Gran Turismo 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
    Mulling it over, head tracking just seems to be an awful idea for racers. Like has been said, turning your head away from the screen is useless and the trouble with making the game highly sensitive to minor movement is that even turning my head slightly away isn't natural and when I'm playing I don't sit perfectly still all the time so if I shuffle in my seat I don't want my view to suddenly swing left or right. Gonna need some real evidence it works.
    It could be even worse for me I'm one of the weirdo's who thinks leaning in person while going round a corner helps

I'd crash at every bend if I did that with head tracking.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by dvdmike View Post
      The GT4 assets must have been really high res to begin with
      The US version ran at 1080i, so I'd assume they would have needed to be pretty high quality to pass that off.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
        The US version ran at 1080i, so I'd assume they would have needed to be pretty high quality to pass that off.
        Yeah looks great too and runs really well.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
          Yeah looks great too and runs really well.
          If by 'great' you mean it looked exactly the same as it does at 480p I'd agree with you! Only difference I could see was that my TV reported a 1080i signal. Everything else looked the same to me.

Comment

Originally posted by FullSpecWarrior View Post
            If by 'great' you mean it looked exactly the same as it does at 480p I'd agree with you! Only difference I could see was that my TV reported a 1080i signal. Everything else looked the same to me.
            Must admit I haven't used the 480p option myself. Have to check it out.

Comment

Not really too fond of the Premium and Standard car choice. I'd settle with about 400 reasonable detailed cars.

The 200 premium models might be a joy to play around with, but thats exactly the problem that might come up; who's wasting their time with the other 800 cars possibly sans cock-pit and other features?

Maybe its not all that bad, but the way its being announced is kind of worrying.

Comment

I thought GT4's 1080i mode was pants. I swear the text and other stuff suddenly looked worse, too. Apparently it was 640x540 and stretched horizontally. And I think GT5 runs at 960x1080? I haven't played GT4 on my LCD for a while, but I think I kept it at 480i as it looked the best to me, I didn't even choose 480p. I think it was because of the text and stuff again.

I found this which seems to explain it properly. He could be completely wrong, but I'll take his word for it as the final image looks exactly like GT4 in 1080i on my telly

As for this GT4 asset talk, I can't see that being a problem at all, as I'd have thought those assets would be a lot more detailed than the game required - didn't they scan the cars with lasers or something?

You'd have to be pretty dopey (or really, really obsessive, or maybe not have decent enough tech at the time) to laser-scan a car for a game for a console that probably can't display even 1% of that information, only to rescan the same car a few years down the line for that game's sequel on the next console, which itself will probably barely display 10% of that very same information.

Surely you'd scan a car at the highest data rate/resolution possible and figure out the logistics later? I'd think it's easier to remove polys, panels and whatnot than to add them.

Of course, it could mean the non-premium GT4 assets are the very same ones going round the tracks on the PS2, just lit using the new engine or having some other graphical tomfoolery applied to make them look 'ok', but judging by the pics of those muscle cars above, I think they're just fine.

What will be interesting, though, are races involving premium and non-premium cars, and seeing how jarring that could turn out. I'm not looking forward to collisions where one car goes CRAAASHHHH!111 and all its bits go flying about the place and the doors swing open and shut and there's sparks everywhere, while the other just goes 'DONK' and bumps a bit like in the previous games

Comment

Originally posted by dvdmike View Post
                  The GT4 assets must have been really high res to begin with
                  The original assets aren't usually what you see in the game though, most company will build the models in software such as 3D Studio MAX and AUTODESK then scale them down to be more manageable in the game.

The original models, textures, etc are what would probably be used in the intro shown below which seems to match up with what's being shown in the new videos.

Comment

I just saw the standard cars video and I'm definitely not worried one bit now. If it had been called premium cars video, I wouldn't have thought anything was off. Of course, I haven't really seen any premium cars videos, so maybe it'll ruin things somewhat if I do

Comment

All the GT5 trailers, bar that one are premium cars.
                      Plus GT5 will have DLC and you know that some will be free and some will be paid and that premium cars and tracks will be in it

Comment

I think the reason I haven't really noticed is because I appreciate more the realism of the lighting than the complexity of the models themselves. There's something about the Gran Turismo lighting that just makes it seem so much more real to me than other racing games. I thought PGR3 came close, especially with things like the windscreen scratches reflecting the sunlight in cockpit view, but that GT lighting is just

Comment

Just watched this video which has really impressed me!

Watch from around 40 seconds where the Subaru collides with an AI car. After the collision the player in the Subaru drives away, watch the car he hit rejoin the race and remember that it's AI doing that.

Comment

A.I. in considerate driving shocker! That was brilliant! I thought it was going to do a turn in the road

Comment

The AI in GT has always been absolutely pitiful, so it's about time they actually sorted it out.

Comment

Shame you can still wall ride and not lose any speed (seemingly).

Comment

Working...
                                X