Trials Evolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trials Evolution

Out today, managed a quick blast at lunchtime.

Initial impressions are very good indeed. Frazzled nerves, broken controllers (and relationships for that matter), this is basically going to more of the same following on from Trials HD, which is no bad thing at all.

As soon as the game starts up, the ramped-up production values are immediately obvious. Everything looks and feel much more fleshed out here. Instead of a just a bare-bones Easy, Medium etc. selection of tracks, you start off with a 'licence' test, which is really just a basic tutorial at the end of which you unlock the first bike. After that you can get straight into the proper tracks, which are grouped together into distinct sets of challenges across a map of sorts.

Even within the first couple of easy tracks you can see how much more work has gone into the design this time. You're not stuck inside a grotty warehouse now and there's great variety, even this early on (is the second track a nod to CoD?) Several of the early tracks also feel a lot bigger vertically, with a couple of mental freefalls already.

Apparently the bike physics have been ever so slightly tweaked for Evolution, but I really didn't notice. Maybe that might become more apparent on harder courses, or with different bikes (of which there seems to be quite a few!), but as far as I can tell, this is the Trials we all know and love (and hate).

Not tried online yet, but I managed to get 550th place on some track out of 19000, which I was chuffed with for a first go. This will no doubt be whipped comprehensively by tonight, and especially as some dudes on my friends list get into it, but expect the familiar compulsive urge to beat your times... I had to tear myself away earlier to get back to work.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Add me please - mad gear 16bit

Had a quick go earlier and it's as expected, frikkin fantastic!! The same but more.

Comment

Had a little go, loved the bike trials parts, hated the ball thing and the daft flying bit on the bike :P
      Last edited by SUMIRE; 18-04-2012, 15:52.

Comment

Is this region restricted or is it just not up on xbox.com yet?
        I only see a trailer - no demo or purchase. What do you see on this page?

Not that I am in any way shape or form attempting to get hold of this evil piece of software.
        Last edited by charlesr; 18-04-2012, 16:51.

Comment

That's some kind of splash page, here's the marketplace link

Comment

Yeah, couldn't find it myself on xbox.com this morning, then saw someone on my friends list playing it and I found it by getting on to the marketplace on the 360 itself. God knows why that is.

And Charles, we all know you *will* be getting this game. In fact, you might as well give in now.

Will add you shortly Mad Gear. You want to add some of the Trials chaps off here too. Some of the times are simultaneously encouraging and exasperating.

Comment

I'm trying to resist as have a stack of games, downloading demo now tho!

Comment

If anyone gets big headed about their times on this thread I'll have to get my bike out the garage!

I have exactly 1203 points on my account too. I must resist!!!!!

Comment

Buy it!
                  I will be soon enough when I have cleared some space on the hard drive
                  So much content in this game, it's a bargain even at full price!

Comment

Awesome as expected. If anyone wants to compare times then feel free to add me.

Comment

Solid game.

It will be interesting to see what people can do with the advance editor - having looked at it briefly, it's going to take some dedication to get anything worthwhile out of it. Patience definitely required. Excellent to see such an advance feature in an XBLA title though - well worth the 1200 MSP.

Comment

Excellent game, held off till get paid again but v tempting even tho I have a pile to play. Love the way mp works for each single player track from demo

Comment

Never bothered much with the first, and already gnawing my teeth at my lack of control with this.

On saying that, it is a lot of fun when I manage to hook up a string of neat jumps, just unlocked some 450cc beast and i suck even more.

Feel free to add my live name for a nice confidence booster

Comment

I have done Inferno 3! I feel like a god! A god that just fell off a motorbike 289 times in 18 minutes!

I think there's a bug though, it's still telling me that Charles hasn't bought it but he must have caved by now

Comment

Good game is good.
                              Trials HD was always in my top 5 of games on the 360 and Evolution has just upped the standard from the high level it was at before.

Pros -
                              So nice to get outside and scramble across some amazing environments and set pieces. I won't spoil anything but one area in particular stands out already.
                              Controls have stayed exactly the same.
                              The level editor is already getting the community creating some innovative designs.
                              It's a good inclusion to earn money which you then use to customise your bike/rider.
                              Music is actually pretty cool!

Con -
                              Some tracks for the first run have so much going on on-screen that it can be hard to tell where you are meant to be going, especially when the track bends round a corner.

Comment

Working...
                              X