used often enough and the game is a little short.

Still to try the co-op though which I'm sure is fantastic by looking at the videos, really need to renew my Xbox Live sub! Stephen Merchant is very good in the part, and I have to say I did actually LOL at parts, not often that happends in a game. Got a feeling there may be some DLC coming for this though,a s I said, it's a little shorter than i would have liked for a full game.

Comment

Deploying surprise in.. 3.. 2.. 1.. *fanfare* I made It up

Test Chamber 18 (I think) had me stumped, what a brilliant solution!

Loving it and trying not to rush through it, just started chapter 4. Already my GOTY and I've only spent 2 hours with it. The opening chapter is spooky as hell too

Comment

Just a quick question regarding communication via online co-op.
          I'm getting this for the PS3 and intend to give the free PC/Mac code to my bro. I don't own a mic for the PS3 and likewise he doesn't own one for the Mac. Is there some sort of in-game visual comms device?

Comment

Originally posted by jimtendo View Post
            Just a quick question regarding communication via online co-op.
            I'm getting this for the PS3 and intend to give the free PC/Mac code to my bro. I don't own a mic for the PS3 and likewise he doesn't own one for the Mac. Is there some sort of in-game visual comms device?
            As I understand it, it isn't possible to share the game like that, as the game is linked to a single Steam account.

Comment

Yeah, it's a single shared login effectively so you can't co-op the same copy of the game.

Comment

Ah, I see. That'll teach me for not keeping in touch with Portal 2 news and whatnot.

Comment

yep if yor not using a headset there are some brilliant visual emotes in the game on co-op that really help you out.

Comment

Anyone know if you can use a 360 pad on the PC version?

Comment

I know that the PS3 version looks better than the 360 version, but how do they compare frame-rate wise?

Comment

Absolutely loving it so far.

I thought the first game was neat but a bit overhyped, this one ups everything, the production values, the humour, the creativity. This could end up being one of my games of the year

Comment

Originally posted by bcass View Post
                          I know that the PS3 version looks better than the 360 version, but how do they compare frame-rate wise?
                          It's all gone a bit daft on places like Lens of Truth with some people suggesting that Valve have actively sabotaged the graphics in the 360 version due to Microsoft not supporting Steam.

Completely stupid and I'm not sure how trustworthy opinions on there can be but some people seem to suggest they that neither of them are perfect but there isn't really anything between them when it comes to frame rate and tearing.

I wouldn't read too much into it until it's been done properly, although people are moaning on there I think both of them are fine even if the PS3 does edge it due to the higher resolution, real time lighting and antialiasing...and other stuff that makes no sense to me. I certainly don't think the 360 version looks bad and it's apparently very similar to Valve's other 360 games which going from memory were really nice when up and running even if they couldn't exactly be classed as cutting edge.

This still seems to be a very pretty game as far as I'm concerned even though it doesn't really seem to be pushing either console.

Comment

I'm in no rush to get this yet anyway, but frame rate is far more important to me than graphical effects. I always go for the 360 versions normally for achievements/leaderboards but if the PS3 starts seeing technically superior releases I'll be buying those instead. Integration wth Steam is a major boon though. Microsoft definitely dropped a bollock there.

Comment

I'd agree that better frame rate makes for a more pleasurable experience that better graphics.
                              That said I think the game runs easily maxed out on the PC with 60fps so I'd imagine the consoles should be able to do the same.

I thought the first game was neat but a bit overhyped, this one ups everything, the production values, the humour, the creativity. This could end up being one of my games of the year
                              I didn't even know the first game was hyped at all? I'd never heard of it until I saw it as a kind of added bonus in the Orange Box.

Comment

Working...
                              X