Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Williams pinball classics (360/PS3/Wii/PSP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Williams pinball classics (360/PS3/Wii/PSP)

Well picked this up today for 360 & so far after quite a few hours of solid gameplay i thought i'd post my impressions. Firstly this was previously released on import last year but only just headed to the uk. Not sure if there has been any other improvements since the older release but i have read online that the tables had been redone in a higher resolution to look nicer & indeed they do.

Instead of the wonderful pinball FX2 which had tables that were originals & not real tables, williams pinball classics is based on real pinball tables from mostly solid state games from the 80's, however theres a few dot matrix games in there too. For me Tales of the arabian nights, medievil madness & funhouse are worth the price of this alone but theres 13 tables in there to keep you entertained. The frontend for the game is great it's set in a 3d arcade complete with all the sounds you would expect to hear in the background, you just scroll to the table you want & play. The game is set up where it requires credits to play & you unlock more credits as you beat high scores & complete modes on the tables. If you earn enough credits you can buy freeplay on that table & play as much as you want. Each table has 2 sets of goals theres the table goals & then the wizard goals. The basic stuff is like score so many points or hit all a certain row of targets ect, the wizard targets are more for clearing a certain mode or doing something a lot harder, completing these challenges gives you more credits to play tables with. Theres something called the williams challenge that you can take where you have to play every table one after another & get a certain high score with only 3 attempts on each table if you fail you have to start over, completing this allows you access to the 13th table.

The ball physics are reasonably done but i do find the ball feels a bit floaty but thats because im used to the extremely good physics on pinball FX2, however they are totally acceptable & you will get a feel for the ball. The flippers are solid & shots behave as you'd expect them. The tables sounds are all authentically reproduced. Theres an adjustable camera with enough angles to satisfy most players, all in all it's a nicely put together complilation & lets face it pinball games are pretty uncommon nowdays so if you love pinball definately worth picking up.

Oh & heres a trailer for the too lazy to read peeps hehe
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

You convinced me...been thinking of getting a pinball game for a while and for ?17.85 (from the awful Zavvi tho so hopefully they dont balls up my order as they usually do)...

was quite hard to find it actually. Seeing as my local Gamestation didnt even have EDF today I doubt they would have this either.

Will hopefully be on the mat when I get back from holiday!

Comment

Yeah i was teling my mate the same thing, he has ordered it from Zavvi too. When i went into game on release day yesterday they had only 2 copies of it in the entire shop.

Last night i had a marathon session & actually managed to complete the williams challenge, still in shock as some of the tables i barely managed to get the required high score. It's a pretty harsh challenge to do all 12 tables in a row but you get a nice 100G achievement for doing it.

Forgot to mention something from yesterday, the instruction mode in this game is fantastic & one area where it totally excells compared to pinball FX2's rather obscure instructions for their tables. In this game you are actually talked through every shot & mode with the view zooming in on the areas you need to aim for & things pointing out with arrows, it makes learning the tables a lot easier if you have never had the oppertunity to play them for real. Even though this is a budget title they made a lot of effort even down to the manual in the box, even thats in full colour & gives the history of every table in the collection which i thought was a really nice touch.

Comment

had this on import fo the ps3 many moons ago - its very good and worth picking up if your a fan

still not as good as Last Gladiators 9.7 or Necromonicon for the Saturn though ;-)

Comment

Saw this in my local Game for ?24.99, tho' as its been pointed out by Loftgroover, its cheaper from Zavvi online.

I hope to pick it up shortly, as there is a great selection of tables on offer.

I believe the PS3 and 360 versions differ from each other sligthly as eachvhave a couple or so different tables that the other does'nt have.

Comment

Between the ps3 & 360 they are identical they have the same tables, however the PSP & Wii version have 3 less tables.

Comment

The PS3 version's Trophies are different, and miles easier to earn.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                Between the ps3 & 360 they are identical they have the same tables, however the PSP & Wii version have 3 less tables.
                I stand corrected.

Comment

I heard about that on the ps3 version, i heard on ps3 you only have to beat high scores to get the achievements?. Finally competed a set of wizard goals unlocking the extras for that table, when you get all 5 wizard goals in the gameplay options for that table you can change the ball design, turn off the tilt or even mirror the table so it becomes different however mirroring the table doesnt affect the flippers they stay the same.

Hardest challenge so far was the williams one, beating all the set scores on all 12 tables one after another was haaaaaard especially with that evil 2 replays only.
                  Last edited by importaku; 23-07-2011, 21:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                    I stand corrected.
                    This is a list of all the tables in the collection

Black Knight
                    Firepower
                    Funhouse
                    Gorgar
                    Pin*Bot
                    Space Shuttle
                    Taxi
                    Whirlwind
                    Jive Time (Unlockable from completing wiliams challenge)
                    Sorcerer

The 3 extra tables added to the 360 & PS3 versions were

Medieval Madness
                    Tales Of The Arabian Nights
                    No Good Gofers
                    Last edited by importaku; 23-07-2011, 22:27.

Comment

Regarding the improvements supposedly made to the european release, I've found this on the european publisher's website:

The European release features multiple improvements over its US counterparts, such as an improved camera system, remodelled table parts and improved ball physics.
                      I'm a bit skeptical about this announcement, to say the least, so if anyone finds any other information to substantiate or dismiss it, please post it here as I'd be interested to know.

Comment

Well i know about the Harem multiball been borked on the original version according to various message boards, managed to get that last night pretty easy so im guessing they have fixed that at least. Not sure about the rest as i have never played the import release, doubt were going to find anyone who is going to buy it twice to find out.

Managed to complete a few more sets of table goals so im a few more achievements closer to that 1k, dreading medievil madness as the wizard mode is hard to beat hehe.

Comment

I have Williams Pinball Hall of Fame on PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 and have just bought the PAL 360 and PSP versions.
                          They have definitely improved some of the 3D models if I compare the NTSC PS3 and PAL 360 version. Not everything, but bits here and there. I played Funhouse first, and the first thing that struck me was the ramp with the diverter on looks a lot better.

Comment

@sincil

Thanks for shedding some light on this matter. I was convinced they had included a patch on the disc version and decided that was reason enough to call it 'improved', but it's nice to know it has actually been tweaked.

@importaku

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                            [...]doubt were going to find anyone who is going to buy it twice to find out.
                            Originally posted by sincil View Post
                            I have Williams Pinball Hall of Fame on PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 and have just bought the PAL 360 and PSP versions.
                            That'll teach you, o ye of little faith!

All we need now is for someone to manufacture a commercial version of this:

Last edited by Deuteros; 24-07-2011, 22:59.

Comment

Lol i know, what are the odds. I stand fully corrected, Sincil thanks for the info.

That custom controller is awesome, a tad overkill for a ?24.99 game but awesome all the same
                              Last edited by importaku; 24-07-2011, 23:14.

Comment

Working...
                              X