Star Wars: The Old Republic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars: The Old Republic

So this is the first MMORPG I have ever actually bought, mainly becuase I play too many games to get involved with something so potentially addicting, so I might not be the best person to compare it to other games in the genre, I can however compare it to other Star Wars and Bioware games, and can say that so far it seems to do both the universe it's is set in and it's developer justice.

The game took around 2 hours to install, which quite frankly seems insane to me but maybe it's actually normal for this type of game I don't know. It also took a further 20 minutes to set up my account and by this point I was just thinking that it better be bloody good. Luckily it is.

Although its an online game and there are lots of people running around it does feel a lot like the other old republic games, it's very story focused and each class (there are 8 of them) has their own set of missions that advance their plot line. The voice acting and cut scenes are really well done and they are what you would expect from Bioware really, perhapse the dialogue trees aren't as varied as in their last few games but it uses something that looks and feels very similar to the system found in Mass Effect 2 whenever you speak to someone, and that's fine by me.

The combat is pretty satisfying, I don't think it does anything new within the genre but it does do it really well regardless, it's accessible without feeling overly simple. In fact the game plays really well in general and I don't really have many complaints so far, though I can't seem to find anywhere that it states how much more XP I need to level up which might seem like a little thing but it's annoying me all the same, though maybe its there and I am just missing it, I don't know.

The game runs really well on my humble i5 laptop, with a g force 520m graphics card, and 6gb of ram. I have everything set to maximum besides shadows, which are set to low, and it runs as smooth as anything (however having shadows on high causes it to slow down ALOT).

So yeah, so far it's great....I just hope I don't get too addicted.

Glad to hear they've optimized the game it bit better since my experience of the beta a week or two back - rather annoying bug with that where the graphics settings would frequently reset themselves to their lowest values.

Might get back into it next year once I'm done with Skyrim.

Comment

Is this game confirmed for consoles? Looks pretty sweet but I just sold my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
        Is this game confirmed for consoles? Looks pretty sweet but I just sold my computer.
        No and most likely it never will.

Comment

Whats the monthly subscription fee on this then? Will buy it when i get paid friday, but i thought it might be worth mentioning.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero9X View Post
            Whats the monthly subscription fee on this then? Will buy it when i get paid friday, but i thought it might be worth mentioning.
            Think it's ?8.99 a month

Comment

Yeah it's 8.99

It comes with 30 days free

After levelling up a bit more in loving the combat in this, as a Jedi pouncing at enemies and chopping through them using a combination of moves is highly satisfying.

I'm a bit disappointed that there seems to be no punishment for death what do ever, but oh well I guess you can't have everything.
              Last edited by rmoxon; 20-12-2011, 18:47.

Comment

I'm glad there is no punishment for death always hated it in any mmo.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero9X View Post
                  I'm glad there is no punishment for death always hated it in any mmo.
                  Well it not so much the lack of punishment as it is the fact that as far as I can tell you can almost instantly revive in the exact same place you died. If they are going to let you constantly revive then they need to at least make you pay for it or somthing otherwise the fact that you can die at all just seems pointless.

Comment

Every time you die the wait time to be revived increases.

Comment

I really like punishment for deaths. It promotes serious play and cuts down the amount of time wasters you end up playing with.

Comment

Yeah, I don't understand death having no point, they might as well make you unkillable.

Comment

Btw how does the downtime increase after each death anyway? So far ive only been down for about 20 seconds at most.

Comment

I think its if you die within a certain period of time the gap gets bigger, and of course your gear degrades.

Comment

Level 15 last I played, PSU decided to blow up. Excellent game. Solo play is amazing as the story is decent enough to keep you interested. Maybe it's a bit on the easy side so far though. What limited group play I've had has been in the first Flashpoint (read: 4 player instanced dungeon) and I found it highly enjoyable. During cutscenes you each pick what you would like to say on the wheel, and whoever rolls highest gets to say it, your character gets a little screen action and it feels pretty cool to win the roll on certain scenes.

PvP was good fun, can easily get addicted to it. Plenty of PvP rewards to be had and a nice veriety of game modes. Can't wait to get back in

Comment

Working...
                              X