Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a few issues with parallax barrier tech which I think they're almost certainly using:

-Narrow viewing angles
    -It halves the horizontal resolution
    -it won't work if the DS is held like a book.

Comment

Question is though, how would DS games play through a screen with that tech? The resolution of the screens will have to be greatly increased to compensate if they're going to push the backwards compatibility aspect.

Comment

It would be nice to get some real info about the specs, and how they're achieving backwards compatibility. If they're opting to use hardware that is inherently backwards compatible (like they did with the Wii), then it makes sense. But if there's truth to the persisting rumours that they're using Nvidia Tegra, is seems like quite a feat to get reliable emulation working on the hardware.

Comment

Parallax barriers can be switched off for non-3D enabled games making the screens behave like a regular LCD (although it'll then have double the horizontal resolution). From what I gather, Parallax barriers is essentially a second LCD layer made up of lots of verticle lines positioned in a way to ensure that both eyes see a different set of pixels.

For DS games they've the option of scaling or pixel doubing/trippling and leaving a border.

*edit*

Emulating a DS on a Tegra will be easy, the DS is an ARM 9 and an ARM7. Tegra is based on the more recent ARM 9s. The DS cpu has some custom instructions that would need to be emulated but most of it will run native on a Tegra.
          Last edited by abigsmurf; 25-03-2010, 13:33.

Comment

I'm not sure about the whole Tegra deal. Nintendo have never went for vaguely current tech for their handhelds. And Tegra has a lot of features that they don't need such as HD video encoding, various AV outputs, keyboard support etc.
            Unless the are getting a customised version with all the unrequired logic removed to make it more cost effective not to mention power efficient.
            I reckon the 3DS will be have custom ARM based ASIC focused on low power consumption something like what Apple has done with the iPad.

Comment

It's true that Nintendo usually avoid off the shelf components but it's possible it may be a non-standard SOAC solution from NVidia based around Tegra rather than a standard Tegra system.

Given they could achieve 100mill sales of the 3DS NVidia are likely to be willing to spend a lot of time and effort customising a chip for them.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                Parallax barriers can be switched off for non-3D enabled games making the screens behave like a regular LCD (although it'll then have double the horizontal resolution). From what I gather, Parallax barriers is essentially a second LCD layer made up of lots of verticle lines positioned in a way to ensure that both eyes see a different set of pixels.
                I wonder if a single parallax barrier could be used to shutter the screen in either vertical or horizontal directions?
                That would allow a second 3D mode for when the DS is used in book orientation. Who knows eh.

Also can this tech be combined with touchscreens? It would be lousy if only one of the screens has 3D imo. Then you wouldn't be able to use both screens as one big display without switching off 3D.

Comment

Im pretty excited to see just how this will work out but i have just thought of something.

LOL is it this time nintendo has pinched one of it's ideas from Sony? As they were doing 3D for the PS3 obviously thats with glasses but still, it seems a bit of a coincence that.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post

LOL is it this time nintendo has pinched one of it's ideas from Sony? As they were doing 3D for the PS3 obviously thats with glasses but still, it seems a bit of a coincence that.
                    Nintendo didn't invent EVERYTHING... actually with Sony it almost seems like a cycle:

Nintendo use analogue stick on N64
                    Sony use dual analogue on PS1-3
                    Nintendo use dual analogue on Gamecube/Wii classic controller

Nintendo make SNES controller
                    Sony make PS1 controller, add horns
                    Nintendo make N64/Gamecube/Classic Pro controllers with horns.

etc

Comment

Sorry for sounding like a fanboy, but Nintendo tend to do it better.

The design of the N64 controller was perfect for my hands. The classic controller pro is awesome (although the CC wasn't great). PS1 controllers have never sat well in my hands.

Comment

Im pretty excited to see just how this will work out but i have just thought of something.

Nintendo was getting its own back for Move.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                          Sorry for sounding like a fanboy, but Nintendo tend to do it better.

The design of the N64 controller was perfect for my hands. The classic controller pro is awesome (although the CC wasn't great). PS1 controllers have never sat well in my hands.
                          I guess it's all down to the individual person. The N64's analogue stick was FAR too large for my liking, I pretty much had to force myself to get used to it. I've also also hated Nintendo D-Pads and the fact that they're only 4 directional (but that comes from me playing Sega consoles back in the 90s).

But I guess it's all besides the point. The nature of the industry is that someone innovates, and others refine. That's what's happening with the Move controller. In fairness, Nintendo have a history of being the ones who innovate (or at least pioneer) in terms of control methods. Sony, Sega and Microsoft have been pioneers of other things.

Comment

Sony's been trying to associate their brand with 3D gaming for years.... But now it's likely that 95% of gamers will get their first 3D fix on Nintendo hardware.
                            Sony must be spitting tacks

And Nintendo's approach is better in many ways. No need to replace your TV. No clumsy glasses. It'll be far more practical to simply buy a 3DS than invest in Sony's system.
                            And the DS, Wii and entire Gameboy line have proved that consumers love cheap + practical

Also... I'll bet Sony will regret this quote veeeery soon:

John Koller's statement makes clear his skepticism about the competitor's new strategy: "I think it remains to be seen where Nintendo goes with 3D on a portable," he said. "Having been in the portable space for quite awhile, I think it's an interesting move, but one I'd like to see where they go from a demographic standpoint. 8- and 9-year-olds playing 3D is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now."

Yep. Because kids definitely won't go wild for a Pokemon game which springs up like a pop-up book in their hands. Nintendo is clearly onto a massive loser there.

joking apart, I suppose the good thing for Sony is that the 3DS will drive demand for 3D games in general. They're probably hoping we'll all "swim upstream" to expensive new televisions.

Comment

I just saw this on engadget and whilst its un-related I found it quite interesting:

Try as manufacturers might, attempts at autostereoscopic (glasses-free) TV have been subpar; existing tech typically makes for messy images due to ghosting, only provides a 3D effect if you're standing in one of a very few predetermined spots (usually 8-10 viewing angles, though we've heard of 64), and reduces display resolution -- all because only some pixels can be seen from each spot. With the occasional exception, it's not terribly impressive. Scientists at the National Chiao Tung University in Taiwan are looking to change that. Rather than block light with a parallax barrier, their screen uses a matrix of specially cut prisms to reflect it, reducing ghosting to nil and maintaining display resolution by sending the same image to each viewer. Though there are still a fixed number of viewing zones, the prisms are so tiny that manufacturers can simply add more prisms to each pixel to increase that number -- with 11 prisms per pixel, researchers say such a system could support 100 simultaneous 3D moviegoers. We've no word on whether the tech is affordable or when we'll see it, but we expect it to handily beat cyborg eyeballs to market.

They're obviously talking about cinema experience 3D but I am wondering if this sort of tech could be on the same theme as this new handheld.

Comment

maybe this is a silly question but could these 3d screens be touch screens also? I don't really understand any of the tech so not sure if its possible or not.

this could end up a very interesting device.

Input options:

traditional dpad (an analogue stick wouldn't go astray either) and face buttons,
                                touch screens,
                                accelerometer,
                                camera

that, and games displayed in 3d and rumble to boot...

Originally posted by Ouenben View Post
                                Nintendo make N64/Gamecube/Classic Pro controllers with horns.
                                as an aside, nintendo didn't just refine with the cube controller, they perfected traditional gamepads.

Comment

Working...
                                X