Gran Turismo 6 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gran Turismo 6 review

So after about 30 minutes of patching and getting through some awkward bug where my sound wouldn't work I finally played this for a few hours earlier.

First thing that really struck me is this is, to put it bluntly, a game that feels very "last gen". The arrival of the new consoles, and more importantly Forza 5 has shown just how good a game like this can look, and sadly this being on the PS3 means it doesn't look half as good as a new game really should now. The cars generally look great, but the environments are boring, lifeless, and feature some pretty bad scenery, I don't even remember the 5th game looking this bad, but it probably did, and again I have just been spoilt with the new consoles.

As for the game itself, it plays very much like any other game in the series, you get a car, race, buy more cars ect. For me GT above all else has always been the Pok?mon of car racing games, collecting cars is one of the biggest pulls and this is no exception. I like the new more simplistic style of the menus, and finding what you want to do (and buy) feels like a hassle free experience. If nothing else, they have at least got the front end right, and this is one thing it does a lot better than Forza.

Another thing that's done well is the structure, you are constantly unlocking cups, licence tests and special challenges in a way that feels more enjoyable than in GT 5. While I eventually got bored of the grind in the last game I really cant imagine this getting stale for a long time due to the sheer variety that's seemingly on off

If you've played the demo you already know how it plays, and it does indeed play well, and the cars handle great, but as usual its not very challenging for most part, at least not in the early stages and the only way I could get any challenge what so ever was to turn all the assists off. Things like no penalties for gigantic corner cutting and lack of damage really hurt the game in this respect, because you can still cheat, by ramming opponents off the road and taking short cuts whenever possible.

Overall, I am enjoying the game, and to be honest its pretty much just what you'd expect it to be, another Gran Turismo game, and from what I have played so far Id say that while its not really much better, its certainly not any worse than what has come before it.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Oh yeah one other thing I forgot to mention are the load times....

...They are bad.

Get ready to watch a spinning Icon for 30 seconds before every race.

Comment

I've had an hours play and totally agree with the first post, sure it's had a bit of spit and polish and the menu's and garage look smartened up but it could be classed as Gran Turismo 5.5 quite easily, yes the cars do look lovely and detailed but it's at the expense of the scenery you feel. As rmoxon says, winning does feel more rewarding and the star system is quite a nice addition.

I thought the AI was slightly more aggressive, but not the toughening up I was expecting.

If you like the GT series you'll enjoy this latest incarnation, if not it won't do anything to convert you.

Now just need to find out how to claim my GT Academy car for free....

Comment

To claim the car you just need to go to vision GT section and accept it as a gift.

Can only be done once though, so If you sell it its gone....

....Or are you talking about a different car?
        Last edited by rmoxon; 06-12-2013, 20:08.

Comment

Im stil desperately wanting this "series" to be a racing game, the best there is or could be. Alas it sounds like its just the same as 1-5 inside, and therefore so will be 7 and beyond, new consoles or not.

I trust that online leaderboards for the tracks is in this time though?

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
            To claim the car you just need to go to vision GT section and accept it as a gift.

Can only be done once though, so If you sell it its gone....

....Or are you talking about a different car?
            Yes I was talking about the Nissan used in the GT Academy contest in the summer. Doesn't appear that anyone has it yet looking on GTPlanet. I have the Mercedes thanks, very nice looking car.

Originally posted by englishbob View Post
            Im stil desperately wanting this "series" to be a racing game, the best there is or could be. Alas it sounds like its just the same as 1-5 inside, and therefore so will be 7 and beyond, new consoles or not.
            Must admit I've only seen online Friend leaderboards in the licence tests so far, but I've not played around in all the parts of the game yet.

Last edited by VR46; 06-12-2013, 22:55.

Comment

Originally posted by englishbob View Post

Good point. Is it so?

Comment

Not so far from what I can see. You need the third licence to play online properly and I dont have that yet. Goodwood is great but still no online leaderboards.

Comment

While the series has more variety and plays better now there are some things I miss from the older games. Second hand cars for instance, part of the charm of starting out in the first few games stemmed from how you would start out with a second hand piece of junk and turn it into a racing machine. Why did they remove that?

These games are now a much colder and less personal an experience becuase of things like the above.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                    While the series has more variety and plays better now there are some things I miss from the older games. Second hand cars for instance, part of the charm of starting out in the first few games stemmed from how you would start out with a second hand piece of junk and turn it into a racing machine. Why did they remove that?

These games are now a much colder and less personal an experience becuase of things like the above.
                    That's a shame. So, there are no cars you can upgrade to to like a rally version with fitting liveries?

Comment

Yes the tuning and modified parts bits are still in GT6, but currently there is no used car market, whether that's a planned update next year like B-Spec and some other bits I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH View Post
                        Yes the tuning and modified parts bits are still in GT6, but currently there is no used car market, whether that's a planned update next year like B-Spec and some other bits I don't know.
                        That's a shame it was the best bit getting a rubbish car and tune up for massive power.

Are new cars in the game more or less expensive with no used cars available ?

Comment

Same prices as GT5 really. Prize money is about the same too, so no ramping them up to get you to buy credits.

The game really does open up and become a lot more fun after 90 minutes play, the special events like Goodwood and Lunar ones are good fun. Licence tests and the little sub tests are better/more enjoyable, that part of the game is nicely done.

The online seasonal events have friend and worldwide online leaderboards - that's the only place I've seen them so far.

Comment

Really love the idea of the lunar rover levels , how many are there ? These little touches make me want it more than forza. I wish this game had come out sooner

Comment

Three levels so far, but they are quite long ie over 3.5 minutes each. The moon buggy is so slow though.

Comment

Working...
                              X