No announcement yet.

Bordersdown's Super Ultimate "Best DS Games Ever" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing thread, toysthatkill!! Chock full of information that should prove useful in the future.

I don't play on my DS anywhere near enough but this gives me a good idea of games I should pick up for my system.

And I'm quoted 3 times!! Ah, fame

Comment

awesome job on the post toythatkills
      how many votes approvals does a new game get added and is it the lowest score gets bumped or we vote or debate on that?
      .......and hurry up with the PSP version,just kidding
      p.s think ive 6 or 7 quotes would have given more but wanted other forumites to contribute and also was thinking people might think ive sabotaged the post with so many comments
      p.p.s this needs stickied just the 1st page
      Last edited by MisterBubbles; 05-06-2009, 17:47.

Comment

Just to say as well congrats on an amazing thread. A definitive guide to the best games on DS for each genre, nice to see particular gems like Meteos, Zoo Keeper, and Another Code. Hope this thread gets pinned soon.

Comment

Thanks again, all

Originally posted by gaanbo View Post
          Just to say as well congrats on an amazing thread. A definitive guide to the best games on DS for each genre, nice to see particular gems like Meteos, Zoo Keeper, and Another Code. Hope this thread gets pinned soon.
          I just removed that one for Resident Evil, now I feel bad!

As for pinning it, it'll probably get noticed more if it's just bumped normally, I dunno about anyone else, but stickied threads are practically invisible to me!

RE: DS and CivRev added in.

Comment

criteria??
            my question toythatkills?

Comment

There's not really a voting system. If you think a game is worthy, just state why and if people back you up, it'll get in. If they don't, I'll just make a call myself based on general opinion I've encountered online, in the First Play thread, etc. I'm fairly familiar with a lot of DS games, whether I've played them or not, so yeah, I'll just make a call.

Same with which game gets "voted off," I have a fair idea of which games are stronger than others so I'll mostly decide myself which games will get replaced.

If people feel specific games should or shouldn't be in the thread, then they only have to say and it'll be discussed.

This thread isn't for the games that get the highest scores on Metacritic, though doubtless they all perform quite well. It's a thread for gamers to recommend games to other gamers. Sometimes games don't review well but they're loved regardless, and that kind of game is always harder to find out about. In theory: not anymore!
              Last edited by toythatkills; 05-06-2009, 18:18.

Comment

Ultimately, Resi is the best survival horror game on a handheld, and Capcom managed to pull off the seemingly-impossible, some would say silly task of bringing the genre onto a handheld, and pulled it off with style. That deserves some credit imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                  Ultimately, Resi is the best survival horror game on a handheld, and Capcom managed to pull off the seemingly-impossible, some would say silly task of bringing the genre onto a handheld, and pulled it off with style. That deserves some credit imo.
                  Quote added!

I was >< this close to using a quote from you from the First Play thread, too!

Comment

Just a little minor point about the DS Pok?mon games: They are soooo slowwww. Play a bit of Sapphire/Ruby, then play Pearl/Diamond. The battles are so immensely slowm which can be really irritating after a while. They're still super awesome though, but it makes me wonder what's next. Can Nintendo really think of another 150 Pok?mon and a better way to transfer your old Pok?dex over than catching 6 at a time extremely slowly?

Comment

maybe dont completely delete games that get bumped off, especially if youve put all the work into making them. how about just having the top 5 in detail like for adventure

phoenix wright
                      phantom hourglass
                      gta
                      resi
                      hotel dusk

and then below have the bettered games

another code

with a link to an individual post containing the information on them

does that make any sort of sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Strolls View Post

I think it's worth including the My Coach series - I've got My French Coach, and it's not bad. I think it'd definitely be worthwhile for kids, but I did quite a few years of French at school, and it didn't manage to keep me interested that long. I see that they now have a "level 2" version, and I may very well pick that up - since I did learn a little from the original, the level 2 should be perfect to get me on my toes.

French Coach, on the other hand, is interactive & fun - I think a beginner would definitely benefit from it, and it's probably a better way for kids to pick up vocabulary than just learning by rote.

Stroller.
                        Unfortunately it suffers from the crippling flaw of not including the gender with the words. I think the Spanish one does as well.

The Chinese one is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Stroppy View Post
                          Unfortunately it suffers from the crippling flaw of not including the gender with the words.
                          I'm not sure this flaw is actually crippling: native French speakers don't know the genders of French nouns.

I get the impression that in conversation, the native French just tend to "talk through" the gender, so that an abbreviated "l" sound is used irrespective of the correct "le" or "la".

When I came home after a month in France, surrounded almost entirely by native speakers & having met very few English during my time there, she corrected me for not using "pas" at the end of negation. I'm pretty sure I picked this up from locals - of course, it's quite possible they were just being polite and not correcting my mistake, but I think that I've listened to language courses since which have confirmed that the French tend to do this. (EG: "je suis un pomme" = "I am an apple"; "je ne suis pas un pomme" = correct way to say "I am not an apple"; "je ne suis un pomme" = common conversational shortcut for "I am not an apple").

Stroller.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
                            TTK thank you for doing this - what a lovely feature! It is going to help me while away my Friday at work

Top marks.
                            Seconded. A great thread indeed that will prove very useful to many people (including me). A gold star for ttk.

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                              Thanks again, all

I just removed that one for Resident Evil, now I feel bad!
                              That's fair enough, as much as I like Another Code the game is far too short and I realise it may not be great value for money for most DS owners. You've actually got me interested in RE now!

Could anyone say if any of the downloadable DSiware games are worthy of going on the list of best games at the moment? I'm thinking of getting a DSi soon and was wondering if there were any must-buys?

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo View Post
                                Just a little minor point about the DS Pok?mon games: They are soooo slowwww. Play a bit of Sapphire/Ruby, then play Pearl/Diamond. The battles are so immensely slowm which can be really irritating after a while. They're still super awesome though, but it makes me wonder what's next. Can Nintendo really think of another 150 Pok?mon and a better way to transfer your old Pok?dex over than catching 6 at a time extremely slowly?
                                Yeah, they're far from my favourite Pok?mon games but once I'd taken the remakes out of the RPG section (they dominated it, somewhat) there wasn't really much left. Pok?mon is still easily one of the best original RPGs on the system!

Originally posted by mekanor View Post
                                maybe dont completely delete games that get bumped off, especially if youve put all the work into making them. how about just having the top 5 in detail like for adventure

phoenix wright
                                phantom hourglass
                                gta
                                resi
                                hotel dusk

and then below have the bettered games

another code

with a link to an individual post containing the information on them

does that make any sort of sense?
                                It does make sense, yeah, and it was a bit disheartening removing the work I'd done, but I really want it just to be the top five games, with no added extras. If for no other reason than my Photobucket account already threatens to burst at the seams just with the images I've got in the first posts!

I've still got all the Another Code stuff saved, so I can do something with it later if I want to.

Originally posted by gaanbo View Post
                                Could anyone say if any of the downloadable DSiware games are worthy of going on the list of best games at the moment? I'm thinking of getting a DSi soon and was wondering if there were any must-buys?
                                I'm not going to put any DSi games in the list. Most of them aren't available in all regions which makes recommending them difficult/unfair. I may make an extra section for DSiWare in the future, when the catalogue expands greatly, but it'll likely be in the ninth post as just a list of titles.

Comment

Working...
                                X