• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smeghead
    they worth gettin then?
    Most definitely!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Laslett
      The PS2 version supports VGA too, using the Blaze VGA adaptor. This gives a real boost to the visuals.

Don't forget the benefits running at 60fps gives the PS2 version. There is also the matter of better sound output from the PS2 through the digital out.
      Eh? PS2 doesn't give a VGA signal, so it is impossible for a pure VGA signal, just a converted one which is never as good as a pure VGA picture given from the Dreamcast.
      I wondered about this too, but I saw the Blaze PS2 vga box last week. It claimed to run in true (not blurry upscan converted) 640x480 for many games that do not officially support progressive scan 480p.

It comes with a boot disk too. My guess would be that the cable is a variant of the official Japanese PS2 progressive scan cables, and that the boot disk forces many games to run in 480p. Can anyone confirm this? If so, I'll have to get hold of one. They were ?30 in game.

The 60fps really makes a visual difference however though to be honest neither version sounds much different. The Dreamcast has a better quality Midi but the PS2 balances this with the optical link pretty much leaving them even.
      Both DC and PS2 Rez can run in 60Hz mode. The anti aliasing still looks better on the DC.

Comment

Originally posted by phillai
        they worth gettin then?
        Most definitely!!!
        I just went to google.com to search for a transvibrator before thinking about buying one from Tokuda...

It appears that GameGirl Advance really love the game.

Imagine the great 2 player fun!

Comment

Rez is good, but not as deep as some make out in a gameplay sense.

i can understand your thinking, in fact in trying to think of why the gameplay is so deep I have drawn a blank, after all you just move a cursor around a screen and memorise attack formations.

Nevertheless I played this game everyday for months which puts it up there with Street Fighter 2, Goldeneye and Soul Calibur in terms of replay value and the compelling need to complete it fully.

The music and design are wonderful and even the 'plot' is thought provoking and moving.

I think it's depth can be put down to the technical skill involved in mastering it and to the unique ambience it creates whilst achieving this.

I played Panzer Dragoon Orta with its stomach churning marmalade skies and it just made me pine for Rez's simplicity of complexity.

Comment

Okay, admission time from me .....

I was of the opinion that Rez was a good game, but not a great game. I used to think that beneath all the pretty graphics and sound, there was a game of little depth. I used to think there were far better on rails shooters like Starfox 64 and Omega Boost.

HOW WRONG I WAS! REZ IS AMAZING!

Okay, it's taken me a little while to realise it, but I sold my DC version and decided to plump for the PS2 version with the Trancevibrator. Given that I'd just spent a good deal of cash on the game, I decided to start again, turned up the sound to max, put Trance thingy down pants and played. And played, and played, and played.

It's simply an awesome game. It still doesn't have the depth of other shooters, but you know what, I don't care. Just the wonderful feeling I get when playing the game from the sights and the sounds. It may be an argument for style over substance, but what style. If you connect with Rez, very few games pull you in as much. I' swear, I'm in that computer shooting stuff. The visuals are wonderfully imaginative, the music is perfect.

The essential thing with Rez is a decent, loud sound system. The Trance Vibrator helps and I do prefer the 60fps of the PS2 version to the 30 fps of the DC version, even through VGA.

Awesome game. Consider hat well and truly eaten .

Comment

Originally posted by Brats
              put Trance thingy down pants and played.
              I hope you're kidding, unless thats the American usage there.

I remember you saying it looked pretty but you didn't think there was much depth to it at Namco Station last year. Glad you've given it another chance

I think it does have a little more depth than most people give credit for, maximising the 8x multipliers can lead to some tricky sequences, and getting 100% shot down requires a lot of skill.

But of course its all about the incredible experience once you go with it, and few games can match that

Helluva lot of replay too, with extra levels different level layouts, different forms, different color schemes, score attack, boss rush, etc. Rez isn't really a short game at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
                I think it does have a little more depth than most people give credit for, maximising the 8x multipliers can lead to some tricky sequences, and getting 100% shot down requires a lot of skill.
                Exactly. After you'd finished all the standard modes, attained 100% on all criteria (shot down, powerups), there was still the old shmup challenge of bettering your scores via the excellent score attack and direct assault modes. The enemy attack formations are a lot less forgiving in this mode, and unlike the standard play mode, there is a genuine advantage to loading your lock-ons up to 8 as frequently as possible in order to reap the points. The bosses too need to be tackled in a particular way to maximise points. As each boss is on a time-limit before it self-destructs, it requires some good judgement to wait until the last minute before making the final kill, meanwhile taking out drones for added points. Because of the increased risk of holding out for that last lock-on while missiles are bearing down on you, the game's excitement is heightened considerably. If you push yourself on Rez, it's actually got a surprising amount of hidden depth and strategy, as well as some nice unlockables (the moronian form is brill). Granted, it's definitely not as intricate as something like PDO, but the additional challenge is a nice and often overlooked aspect.

All in all though, Rez is a landmark title that will be remembered for a long long time to come. The marriage of audio and video is perfect.

Comment

Well... Here's hoping for a sequel.

Originally posted by Tetsuya Mizuguchi
                  This is only the beginning. Rez will continue to evolve.

Who knows. Maybe Unity will fill a gap for some of us

Comment

It would be interesting to know how well it actually did in terms of sales figures. A decision in favor of a sequel would certainly be influenced by that.

Besides: this time I couldn't help but believe the developers saying that they loved being involved in the creation of REZ and the experience they assimilated while working on it.

Comment

Rez sold very poorly. I can't remember an exact figure. But it think it was 22,000 on the PS2.

A site says: "PS2: 22,628"

But, that may mean that the PS2 market is bloated and that maybe by going to a console like the GC would be best where the conser market may be more accomodating!

Comment

Thanks for the thread guys.

Tonight the missus was out. I read the first page of this thread, plugged in rez, cranked the volume up and had one of the best gaming nights i've had in a long time 8)

I also used the dreamcast arcade stick and unlike charlesr i found it great to use! Also i didn't have a clue you could use a mouse for it! Will try that out later.

Comment

it's definitely not as intricate as something like PDO,
                          I thought the additional bells and whistles added to PDO detracted from the experience, cerrtainly didn't add much strategy and didn't flow naturally.

PDO has the dubious honor of being the only game ever to make me feel physically sick. It was those swirling marmalade skies I think.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG
                            I read the first page of this thread, plugged in rez, cranked the volume up and had one of the best gaming nights i've had in a long time
                            I too was inspired by this thread and booted up Rez last night "just for a quickie". My run through Direct Assault finished at 2am, and for the first time managed a 1m+ score with over 95% shot down, beating the level 5 boss in my final form.

Yes, I saw butterflies gentlemen. And, oh, it was lovely.

Best. Gaming buzz. Ever.

"Thank you, my saviour..."

Comment

UGA wasn't too content with how well REZ did in the marketplace, at least in Japan and the US. I found 2 interviews where Tetsuya Mizuguchi (UGA overlord) talks about different aspects of the game, sales and (briefly) the idea of a sequel:

Gamespot Interview with Tetsuya Mizuguchi 03/26/02

Kikizo Games Interview: Sega of Japan R&D/Tetsuya Mizuguchi 02/17/03

Comment

Has anyone achieved 100% shotdown on level 5?
                                I'm quite sure i hit everything in site and dont miss a single support item, but stil, i see a max 98.5% shotdown and 93.5% support item.
                                Is there something hidden i should pay attention to?

Comment

Working...
                                X