PSP: one year on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Haribokart
    Yes it has, as soon as it hits the shops it sells almost instantly- even the Giga pack. Stock has been a problem consistently since launch due to the high demand!
    tbh, since the end of November, I ain't really known anywhere that has sold out of PSPs. If I wanted to get one tomorrow I could with very little difficulty, tbh it'd be harder finding a place stocking Gamecubes :P

Comment

Yeah but thats not really saying much now is it? PSP's are all sold out where I live anyway. But then there aren't even any stores that stock gamecubes near me...

Comment

Ive had both for a while now and they are both gathering dust. The DS is gimmicky and has a lot of nintendo IP we have seen before. Similarly the PSP has PS2 ports and very few games that are worth buying.

The PSP edges it as a favorite purely for working away. I can play emulators on it and put *cough* entertainment on it for lonely nights in a hotel. I also use it for mp3 which is incredibly handy when driving a hire car for 5 hours. However this is the only portable device I have for mp3.

The DS has been getting a little bit of action as the missus is playing nintendogs, and i have been using it for GBA games because I cant be arsed finding my SP since we moved house. It might see some more action if santa gets me Advance Wars.

Comment

I got the PSP last month and only have three titles: Ridge Racer, Bleach 2 and Legend of Heroes. The latter two were a mistake to get but Ridge Racer has been really addictive. I even put it up for a Top 5 game of the year... I'm not even into racing games. So it really must be something.

So I should get Lumines and GTA: LCS? My PSP library is really lacking... Getting Irregular Hunter X though, which looks to be a good one for MM fans.

Comment

Someone better tell the real world that the PSP is doing so badly. The machine is still flying off the shelves even with a (rediculous imo) 300quid pricetag.

I play my PSP +every+ day on the way to and from work. I played it constantly on 3 long haul flights last week to the US, nearly everyday I find someone on the tube to have a multiplayer session on and at lunchtimes we have large multi player fights on GTA. As for Playstation 2 ports - what are you on about, a large majority of titles aren't ports.

1: Mercury
            2: Ridge Racers
            3: Grand Theft Auto
            4: SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo
            5: Lumines
            6: Virtua Tennis
            7: Burnout Legends
            8: Wipeout Pure
            9: Everybodys Golf
            10: Tiger Woods 2006
            11: Winning Eleven

Just some titles that I can think of but there are more great titles. Name any machine thats had such a good line up in its first year...

The PSP is a portable machine meant for playing on the move. If you don't travel alot it won't be of much use to you as you've got all your home consoles which are always going to be better for playing on.

Regards,
            Neil.

Comment

Yes, Neil, but what you haven't accounted for it that some people choose to see Ridge Racers, Burnout, Wipeout, GTA and more as ports. They're not. And I have no concept of why that perception exists. But it does.

Comment

Seems that Sony IP as seen as a port whilst Nintendo IP isn't.

Comment

this is moronic. end of story.

Comment

Originally posted by Il Postino
                    ... what do you think is the best handheld game of all time?
                    Cardfighters Clash. Believe.

I've had my PSP for a few months now, enjoyed Star Soldier, rinsed Minna No Golf, was diverted momentarily by Burnout and am slogging my way through RR. So far so good, but I can't see anything on the horizon to get excited about. Conversely, I bought myself a DS over xmas, my left hand is killing me thanks to MK DS (a better game than RR IMO) and there are BUCKETS of DS games making me drool. It simply has a better library from what I can see.

Jay

Comment

well the PSP has delivered one of my dreams

i've now been to akihabara - albeit on the train on the yamanote line but i've been there

i now know its just after Tokyo - i honestly no idea until i played the game

buy any train sim on the PSP - all great

waits for the resident psp fanboy McRae to agree

you really are making yourself look bad

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                        Cardfighters Clash. Believe.

Jay
                        Agreed, one of my all time favourite games. Cannot wait for the new DS version.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilMcRae
                          The PSP is a portable machine meant for playing on the move. If you don't travel alot it won't be of much use to you as you've got all your home consoles which are always going to be better for playing on.
                          One year already? I am still happy with my PSP, games have been slow, but just enough titles to keep me happy. Some arent really suited, others are very addictive and still feel great. Certainly better than my PocketPC phone (win2003 mobile) which also does music/movies/games, and other options out there dont quite suit me, and i dont want to carry 3 "better" dedicated devices to do all the PSP does.

Like NeilMcRae i think you need to be a traveller/commuter to really get something. Although sometimes i play on the sofa when the Mrs is watching TV, because we are apparently still spending time together, despite me being in another (virtual) world But as a multimedia device it does really well. On long-haul plane trips where you want a bit of gaming, a bit of music and a bit of movie/TV its fantastic - far better than the screens and content the airlines give you themselves. I also use it at work; wireless connection for a bit of lunchtime (or sneaky) SOCOMing, or just music while working, or chilling to Lumines and so on.

It works for my lifestyle, and it seems some others too. However i do hope for some better games, as thats where i spend most of my PSP time. But a year on, and i honestly dont think i could live without it.

Comment

I have to be honest and say that I am not overly impressed so far with my PSP.

I hadnt intended to get one at a Launch and was going to wait it out for a drop in price which I expected to be some time this year.

However about a month before launch I wandered into my local Game and they had a couple of demo units they were letting customers play to entice them into pre-ordering.
                            After 5 minutes on RR I was amazed and changed my mind on the spot.

3 months on now I have to say that my PSP has been tucked away in a drawer and hasnt been played at all in the past month.

What still amazes me is the ridiculous price that brand new PSP games command in the shops.

In stark contrast I love my DS to bits depsite loathing it for the first couple of weeks when I got it and it gets played everyday at the moment.

I have to be honest and say that I dont think Sony is going to win any handheld wars and should stick with what they do best!!

Comment

Originally posted by krispyk
                              I dont think Sony is going to win any handheld wars and should stick with what they do best!!

Comment

Originally posted by krispyk
                                I have to be honest and say that I dont think Sony is going to win any handheld wars and should stick with what they do best!!
                                What? become a marketing company for crap products??!!

Comment

Working...
                                X