No announcement yet.

Virtua Racing -Flat Out-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had too many games recently but I had a quick go on this last night and it's pretty faithful to VR. There are little things not quite right, probably just my memory of the arcade game but it handles the way I remember when I use the FF wheel.

Pretty decent overall, although as a racer (and this conversion hits home more than any, imho) it has been surpassed many times over and things have just moved on. Not a bad thing, as it does play very well and has a nice retro feel to it and everything but it is so obviously intended for the fans of all things Sega/VR

Look at most of you lot, moaning about DC Daytona too; there is naff all wrong with it! Get yourselves a steering wheel and you're laughing

Comment

I thought Daytona DC worked brilliantly with the pad when you got used to the sensitivity. In fact mastering the sensitivity took me to many wins against the computer AND online.

Comment

Do you like posting in month old threads?

Comment

See, generally I don't, but when I use the search box I do BECAUSE I'M STUPID

Will pay more attention from now on. Promise!

Comment

Virtua Racing w/Steering Wheel

Hi there,

Has anyone tried the Logitech GT Force Feedback Pro (the steering wheel w/900 degree rotation) with Virtua Racing? If so, does it work? If so, does it work well (good forces, sensitivity, etc.)? Or how about the Mad Catz MC2? Will the games work with any Dual Shock compatible steering wheel?

Also, does VR have any steering sensitivity options within the game?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

is this game also avaiable in the netherlands ?

if not, anny release date known ?

Comment

Its only available in Japan (and maybe asia) so you will either have to get one off a local importer or online, Play Asia do it for $ 28.90/?15.92 you will need either a JPN PS2 or a Chipped PS2 to play it though.

There have been rumours of a NTSC/U and PAL release but nothings been confirmed.

Comment

VIRTUA RACING PROBLEMS

I have a problem everytime I finish a race in ARCADE mode, the screen goes blank, and I have to restart the game. I am playing on a U.S. PS2 and use the slide card/disc, so I'm assuming that this why it's doing this. So, I just play the other two modes. Bummer, cuz I like the ARCADE mode.

Issues I have with the game, besides some of those mentioned earlier:
                  1) Cannot change the controller config. or sensitivity
                  2) Can only use the GT Force Steering Wheel/Pedals for a steering wheel (I have the new GT Force Pro and the steering, accel and brake work, but no buttons work--cannot change views, shift gears or change views!), although I can use the reg. controller for these functions, as long as the wheel/pedals are not being used at the same time.
                  3) Accel and Brake are digital on Dual Analog Controller (I believe), so if you have a dual analog steering wheel/pedals set, the accel and brake won't be analog!
                  4) The sound of the engine in Manual Mode: It's very hard to tell when to change gears by listening to the sound--I have to look at the RPM's on top-left of screen. This is a big problem for me--don't remember the arcade being like this! I even played my 32x, and it's fine.

Otherwise, I really like this translation of the game. I think it's the best yet.

Comment

I have the same problem as codeena: if I get "Goal" on any track in Arcade mode the whole game just crashes, presumably on the name entry screen that should have followed?

I'm playing on a UK PAL playstation using Swap Magic 3 and the slide card.

This means only the Tournament mode (4 competitions where winning gets you new but not very good cars), Freeplay (where not even your race position is shown) and two player are working as they should.

For me, this more or less renders the game useless as Arcade mode is the only way the game offers any replay value, by Arcade mode on Hard. Once the tournament is complete and you have the cars then there is little reason to go back as all but the last round is a walkover.

Also there are a number of bugs in the game, the most notable being when playing in Tourament mode, if you retire and then select a different car in Freeplay, when you return to the tournament, it changes the current car to that which you selected while in free play. This lasts for only the first race and then you revert to the car that should be selected for the current tournament. Very sloppy.

Also the collision detection seems off. It appears that you have to really whack the scenery to cause a crash, too often you "bump and grind" unrealistically against the scenery instead. This is all most notable on the new tracks though and may simply be a result lack of grass to slow you down before you hit the wall. Like most new tracks, they have not kept to the rules which made the originals great. They are just crap.

When you do crash, the animations are horrendous (worse even than than Daytona 2001 on DC). I remember them being alot more convincing than that!

The in car view is harder that in the arcade because the camera view angle is identical to that used in the Megadrive & 32X versions, lower and with a shorter "focal length" than the arcade version. Notice how only the hands are in view, whereas in the arcade you saw alot more arm as well. IMO tho In car is easier than on the megadrive as at least you have a better resolution at far far superior frame rate.

So far I've been rather negative and I feel this is unfair to the game.

Maybe its because the steering is analogue now but the game feels totally different than on earlier home versions (I never played the Saturn port however). Its just smoothness itself and reminds me a great deal of the Arcade cabinet. I've not played using the GT wheel yet but the analogue stick makes me think that the handling would be very close to the original, if not perfect.

Overall the graphics & sound make it appear very very close to arcade perfection!

Also there are the little touches which show this port to be a labour of love:

The birds flying off on Bay Bridge.
                    The cocounuts that fall from the swaying palm trees on the same course if you hit them
                    The birds on the hairpin at the acropolis
                    The Victory Celebrations at the end of the tournament (and possibly the arcade mode as well but as I've said, finishing a race in arcade mode crashes the whole thing).
                    The engine sound seems perfect to me (although strangly is used for all cars F1 or not).

None of these things add anything to the gameplay but alll make you feel as if you are playing a version of the original game.

All in all, if you are a Virua Racing fan you MUST own this game. Its the closest thing bar none to the Arcade. Don't listen to those who say this is an update from the 32X code. Apart from the identical in car view, there is nothing similar at all. This may as well BE the arcade version.

For everyone else, there is a decent little arcade racer in here with a unique and smooth look. The handling, although is very simplistic by todays standards is still playable and feels right in the confines of the flat shaded world.

Everyone be warned about the possible crash on Arcade mode.

cya

Comment

The Crash in arcade mode must be down to using the swap trick, as it works perfect on mine.

Comment

It could be caused by the swap trick as both codeena and I are using it and both have problems. It's very curious as you can hear the Name Entry music playing but just get a blank screen. The name Entry screen on other parts of the game work fine.

So, what mod chip are you using, Pij?

Comment

one of the later Messiah Chip's on a V9, theres better out now but afaik theres not a current mod chip that wont play all PS2 games flawlessly. Only difference between them is wether they boot all region DVD's and PSone games.

Both of which im not bothered about 2bh, as i have a seperate DVD player and a chipped JPN Psone Combo.

Comment

Hey VictoryRoad, thanks for responding to my post. It was very helpful to me to hear that you are also experiencing the swap magicdisc issue., and that PIJ is not having any crashing problems. Unfortunately, Virtua Racing was the main reason I decided to purchase a method to play imports on my U.S. PS2. Perhaps I will invest even more money on a true modchip solution. I did end up buying a Logitech GT Force from Ebay for a decent price, and it is fully supported and works well with the game. I can only hope that they decide to fix issues, and release it here in the States. BTW, did anyone notice that the driver's arms in the cockpit view do not turn the steering wheel fully, like in the arcade, or even home versions?

Comment

I used the swap magic/fliptop method on this game and worked no problem. Mines a V4 PS2 if thats any different as i heard the later PS2`s don`t work to great with swap magic.

Comment

codeena, Virtua Racing was the main reason I decided to have a go at playing imports too, it only takes one game, and this one was it for me as well

Hodge, I'm not sure what version of ps2 I have but the model number is SCPH-300003. Is that V3?

Also I have SwapMagic V3. Maybe there is a later version that cures this problem?

Comment

Working...
                                X