Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be stunned if it wasn't touch screen (though i don't understand the technical implications in the slightest). They'd be mad to ditch touch input since it's been so popular, and would rule out back compatibility.
    That's assuming it'll be dual screen at all...

Comment

The touch screen on a ds is a actually a separate layer on top of the lcd screen so i cant see why they wouldnt be able to add it to their new handheld..

Comment

Originally posted by Tig View Post

Yep. Because kids definitely won't go wild for a Pokemon game which springs up like a pop-up book in their hands. Nintendo is clearly onto a massive loser there. .
        Im 26 and i probably first in line for that, small children that get in my way be dammed

Comment

^ I'll be with you there.

Ugh, I'm such a fanboy some days.

Comment

As much as i'm looking forward to gaming in 3D, analogue features far higher on my want list. There are so many games in Nintendo's back catalogue that would be great on a handheld that only need analogue control!

Comment

The 3DS has to have dual analogues if it's going to include them.

The reason?

It will make touch screen + analogue games unplayable for lefties if they only put one on the left

Comment

Ah, good call.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post

The reason?

It will make touch screen + analogue games unplayable for lefties if they only put one on the left
                  If that were to prevent Nintendo from including at least a single analogue stick in the 3DS, screw lefties, I'd say!

Their PR people could even spin that and market it as 'Brain Training: How Developed Is Your Left Hemisphere'.

Comment

IGN have posted some info they've garnered on the 3DS

They reckon the press release was because they think details of an order they made to a screen manufacturer is bound to leak (hence why the PR only really gave concrete info on it having 3D tech). They also reckon the dev kits for the console aren't Tegra based (although that doesn't rule out Tegra given early dev kits tend to be an approximation of the console's power)

Comment

There aren't many mass production options on the market when it comes to glasses-less 3D displays for Nintendo's forthcoming 3DS handheld gaming console. And according to early leaks from Japan, the special Nintendo 3DS display is supposedly built by Hitachi and Sharp using a parallax barrier system. So guess where this new 3.4-inch, 480 x 854 pixel display is likely headed? While Sharp doesn't say for sure, it's a good bet that this parallax barrier 3D LCD will be fronting the user interface on the 3DS. Unlike the 3D displays you'll find in modern 3D HDTVs requiring the viewer to wear active or passive glasses, Sharp's display uses a parallax barrier system to create a sense of depth by using a series of vertical slits in an ordinary LCD to direct light to the right and left eyes. The panel offers a 500nit brightness, 1,000:1 contrast, and is available with or without a touchscreen. A non-touchscreen version of the display goes into mass production before June but there's no specific mention of the touchscreen timeline (but we imagine it won't be far behind). In other words, we could have a Nintendo 3DS on the market before the holidays. Just saying. Guess we'll find out for sure at E3 in June. Update: Akihabara News went eyes-on with the display and came away impressed with the colors and brightness. "Sharp have succeeded to do what Sony and Panasonic did without the need for 3D Glasses," the publication praised. Well, that sounds hopeful.

3.4" 854 * 480 (the horizontal resolution is effectively interlaced in 3D mode). Akihabara news say it's free of ghosting (always get that in cinema if I don't work to focus my eyes), bright and had strong colours.

It's the kind of odd hybrid resolution that Nintendo love.

Comment

woo if thats true consider me sold! That's 16:9 sd which would look very sharp on a screen that size. a very significant step up from the ds too.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post

The reason?

Not if it's a stupid flat nub or some kind of thing you screw on or stick in a hole on the side

Comment

This is a video report from the Sharp press conference yesterday.

Comment

Wonder if the new Pokemon is coming out for the 3DS, would explain why they're not showing anything of it.

Comment

Seems plausible, if they released with that then the thing would fly off the shelf like mad. Although it would be the first time ever a pokemon rpg was released on launch of hardware.

Comment

Working...
                                X