No announcement yet.

Destiny 360/PS3/XBOX ONE/PS4 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never seen a ?50 game become useless when an add-on has been released. This is an interesting practice from Activision and Bungie and I hope it doesn't set a precedent.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ View Post
      I have never seen a ?50 game become useless when an add-on has been released. This is an interesting practice from Activision and Bungie and I hope it doesn't set a precedent.
      This is activision we're talking about. Practices like this will only get worse as everyone keeps buying it. Stop buying it and send them a message.

Comment

If you bought the two previous DLC's, why wouldn't you buy this one?
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Not defending Activision here, as their practices are highly questionable, and their influence on Destiny has obviously been detrimental, but it always makes me laugh when people quote the full RRP of a game in these sorts of arguments. Since the advent of Xbox Live and PSN and correspondingly cheap points cards from the like of ebay and cdkeys, I don't think I've ever come close to paying full RRP for a game.

Comment

I paid ?40 for the original and ?40 for the TTK version...minus the ?15 I got trade in I've paid ?65 all in.

Expensive but I've got nearly 9days of playtime out of it so far according to the app.

Comment

It's essentially the same as FIFA or any other annual title. You are required to pay up each year to keep current. It isn't a new thing, I don't know what all the whining is about.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                It's essentially the same as FIFA or any other annual title. You are required to pay up each year to keep current. It isn't a new thing, I don't know what all the whining is about.
                Your old copy of Fifa works just fine when the next one comes out. Activision/bungie are actively removing features and gating them behind the expansion when they were there from day one. This is a pretty shady practice and I wouldn't be surprised if it's in breach of consumer rights to be honest.

Comment

Nobody plays their old copy though.

Activision aren't breaching any rights whatsoever. If they made vanilla Destiny 100% redundant, then perhaps there would be some legal issues.

It's pay-to-play AKA put up or shut up.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

If I were to buy a PS4 and buy Destiny, what could I play if I didn't get all the DLC packs?

Secondly, after being out for ages now, would I perpetually be playing catch up with everybody else?

Comment

You can play the original story mode and limited online content. If you don't buy the DLC, you cannot play what everyone else is playing, so you don't have the means to catch anybody up. It'd be as though you don't exist to TTK players.

Not buying the DLC is a pointless exercise TBH.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I think if you stuck it out through the first two DLC packs then you'll find value in this but for me it's still massively overpriced.

I bought the original with the season pass digitally in the initial hype and got bored of it at level 30. Some of the changes in this sound like steps in the right direction but in terms of price it's still not swaying me. You get a discount if you own the original digitally but it's still the price of a full game. Sorry but that's way too rich.

I might bite if it drops later in the year but with so many other games out in the next free months I really don't think it'll bring me back. The mere fact they removed options for non DLC owners who paid for the original makes me not want to give them any more of my hard earned.

I know that's Activision and not Bungie but it's still quite sick to lure people one way and shaft them at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          If I were to buy a PS4 and buy Destiny, what could I play if I didn't get all the DLC packs?

Secondly, after being out for ages now, would I perpetually be playing catch up with everybody else?
                          It would be silly to buy just destiny now what with vanilla destiny plus all the dlc costing ?35 in the ttk pack. if your new to it that's a hell of a bargain, I'm nearing 748 hours with this game according to time wasted on destinys website. most time I've ever spent on a game before this is about a 100.

As for being locked out of content it's a bit of a myth every bit of game you had access to when destiny came out you still have access too bar two high level playlists, you can still do the first raid all the crucibal maps all the story and all the original strikes, but because of the nature of daily heroic and nightfalls these playlist have to move and evolve with the game.

I can't really see a way how bungie would keep them low level and still give the top rewards, if they did keep these playlists on vannila content then they would be omitting all the new strikes from the nightfalls they would be super easy and the game would stagnate and become boring.
                          Last edited by Lebowski; 21-09-2015, 10:34.

Comment

Personally I think people don't actually get it. TTK is essentially Destiny 2. It's the size of the original game in terms of content, perhaps even bigger.

If you think of it as a standalone title whereby you can upload your save from a different game, then it makes more sense. Judging it as merely DLC is wrong.

The physical release is the most economical as you can sell the previous one to recoup some of the cost. The only reason I D/L'd it is because I knew I would spend lots of time with it with no intention to sell it after two weeks like many do. They did give you a massive clue that you'd have to pay with some regularity when they said the franchise would last for ten years after all.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Thanks, [MENTION=960]Lebowski[/MENTION]. I didn't realise that the TTK pack had everything with it.
                              I'm glad you're getting a lot of play out of it. I can't believe how many hours you've clocked up. That's practically a job!
                              I'm still irked only a few of us put any time into EDF 2025 when it has everything the like of Bloodborne and Destiny have!
                              Hang your heads, Bordersdownies.

Thanks @J0e!

I'm just trying to get my head around it all.
                              From your "pay-to-play" analogy, I thought it'd be similar to an MMO and just be a case of extra missions are restricted, but it sounds like they're messing about with the whole thing.

You can't level up to Lvl40 without TTK, but all the new weapons are level 40, plus weapons you could get before are now locked.

I really like the look of Destiny with it's interesting design and story, but if I'm honest, J0e, I'm a bit old skool and don't think people should be punished for not buying each and every DLC pack that comes out. It should have some element of choice and they should be adding value to your existing purchase, not taking away without it.

I think I'm going to steer clear of it, because I'm uncomfortable with the pricing model they are using. By the time I get around to buying it, they'll have another DLC to buy!

Plus you all sound like nerdy virgins with all your talk of exotic engrams from Xur. It's like Dark Souls again!

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                                Personally I think people don't actually get it. TTK is essentially Destiny 2. It's the size of the original game in terms of content, perhaps even bigger.

If you think of it as a standalone title whereby you can upload your save from a different game, then it makes more sense. Judging it as merely DLC is wrong.

The physical release is the most economical as you can sell the previous one to recoup some of the cost. The only reason I D/L'd it is because I knew I would spend lots of time with it with no intention to sell it after two weeks like many do. They did give you a massive clue that you'd have to pay with some regularity when they said the franchise would last for ten years after all.
                                Well I would argue they rushed the game and gave us half of it last year so that's probably why it doesn't sit right with me. The story at launch was practically non existent. The leveling system was just broken and I still think they should add matchmaking to raids. That's all my opinion of course.

To me if this is the same size I think it should be half the price of a normal retail title. Or at least maybe go the EA access route and give people a free ten hours to sample the changes. I know the crucible stuff was unlocked for a while but to me most of the issues lay in the campaign elements so that wasn't really a taste.

Comment

Working...
                                X