Japan is no longer the daddy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japan is no longer the daddy...

...or so says Toshihiro Nagoshi in this month's Edge. But, do you agree with him?

I must admit that I have noticed a slight decline in innovative titles from the Eastern shores for a long while now. Again, as Nagoshi pointed out in his article, many of the Eastern big-hitters are sequels - the conservatism of some Japanese devcos is qutie startling in that respect.

I disagree with Nagoshi in that I don't believe the west is leading the way at the moment, but it certainly is catching up with Japan again. Games like the GTA series, Halo, Deus EX and Half Life II (all psuhing FPSs in their own way) and even concepts like the up and coming Fable show that there is still some innovation in the western hemisphere.

There is a tendency for some gamers to automatically look down on anything western (I've been guilty of that in the past, too) - especially with some of the nasty character designs afforded to some games - but for an open-minded gamer, there is still plenty pf good stuff from round these parts to get into.

So, what do you think? Is Japan losing it? Is the west gaining ground? Could such a reversal ever occur? And will the west ever be anything like it was in the 8-bit days again?

Who knows? Perhaps now it the time for South America, Eastern Europe, India or Korea to start doing new things.

Comment

I cant believe he said that!

The brer is on crack, but as long as he keeps churning out quality and Capcom stays in the same mood I'm happy!

Comment

I just thought his article was a way of hyping up his new idea. It was just a way of saying that there is no longer originality in the Japanese games industry and he was going to change that.

I think that he has a point to a degree but I still believe that the overall quality of Japanese games is higher than the rest of the world. With the exception of Halo, GTA and by the sound of it, Star Wars KOTOR there isnt an abundance of original content from the west.

Comment

I think Japan is still leading the way in terms of "quality of workmanship". Japanese games are still more polished in general, and they are usually better presented and mostly more efficiently programmed.

In terms of game design though, the West are definitely catching up. Games like Burnout2 really prove that we have what it takes to make brilliant, fun titles. Splinter Cell (for me) was far superior to MGS2.

I think there is going to be some sort of convergence in the near future, with the Japanese borrowing Western game design methods, and America/Europe devoting a greater deal of effort towards presentation, character design and tools programming.

Comment

Isnt he the guy who writes for Famitsu Xbox?

Im thinking a Microsoft sponsored wad of cash induced those comments to sell the American software they are trying to shift in Japan

Comment

Originally posted by Vaipon

Splinter Cell (for me) was far superior to MGS2.
              hmmmm answers on a postcard please, while i dident enjoyed splinter cell except that weired jump wall thing, i dont think that both games fit in the same catorgory. so no comparison really, any way back to the topic

to say there are no original titles coming frm japan is a bit of a big statment. what about pn 03, viewt joe, and animal crossing and all the other stuff thats come out recentley, while there does seem to be an alarming amount of games based on succesfull franchises and ip, (whats new there) i agee with the statment above, hes just biging himself up, and tends to talk like he is the best thing to ever happen to games, shame he isnt a bit more modist.

Comment

Nope, I don't agree. Maybe it's because I find first person shooters and sports game dull as ****.

The GTA games are some of the best this generation though, but they're the exception rather than the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaipon
                  I think Japan is still leading the way in terms of "quality of workmanship". Japanese games are still more polished in general, and they are usually better presented and mostly more efficiently programmed.
                  This I agree with 100% The west has always been heavy-handed in its approach compared to the Japanese. A lot of western games tend to start of with an 'engine' before there's even a game and then the game is crammed full of superflous stuff just for the sake of having it there, making the game very feel very overcooked.

Western coders also have a tendency to willy wave about fancy effects and tricks. If I hear one more programmer gush about his 'ragdoll physics' I will throw a chainsaw into a busy shopping arcade.

In terms of game design though, the West are definitely catching up. Games like Burnout2 really prove that we have what it takes to make brilliant, fun titles. Splinter Cell (for me) was far superior to MGS2.
                  Again agreed. Burnout 2 is great and although I still haven't played MGS2 yest (yes, I'm the one), I have played Splinter Cell and it is very, very good.

Comment

I agree with him.But overall I still prefer Japanese games.

Comment

It's very easy to become trapped within a certain mindset, and this is what's holding back the Western developers. Currently, realism is prided over all other things, and therefore development focus shifts to the physics engine in many cases.

It's a far better idea to have the concept of the game clear in your mind, with the question in your head being 'how do I make it fun?' when it comes to building the engine.

I think there are a higher proportion, still, of japanese developers than Western ones who take this approach.

Comment

I've never held Japanese games in high regard anyway, so this is a hollow statement for me.

So many games are lauded as being the next coming, yet, as discussed, so many of these games are sequels. I want to play great games, quirky, 'original' games can go fish if they don't fulfil the great game slot.

I never fall into the developer ass kiss line when it comes to games, I couldn't give a rat's who developed the game. Go look at the Japanese chart to see what world changing titles they produce/sell, how many Benami/dating/train/bus games are there?

I look at the market as a whole, if a game is 'great' it's unlikely to get a Jap only release, (WE series excepted, eventhough PES2 can be argued to be better ). I still don't 'get' the language thing, so many Jap games have half the menus/text/titles in English, why? Shouldn't the whole game be one or the other, when the translations are made, Jesus, do they use a 3 year old? How many bods learn Japanese at uni here/there, yet the translations make great comedy routines on their own.

Comment

What I love most about Japanese design is the importance of the character. It seems the character and his/her abilities are created and then the gameworld is like a playground for them to exploit these abilities, then it's up to the player to learn how to exploit the abilities and tools given to them. This seems to be the design concept for most Japanese games from Sonic to Psyvariar to Daytona they all have this hyper realistic fun attitude to them which I just dont ever see in western design.

The language thing 2point mentions is very simple. In Japan English language and text is seen as both futuristic and cool, in movie like games English is added to give it a Hollywood feel and you'll find that in space shoot em ups and fast arcade games English text and language is used to the same effect. Western culture is perfectly normal to Japanese gamers it seems and they embrace it, I wish the reverse could be true for more people here

You also mention that if a game is good 2point it will be released worldwide:

No.

There are countless games that dont get a release due to the stupid narrow mindedness that exists with gamers in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
                            What I love most about Japanese design is the importance of the character. It seems the character and his/her abilities are created and then the gameworld is like a playground for them to exploit these abilities, then it's up to the player to learn how to exploit the abilities and tools given to them. This seems to be the design concept for most Japanese games from Sonic to Psyvariar to Daytona they all have this hyper realistic fun attitude to them which I just dont ever see in western design.
                            This is very true. I also like the way Japanese game characters have exactly that: character - and this is expressed not necessarily through lots of dialogue but through subtle nuances, facial expressions and mannerisms.

With japanese character design, you can almost get a sense of the character's personality just by looknig at them - and it's something that's apparent from anime style characters to those more 'realistic' in appearance.

Comment

Same with anime

In anime they convey emotions and situations that are rarely handled in western film let alone animation. Recently watched Azumanga Daioh, it sums up everything I love about Japanese design (and it's so damn FUNNY!)

Comment

Working...
                              X