Nintendo Wii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video: IGN Wii Interface Video

The much talked about IGN video of staff member Matt guiding us through the Wii interface

Comment

Most of the time when IGN makes a video of themselves doing something...it sucks.

This continues that fine tradition.
      Last edited by Anime_Ninja_WolfDog; 30-10-2006, 18:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Anime_Ninja_WolfDog
        Most of the time when IGN makes a video of themselves doing something...it sucks.

This continues that fine tradition.
        Yes, but least you get to see 480p settings!

Comment

( i used the hi res stream , just let it buffer for 10 mins then watch it )

Comment

Nice to see WPA and WPA2 support in there - for some reason I had the fear that it would be WEP only

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101
              Nice to see WPA and WPA2 support in there - for some reason I had the fear that it would be WEP only
              Agreed, i wonder if they'll release a firmware update to the DS to allow it to support WPA?

That IGN video is mildly intresting but it does make you realise how crap IGN's video content is compared to Gamespot.

Comment

Wow, a lot of questions I had about the Wii have now been answered. Text entry, for one. I like the way they've provided both a QWERTY keyboard and a mobile phone layout.

Seeing the drive suck in Gamecube disks was cool, I wonder how accurate you have to be with your aiming though...

The pointer interface looks really nice and responsive, just like using a mouse. Should be awesome for FPS.

The addtion of up-to-date wifi encryption methods was a relief, as WEP is a joke. Makes me wonder if the Wii will act as a wifi base station for the DS, like their USB dongle.

Didn't see any flash intro when the machine was powered up. Just a crappy warning. I would have liked it to do something.

Didn't see any settings to determine region, so it looks like we might not be able to pull 360-style cross-locale content stealing.

Everytime I see 480p, I get more hopeful that the PAL consoles won't get crippled and stuck with inferior video output.

Comment

Originally posted by revlob
                  Didn't see any flash intro when the machine was powered up. Just a crappy warning.
                  Irritatingly, this means you'll have to go through that warning twice on some Gamecube games, in the same way you do on GBA games on the DS.

Comment

Originally posted by revlob
                    Everytime I see 480p, I get more hopeful that the PAL consoles won't get crippled and stuck with inferior video output.
                    Everytime I see it, I get less hopeful. Nintendo need to come clean on the PAL situation and just make an announcement (or better still, show us the PAL Wii UI with a 576p(!) option).

I won't be at all surprised if the PAL consoles are 576i only. Again.

Comment

Originally posted by bignige
                      Yes, but least you get to see 480p settings!
                      Now i more confused than before.
                      Does this means that 480i (wii) games can theoretically
                      be upscaled to 480p ?

Comment

New Wii Secret to be revealed Near Launch

Gamepro can confirm that there will be a secret Wii announcement to be made close to launch time. The magnitude of this myster is uknown, so it could be either really small or huge, we're going for somewhere in between to be on the safe side .

quote:

Wow, you're up on your stuff. I can confirm that there was a GameStop retreat and Reggie did in fact say there will be another big Wii revelation around launch time.

As to what I think this new announcement might be? I have no idea. However, I'd think it would most likely be specs related (since Nintendo is still hush-hush about what the Wii actually incorporates). My second theory is that the revelation will be about Wii's online capabilities.

News Source: Gamepro

Comment

Gamepro can confirm that there will be a secret Wii announcement to be made close to launch time. The magnitude of this myster is uknown, so it could be either really small or huge, we're going for somewhere in between to be on the safe side .

quote:

Wow, you're up on your stuff. I can confirm that there was a GameStop retreat and Reggie did in fact say there will be another big Wii revelation around launch time.

As to what I think this new announcement might be? I have no idea. However, I'd think it would most likely be specs related (since Nintendo is still hush-hush about what the Wii actually incorporates). My second theory is that the revelation will be about Wii's online capabilities.

1080P TRU HD VIA RF!

Comment

Super Mario Galaxy available on launch day or before Christmas

Comment

Originally posted by Cornflakes
                              Now i more confused than before.
                              Does this means that 480i (wii) games can theoretically
                              be upscaled to 480p ?
                              The way I understood it, the video settings for the Wii console are there just to apply a default when there is a choice. This means you won't have to "hold A and Start" when starting a game up to enable widescreen/progressive scan.

I'm hoping the vast majority of games support progressive scan anyway.

Comment

quote:

New issue of ONM mag states that Wii will be 720p capable. I wonder why they would say that as all along they've stated SD only.

Cock-up or factual slip?

edit: spaz ref to 720i deleted
                                Last edited by djjimbob; 31-10-2006, 13:55.

Comment

Working...
                                X