No announcement yet.

Outrun 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Arcade" operators frequently need shooting in the face.
    AMEN!

I ate these people with a vengeance - they are so stupid! ft: A friend of mine got banned from our local arcade when we were at college; because he kept finishing Super SF2 Turbo. I know that sounds totally ridiculous but I swear it's true, where do these idiots crawl out from?

Myself and 3 other friends got thrown out of Troc (b4 I was permenently banned) when I was playing Pump It Up. They were waiting for me to finish my go when security rudely chucked us out - reason? "Control reported that there were a group of black guys just hanging around" - my friends werent even from London, they were visiting for the day from Reading so it's not like we're there all the time or anything

I still dont understand why the hell they permenently banned me anyway, dont stop me going there I get chucked out if spotted but if I keep my hair under my hat they dont recognise me!

(as much as I hate that company they have F-Zero and Outrun and I'm such a little slut for them games )

Comment

**** man, that is bad. Security guys are crazy. I was once thrown out of WHSmith as an 8 year old with my brother for reading the blurbs of books.

I was trying to decide what to get.

Is there anything you can do about the Troc problem. I feel for you.

Comment

Does anyone have a list of UK arcades that have Outrun 2? Pain in the arse going to London everytime something comes out.

When I were a lad we had four arcades in our town, grumble, grumble...

Comment

Arcades outside of Asia and a few parts of the US are complete and utter ****. It really is time someone built a chain of arcades here in Europe and did things properly.

Trocadero should be half the size it is and 90% sit down Jamma cabinets. Throw in a couple of racers, a couple of dance machines and a couple of lightgun games and you have the right mix.

And as everybody said. The building has absolutely no atmosphere. It's just a dingy **** hole.

Comment

Well i had my 1st go of this at the Trafford Centre (manchester) last saturday night only got to end of stage 3...

Only consolation was that i beat my mate in the vs mode

Some guy was able to finish it on a pretty regular basis either in Outrun mode or Heartbeat mode, getting AAA in heartebeat!!

Comment

Originally posted by aidey6
              Some guy was able to finish it on a pretty regular basis either in Outrun mode or Heartbeat mode, getting AAA in heartebeat!!
              Someone got AAA???

Maybe my score isn't top anymore? Serves me right. That's what I get when I don't play for 2 weeks *sob*

me knows what I'll be doing tommorrow

Comment

What are your Heart Attack scores? I spent the whole of Monday afternoon playing Outrun 2 and pulled off a Heart Attack score of 1579.

Went to Troc for F Zero, but... you know how it is

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
                  What are your Heart Attack scores? I spent the whole of Monday afternoon playing Outrun 2 and pulled off a Heart Attack score of 1579.

Went to Troc for F Zero, but... you know how it is

I bow down to your Heart Attack greatness. My 1067 seems utterly pathetic in comparison. Definately going to play again tonight now.

Comment

Its all about Special Request #3

Got 1509 in the Play2Win on Oxford Street too (I'm assuming linkup machines share their high scores, if not its the left hand machine at Play2Win and the Troc).

I'd only played Outrun 2 once before yesterday /smug

Comment

The actual scoreboards for linked machines are differnt for 1up and 2up sides, so I try to make sure my name is top on the HA and TA boards on both sides (which is annoying as the machine at Trafford Centre has really low volume on 1up side so I hate to use it ).

Just spent an hour and a half playing and I posted an F40 TA score of 4'35"XXX whic beat my existing Testarossa record by 2 and a half seconds (which a ton of potential to improve).

Heart Attack wise I upgraded my score to 1232 which still doesn't challenge yours but revealed some interesting snippets on how scoring works. As you mention chaining the Special Request sections is a must. On the first 2 stages (where it seems impossible to get Special Requests) I only had a total of around 230 hearts yet after getting 3 Special Requests in row I got the final score you see above. Clearly Special Request = mucho hearts.

Also the harder routes do seem to offer greater scoring potential Instead of taking the all left route which I normally stick with, the score above was obtained with left-left-right-left finishing up at Metorpolis and my score benefitted imensely.

Which leaves me with a request of my own. Your score you got, what were the combinations of getting it. Car selected, route, stage by stage score breakdown (if you know it). Heck, even music selected if you think it made a difference.

Impart and educate

Comment

Originally posted by C'
                        Impart and educate
                        Ah, go on then

The setup:

yellow F365/50 (think thats the model) - good handling is critical for the Special Requests

AT - speed/time isn't too important (good for the over taking parts)

Magical Sound Shower - of course.

I chose the easy route (always left). It's quite useful to be familiar with the challenges so that you drift and brake at the right moments before approaching them (to make sure you have the right speed and you're not drifting). You don't want to be drifting into a 'don't crash' challenge (Stage 4 that can happen). Familiarity is the main reason I didn't try some of the other stages.

On a good run at easy route the end of stage scores are something like:

Stage 1 - 129 hearts
                        Stage 2 - 285 hearts
                        Stage 3 - 600 hearts
                        Stage 4 - 1025 hearts
                        Stage 5 - 1750 hearts (guestimate, I always screwed up the last set of cones)

Getting a Special Request seems to depend on the total number of hearts.

There isn't much room to improve on that Stage 1 score (just a few more vehicles that could be overtaken if you chose a faster car), so I think the Special Requests must start from Stage 3 onwards.

In which case the possibilities are:

Stage 3 - Special Request 1
                        Stage 4 - Special Request 1 or 2
                        Stage 5 - Special Request 1, 2, or 3

I think perhaps the Special Request # must be some kind of multiplier, the points you get for #3 are crazy.

For a good overall score you need to get to Stage 5 with 1000+ points and receive Special Request 3, which means a near perfect run up to that point.

The challenges:

Overtake - very simple, take the racing line, make sure you approach at full speed. Try not to drift if possible, and stay on the tarmac.

Don't Crash - tougher version of above, slow down a little if you have to, or more reliably go flat out and overtake as many flashing cars as possible before hitting a difficult (drifting) corner. Towards the end, if you have to, you can get away with leaving the tarmac if it means you prevent drifting or crashing.

Drift - fairly simple, again make sure you approach at top speed, and start drifting early enough. Later stages you'll need to learn when to switch directions. Try to keep fighting the wheel, it gains you hearts at a faster rate (super secret!)

Drive on Red/Blue - These sections always seem to be on corners that you need to drift. Slow a little (say down to 150), drift into it, stay on the tarmac. Main tactic is simply to learn where these are, and anticipate switching directions during the drift.

Hit Cones - Similar to above, but difficult to judge visually, really needs learning. Drift into it early at a decent speed. Drifting makes the car wider, so you've a better chance of hitting the cones. Cone challenges where you need to switch drift directions are the nastiest, because as you swing around (and the car narrows) you'll almost certainly miss a few.

I'm sure theres more to it still

Comment

I think you could be right as to your toal hearts score affecting which Special Request section you get. My first thought was that it was simply a case of getting 3 in a row to open up the third ones but today I get Special Request, Special Request and Special Resuest 2 on stages 3, 4 and 5. I think (and I may be mistaken) that I also got once today Special Request 2, 2 and 3 on the 1232 hearts run, but like I say not completely sure.

You've actually missed out a section challenge on your list as well. It doesn't crop up often (only had it when I've tried Heart Attak on harder routes). The challenge is similar to Overtake Cars/Don't Crash except there are hearts floating either side of each car you overtake and to collect hearts you have to get real close to each car you overtake to collect them without touching obviously. I guess this would be another one that could benefit from a faster car but from what I saw of it it is quite difficult to get a good run on it (drifting and collecting the hearts without crashing is a nightmare). The fact that this only shows up on the more difficult routes suggests there could be even more challenges on the harder stages.

I also think speed may play a larger role in the game than you think as well. Obviously the overtake cars challenge would benefit (although how much is debateable) but when I screwed up a couple of runs today I noticed something interesting. It was noticeable on the Drive Through Red/Blue and Don't Crash sections. I stuffed up some drifts and my speed dropped to around the 100 mark. I found that the rate at which I was scoring hearts dropped immensely and picked up as I sped up. Obviously on those sections it is important not to go so fast as to lose your line and therefore hearts, but at the same time, if you can through the sections faster, you may be rewarded.

By the way, your post above was excellent 9especially after only a days play). You've picked up a lot.

Comment

I haven't seen that other type of challenge, they must change on different stages I guess. Its funny, first time I played Heart Attack I played the overtaking section Crazy Taxi style trying to brush everyone, without realising I didn't need to.

I think for Special Request progression you can only get SR1, then SR2 and then SR3 on stages 3, 4 then 5 respectively. That would fit with what I saw when I played it anyway, I certainly never started Stage 3 on SR2. I do remember getting SR1, SR2, SR1 and SR1, SR1, SR2 on a couple of runs.

re: speed, I crashed just before a Drive Through Red section, and crawled through it, but still got a AAA rating. I think the rating directly relates to the hearts gained during a challenge, so getting AAA on a Drive Through at a really low speed made me think speed and race time isn't all that important.

Thinking about that more, the rate at which you pick up hearts would increase at a faster speed, but the overall quantity of hearts for a Drive Through X would remain the same. That would explain what we're seeing

Comment

So I checked out Outrun 2 today when I was in town, had a few goes and aside from the fact that I'm rubbish at racing games in arcades, I liked it a lot, while it lasted

The powerslides are crazy though, I hope they bring out console versions soon.

Comment

Drive through X works by giving you a grade depending on the amount of the possible area you drove through = drive damn near all of it for AAA, less for AA, a little less for A etc. Speed isn't an issue, the hearts are distance based, but when you go faster, it looks like you are getting more.

Comment

Working...
                                X