DriveClub [PS4] review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave heats View Post
    I'm watching what Evolution plan to do regarding compensation very closely. I haven't bothered playing this properly since completing the single player, as there's naff all point.

This continuous lack of updates on the situation, no indication of timeframe for when it can be fixed, no indication of what they are going to do to say sorry to day one buyers, and the fact they've released an unfinished game to begin with has started to get me a bit pissed off to say the least.

If it's not fixed this weekend, I'll be taking it down CEX and getting something else.
    Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but I'm coming to the end of single player content and I don't much fancy just doing time trials against my own times.

Bayo 2 next week and Sunset Overdrive the week after means this may well get the chop.

Comment

This sounds like a complete balls up to me. To delay a game a year and then have it release in a state like this has unfortunately knocked it under the radar for many anticipating it I feel.

Comment

It's a shame as the thought of all 6 club members in the same race against another club of 6 is a massive draw to keep the game but I just feel it's too far away.

Also, the representation of challenges in the opening movie is far more entertaining than in game. In the movie they're on the rear of the car like the pick ups in Blur and they're colourful whereas in game they're white and hidden at the bottom of the screen.

Comment

I have just been trying to level up to unlock a better selection of cars. To activate the Club and make the most of the cars I invited my original PSN account (RogsR34UK) to be a member. That is currently sitting at Lv 18 which has resulted in Bordersdown 2 sitting at Lv 6. It would obviously cause problems for full Club racing (when/if it happens!). I'd need to upgrade to PS+ before then I suppose. I need to get some more levels on my preferred account now (RogsR35UK).

I must say I find some of the tracks a little difficult to see in poor light the game sets. Also the PS4 is just a little too far from where I sit which causes minor problems when the controller is charging, though less of an issue if i have to sit forward to see where the track goes (not good for my back unfortunately... I guess I need a Forza Horison 2 break)!

I need more PS4 games as I only have this and Minecraft, which, after my previous problems with the Unlock, I was able to finally get as the cheap purchase (have it for PS3... and now Vita) for the R35 account. Having said that Borderlands - The Pre-Sequel should arrive tomorrow (will need to dust off the 360) and I also have Sunset Overddrive on pre-order for the end of the month. The two Pokemon games are due next month I believe. Just as well I have plenty of time for gaming!

Comment

Managed to stay online long enough last night to upgrade the club a couple more levels, but had a real WTF moment...on a 3 lap race race my controller died and the game continues to run. Takes about 3 minutes it get my other controller and get back onto it. So at this point I should have been lapped and the race pretty much over, right?

Wrong......I start racing again, catch the cars all bunched up a couple of corners later and go on to win the race. Absolutely pathetic.

But, but, BUT.....I still keep playing it ! The comparison that comes to mind is Saturn Daytona.....a technical train wreck, but fantastic sense of speed and it is an enjoyable game when it's not shooting itself in the foot.

Comment

Nice one Dazza, that basically proves the rubber banding theory in this....even though the developers have categorically denied it being in there. Utterly shocking to even suggest it's not in there.

So much to not like about it, but as you say, it keeps pulling you back in. If the 1.4 patch has solved the issues, I'll be trying online again tonight.

Comment

To be compared to Daytona USA though..

Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                  This sounds like a complete balls up to me. To delay a game a year and then have it release in a state like this has unfortunately knocked it under the radar for many anticipating it I feel.
                  The biggest balls up is that people still bought it despite knowing the issues. You get what you pay for.

Comment

I can confirm the new patch has done naff all.

Comment

I guess there will be a vacant spot in the club as you're leaving us, dave?

Comment

I'll keep you posted on that chap, but unless things change with the servers, I'll be trading in this weekend. I can see it being weeks before they fully fix the online side of things!

Comment

Originally posted by dave heats View Post
                          I'll keep you posted on that chap, but unless things change with the servers, I'll be trading in this weekend. I can see it being weeks before they fully fix the online side of things!
                          Ditto. Got more important things to do than keep checking for updates.

Comment

dunno, i'm quite enjoying it.

Great graphics (groundbreaking in some places; some of those time lapse shots to night racing are amazing), nice fast gameplay split between arcade and sim, great sound, decent handling and locations.

Comment

Started on this properly so my views are somewhat coloured by coming in on the back of going through Horizon 2. There are moments where the game looks nice, mostly it looks distinctly average... sometimes it's visually horrific. Not sure what's causing it but there's an occasional judder to the image too.

Though you do get used to the controls, the handling model is crap. Simple as. It's like you're steering a cardboard box half the time, there's no weight or sense of connection to the road. Now, if I think of this as a cheapish PSN effort it kind of starts to click and make sense but the really, really depressing aspect is that it's not one, it's a key first party title. It kind of staggers the mind as to how the product we have came to be, such is the sheer raft of issues it has.

Probably the oddest aspect though is that it manages to just about hold it together enough to keep you playing. It's like I'm playing a HD remaster of a decent, competent PS2 era racer. I want to say I think it's outright rubbish... but it's not. It's not good either... it's just kind of... curious.

I would literally be fascinated to know the story behind it one day as it's clear that something went seriously wrong. I agree with the comments that it's astounding Sony didn't cancel it, nothing makes sense about the project. Ironically, it's that curiosity that's keeping me playing. Online doesn't really seem to be an issue as to whether it's there or not as even with it there's nothing unique to the title and it's not solid enough that I feel many would stick with it even with the perfect launch.

So far my verdict would be.... Incredibly Compelling like looking at a Car Crash

Comment

Sounds like the Haze title of the ps4, which is a shame, i was really psyched for a great release title social racing game, but it looks like it went to the xbone side instead

Comment

Working...
                                X