Importers: Firmware update and trouble shooting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importers: Firmware update and trouble shooting thread

In this thread report if it is possible to download wii updates on an american or Japanese system in Europe. This is the only thing that worries me since there are firmware updates for the system already.

at the end of the week we will know if this is possible. If it isn't I hope someone will be able to come up with a work around the problem.

I can't imagine the firmware updates will only be obtainable online, given their target demographic.

Comment

surely the updates will be obtained when connecting to the wii channels and as stated elsewhere us machines will connect to us servers. hopefully!!

Comment

Any updates will surely be obtainable no matter what machine you've got. Surely. A US machine connects to US servers and has its wicked way with them.

Nintendo confirmed something like that, it was about the VC games so i dont see why a patch for the system would be any different.

Comment

Nintendo confirmed something like that, it was about the VC games so i dont see why a patch for the system would be any different.
          I think we can be pretty confident about being able to get online with an imported unit, but still, it?s not worth assuming it to be certain until the first person to try it has confirmed it.

Comment

That's odd. Is the forum deleting posts? I just replied to one and the message I replied to has vanished, making me look rather mad, and I'm not mad, honestly there really IS something out there on the wing of the plane!
            Last edited by Angry the Clown; 20-11-2006, 12:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry the Clown
              That's odd. Is the forum deleting posts?
              It were mods, deleting rampant talk of illegal shenanigans, I believe.

Comment

Ah that makes sense, though I couldn't quite figure out whether his question was one of intense interest, or concern on Nintendo's part now that they are publishing on DVDs. It?s a concern I have for them with the Wii I must admit. It prompted me to ask whether the Wii can even read writable DVD media.

Comment

eh my post has gone!!

just an honest question about piracy and it gets deleated - whats wrong with u mods?

Comment

I'm interested to know what the situation is with regard to video output on a US Wii. Will it be capable of displaying RGB? Will it need a custom cable or an internal mod? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

The firmware updates come in disk form as well. On nintendo americas site it mentions that if you need to update your wii but dont have internet access then there are other options that you can do. They tell you to ring customer support.

Im guessing they will send you a update disk if this is the case.

After reading the manual thats in a thread on here if you can get your ds online you shouldnt have any problems with a wii. It looks very easy according to the manual. Plus you can use the usb wifi dongle to get online which is ace.

Only time i could see that you have to start putting your address in is when you buy wii points with a credit card.

No idea how setting the friend code on your console will work yet as nobody has a online game to try it with.

Comment

On the subject, are you guys gonna stick to buying points in card form online? Using a UK card might be too obvious if you bought them on the console.

Are VG+, Tronix and the like planning a service where they'll just scratch off the card and email us the number? Would be much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku
                          No idea how setting the friend code on your console will work yet as nobody has a online game to try it with.
                          You can still set up friend codes to send messages, photo's, send each other's Mii's to visit etc.

By all accounts it's a bit fiddly but a lot easier than the DS system as you have one central address book on the system rather than having to input the codes for each individual game.

The downside is that when you add friends, both people have to input each others codes in order for it work. That means you have to co-ordinate swapping codes in some way (ie: a forum, just like this one) otherwise it won't work.

It's a roundabout and convoluted way of accepting a friend request on Live.

Comment

It's a shame that you can't enter UK credit cards, they do appear to be charging state tax so that may have something to do with it. Hopefully some keen eBay seller will buy Wii point cards en masse and sell codes to us!

I expect all the online stuff will work, does anyone know if firmware updates have been ok to download in the UK on a US machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
                              On the subject, are you guys gonna stick to buying points in card form online? Using a UK card might be too obvious if you bought them on the console.

Are VG+, Tronix and the like planning a service where they'll just scratch off the card and email us the number? Would be much easier.
                              I'll do probably what i did when i used to play phantasy star online with my japanese gamecube. I got my friend in japan to buy web money so i could go online. He used to email me the codes, nice & simple. I'll just do the same with the wii point cards.

Comment

Working...
                              X