Virtua Racing -Flat Out-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who needs petrol....but then again how about a little meths

8) , its only my opinion however consider the facts...this is a home conversion we are talking about here. I love games but I am a very busy person, have a very demanding job, have other hobbies, a fiance who contols how much games related stuff i have out .... i had a wheel and sold it as i dont have the space for it or the need for it that much....

Now onwards, daytona on the dc looked the business but wasnt the pure experience i wanted ...the saturn verison looks like dog sick but plays so well i love it, and still play it but not the dc version but heyt that's just me. You shouldnt make a game for the home market that needs a wheel....sega have made a spot on arcade conversion :F355 on the dc is perfect with a pad and is spot effing on so why not a perfect verison of daytona, VR, scud race daytona 2 etc.....if they could make f355 perfect and i mean you cant tell the difference visually and plays just as well but with a pad...i mean come on, we shoudlnt be accepting second best on these games anymore, we dont want more cars, these games were perfect arcade racers and i dont have the time for faffing about with more long winded affairs...sorry this has just made me mad

Comment

I dont understand what's wrong with Dreamcast Daytona

You put the gears on the face buttons and you can take the corners exactly as you would in the arcade version. I still play it and havent noticed anything wrong with the handling at all, didnt realise there were any issues

Comment

It just didnt feel right, no better way of putting it. If it had the option of using the d pad it would have been awsome but i just found it frustrating using the analogue pad....and believe me i practiced for hours and spent months trying to alter the sensativity and analogue calibration.

Comment

He`s probably getting at the over sensetivity of the analog pad on the dc version which there was. But once you got used to it, it was great. Same with having the 4 gears on a,x,y,b on the pad, genius idea and aloud you to pull of the slides round hairpins with ease. Oh and then theres VGA support and a rock solid 60fps. I can`t see how anyone can say a bad word about daytona on the DC. I still love a daytona 2 conversion at some point though amusement vision. As for the people complaining about this conversion of V.R, yes it could of been better but your still forgeting it is pretty much spot on the arcade version and what it comes down to is us all remembering it better than it actually was. Great in it`s day but it has aged considerably and racers have come on leaps and bounds since then. Daytona holds up today because of it`s sublime handling, 40 player racing and some of the best track design ever . V.R doesn`t stand up today as the handling is suspect, when you tap a car it stops you dead which is annoying and the graphics simply haven`t held up. This conversion ain`t as bad as you think but you simply remember it better than it was.

Comment

I thought the handling on DC Daytona was overly sensitive at first as well. However when I turned the sensitivty of the control stick right down to the bottom it felt absolutely perfect. The feeling of taking the drifts felt unsurpassed and just 'right' You really felt like you were slingshotting the cars into the bend and had to fight to get the perfect line.

Now I never spent much time with arcade Daytona (I was always a Ridge Racer/Rave Racer man meself) and hence my only experience of the game were 4 player races with mates so never felt the need to learn the system (it was just a laugh), so maybe I don't have the necessary experience to compare the 2 versions. However, I do know that I enjoyed DC Daytona immensely and have always been confused when people slate the conversion.

But ironically enough, the fact taht you didn't get on with DC Daytona as well has renewed my faith in VR somewhat. Maybe I'll find some enjoyment where others have not (however, my arcade experience with VR is substantial so may have the same faults to pick as yourself. I however have the FF wheel to use )

Comment

Originally posted by Kron
              The day Sega properly ports one of its arcade racers the world will fall into darkness.
              F355?

Comment

Is it me or is it getting dark in here?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by C'
                    But ironically enough, the fact taht you didn't get on with DC Daytona as well has renewed my faith in VR somewhat. Maybe I'll find some enjoyment where others have not (however, my arcade experience with VR is substantial so may have the same faults to pick as yourself. I however have the FF wheel to use )
                    Sorry to dissapoint but like you my VR experience is much more than Daytona..(maybe i am being a bit harsh on the dc version but i couldnt seem to get into it) but ps2 VR is dreadful.

In my mind and to clarifiy what I have said:

It isnt the pop up...this is arcade perfect.

It isnt the fact it has dated...I still try to find working cabs, play the md version all the time and played the 32x version to death but sold it as i thought this would be the game to beat them all

It is the fact that when you steer the whole car rotates taht makes it ok in the outside views but impossible to play in the in car views

It is the constant trye noise

It is the cut short music

It is the extra reflections and arrghh it isnt right and this is one of my favourite arcade racers ever...

Comment

Originally posted by bangaio
                      Originally posted by C'
                      Sorry to dissapoint but like you my VR experience is much more than Daytona..(maybe i am being a bit harsh on the dc version but i couldnt seem to get into it) but ps2 VR is dreadful.

In my mind and to clarifiy what I have said:

It isnt the pop up...this is arcade perfect.

It isnt the fact it has dated...I still try to find working cabs, play the md version all the time and played the 32x version to death but sold it as i thought this would be the game to beat them all

It is the fact that when you steer the whole car rotates taht makes it ok in the outside views but impossible to play in the in car views

It is the constant trye noise

It is the cut short music

It is the extra reflections and arrghh it isnt right and this is one of my favourite arcade racers ever...
                      Sorry mate but you mus'nt be remembering the arcade cab to well (dont wish to sound daft but I owned a twin sit down for a while).

The music played for time bonus (if this is the cut down music you mean) is exactly the same length(I have them here from the sound test straight from the model 1 ).

The tyre consantly whines in the arcade, its a heavy on the powerslides game with tracks designed with a lot of corners.

The inside the car view was always pretty hard to play due to the view of the upcoming track from inside and not the rotation of the car, which is pretty much the same as the arcade tbh.

The pop up is as you say pretty much the same in both and the game does seem to be a little rougher(ps2's aliasing problems rather than resolution differences)

The cars look to be built from the same amount of polys although I'm not a fan of the ps2 versions reflections.

The problem is the games use of the ps2's pad and what you deem to be over rotation of the car (which dissapears with the FF wheel), this to me is more to do with the fact VR was developed with force feedback wheels in mind and this console port hasnt really addressed using a pad as good as it should.(regardless of this MAYBE being ported form the 32x version, which if it is improves it a lot, I'd guess its a bit of both as model 1 is pretty tricky to emulate)

To say the MD version is a better reprasentation of the arcade cab is(no offence) a little crazy.

This to me is as close as you could want, yes you will have to invest in a FF wheel but if you've been anticipating VR Racing since its arcade days then you should only want to play it that way anyway

I think its a damn good port, not arcade perfect but pretty bloody close(although why the need for the reflections I dont know).

As a port of a 12 year old powersliding arcade game its pretty good and the fast arcade gameplay has ported very very well(I dont play fom the in car view but then I never did) and played with its arcade heretige in mind its a lot of fun.

Just use the wheel (think timecrisis with a joypad)

I'm off to shave more time of Big Forest

Comment

But I dont have a wheel which means as a game to play the md version is the one for me as I sold my 32x (of course it doesnt look anything like the arcade, just feels more like it. Off to the loony bin with me then.
                        That said i will perevere with this but it seems to me that they could have made a bit more effort making it more playable in the home, with the 32x version being the best around.
                        Could have sworn the time bonus music is cut short (although I can see no reason why they would) as i had some mp3's of the music a while ago and they seemed longer.

Comment

OK extended views following about 30 laps of big forrest and plugging the md in....

still enjoyed the md version but despite the fact that the car turns a bit too much than i remember i am getting used to the handling...it is nowhere as bad as daytona on the dc and i am beginning to enjoy this.

not as bad as i first thought.

Comment

Really tho man, you shouldn't toy with people's emotions like that.

Comment

Yeah, sorry. I had high expectations and they weren't met however now it is like meeting an old friend you haven't seen for ages, they arent exactly the same but you soon get back on equal terms ..... or somehing like that.

Comment

hehe, yeah everyone seems to say the handling has changed somewhat to Daytona on Dreamcast handling - VR for me it seems fine just right, I never played much arcade tbh, mainly it cost like a ?1/dollar ago so i longed for the day for a perfect (well graphically) as close as you can get conversion. I used to play the in-car view on the Megadrive version but now playing it back is just seems unplayable cos the distance of the graphics just don't seem right, very blocky compare to now a day games! lol

It runs very fast, faster than arcade and very smooth, i'm glad that it runs at 60fps - i spose they didn't want to change too much from the original but i spose its a shame for ppl who are used to the arcade handling.

I think they should of included an option to select different versions of the game to choose from like: 100% arcade perfect game or the PS2 special version and also as bonus include all previous VR conversions: Megadrive, 32x and Saturn - would of been perfect eh!

Comment

Working...
                                X