Games that aren't for "pussies".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games that aren't for "pussies".

So here's the deal: I'm really getting tired of games being easy. I would like people here to list some difficult games that pose a challenge for a player. Even an old timer like me. By difficult, I don't mean "destroy your controller" annoying or strenuous. Something that might even improve your skills at other games at just playing one. Shooters are a good example which leads me to...

Ikaruga which, probably known by many here, is a shooter from Treasure, makers of "Radiant Silvergun" and "Gunstar Super Heroes". I just got it today and find it extremely difficult - or then I'm just bad at video games. Actually, I'm not that great at video games that demand extreme dexterity like shooters. I've finally grown a larger interest in them because of the difficulty levels and practice does make perfect! I've almost gotten through the first level of Ikaruga with one credit.

Well, anyway... Tell me something I don't know. Thanks! (Or maybe I should just raise the difficulty setting in most games? )
    Last edited by danholo; 09-12-2005, 09:45.

Devil May Cry 3 is the obvious one.

Comment

I suck at re0 and metroid prime so I'll say those

mars matrix is another though.

pulstar on neogeo too

Comment

I love shmups, but will readily admit to being very average at them. However, I persevered with Ikaruga, a shmup that is widely regarded to be more difficult than most, and managed to get the last level boss on one credit. It was a great feeling, even though them snakey things kicked my ass. It's basically a memory test. If you are the right colour in the right place at the right time, there is not much to fear.

Almost all shmups are great for developing your "twitch" instinct, especially Cave and Raizing games.

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock
          Devil May Cry 3 is the obvious one.
          That sounds good. I might pick that up! What about the eariler installments?

Metroid Prime isn't difficult. It posed no problems for me but it wasn't an easy game which was good as well... However, there is a hard mode.

Comment

The first DMC is also excellent, although number 3 makes it a little obsolete. Number two is utterly ****e.

Comment

The latter stages of Gradius 5 on a high scoring smash a thon. Not for the faint of heart...

Comment

ThunderForce IV will own you hard in the face the first few times you play it. I couldn't even get past the first level for years, no matter which one I chose. I can 1CC it now though
                Cobra Command on MCD I found very hard, but that might just be because it's ****.
                How about the story mode on F-Zero GX? It's hard but it always feels doable, like you're only a second or so away from beating it and you can do it if you perfect your racing line a bit more.
                Metroid Prime's hard mode isn't actually much different from normal mode.
                Last edited by vertigo; 09-12-2005, 09:50.

Comment

DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou has got to be one of the hardest Cave shmups.
                  This game regularly has me swearing and breaking things. On hard, this game is practically unbeatable. The Death Label boss-only game is frigging ridiculously hard too. I normally can't get past the second boss on that bastard.

Mushihimesama isn't in the same league of difficulty on the first two settings, but Ultra mode surely has to be one of the most difficult challenges in any game ever...
                  Last edited by endo; 09-12-2005, 10:04.

Comment

Either I'm monumentally crap at Viewtiful Joe (not exactly an unlikely possibility, I'll admit) or that's bloody hard as well.

Comment

Virtua Fighter 4 Evo - A real mans game!

Though id also reccomend playing through all Biohazard games sequencially, like im doing at the mo! Currently on Biohazard 3. The epic journey through the series is only for the real men as it can be quite a task, especially when you are aiming for grade A or S even on each game......................ooohhhhhh............... ..... i dare yah!

Comment

The classic Ghouls and Ghosts is clearly a very challenging experience

Comment

I vote Connect 4. Its a harsh mistress.

Comment

Originally posted by baad bwoy
                            The classic Ghouls and Ghosts is clearly a very challenging experience
                            Surely bringing retro games into it is defeating the purpose. We all know games were harder back then.

Comment

Viewtiful Joe and Ninja Gaiden are 2 that spring to mind

Comment

Working...
                              X