• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current long time irks

Loading times and ( barring Ninty ) the death of the platformer

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
      Overly loud footsteps, especially ones that never change.
      Holy crap that's annoying! What the heck were they thinking? What is this abomination so that I will never make the mistake of purchasing it (unless you can turn the foot steps off)?

Comment

"Protect the convoy" missions
        Allow me to communicate with the convoy and give it some basic orders.

"Do you want to..."
        Yes, I want to. It's not like I kept a button depressed for two seconds, chose one option and then confirmed my selection just to have fun.

"We're in this game too and no, you can't skip our logo"
        I'm sure someone else already mentioned it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flabio View Post
          Streaming simply isn't an option for all game types. Anything that's linear like Uncharted it's a no brainer. As soon as the player can go off in any direction, it gets a lot harder.

GTA4 does it, but at the cost of any kind of persistance beyond a few 100m from the player.

Oblivion does it, Fable2 doesn't. Fable2 has a lot more going on simulation wise though.

So often it's not always the dev being lazy, but it simply not being possible for the game they're building.
          I really admire how WoW pulls it off, and it's something I've taken for granted in an online environment for nearly four years now. Full continents containing 30+ zones, including vastly populated cities, all seamlessly linked. I remember me and my priest mate having a huge kick-off with a group of people that sprawled over three zones once before we finally ran out of steam and died. *cock out* LOL - I had some screens somewhere of the final entourage that took us down.

'Zoning' would be a major irk for any kind of adventure game I may find myself playing offline thesedays.

Comment

Backtracking to extend the length of the game. Halo 3 in co-op became a joke in the end:

"Ah, a long corridor. Reckon we'll be walking back along this in a few minutes?"
            Reach end of corridor
            CUTSCENE
            Enemies fill corridor
            "Sigh."

Comment

• Protect missions where the persons/convoy who your trying to protect has poor AI and path finding routines.
              • Sneaking missions where if you get seen it is game over.
              • Any RPG boss that has 3 parts and one of them regenerates.
              Tearing. :/

Comment

selecting 'quit game' getting another screen 'are you sure?' with NO selected.

Yes I want to quit which is why i selected it 4 choices down in the original menu...at least highlight YES so my impatient button stabs get it quit instead of the dpad not registering my move to Yes and having to go thru it all again!!

Comment

Publishers deciding that such and such game isn't suitable for a PAL release.

Comment

One hit kills (Mega Man). Lazy design.

Another trend that annoys the hell out of me is video games trying to be like movies. This has existed for a long time, only more recently they've had the tools to imitate film more effectively.

Pointless celebrity voices, "faux epic bull****", ite just smacks of desperation and wanting so badly to be taken seriously. None of it makes the game any more enjoyable.
                    Last edited by Lyris; 28-12-2010, 11:13.

Comment

Achievements or trophies showing up on screen which invariably have stupid sarcastic names. I find it incredibly distracting and cynical. I get the feeling this tacked on crap is being shoved down my throat. At least on 360 you can turn it off, with PS3 games, there-is-no-escape.

Comment

Not being able to turn down the gun sounds in games is really pissing me off at the minute - especially with stuff like Mass Effect 2 and RDR where you have plot followed by shoot outs. More so the former as the action would often jump in during a conversation. My set up means I'm always switching the volume down and up to avoid giving upstair's dog a heart attack. Also takes you out of it some what...

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle View Post
                          Achievements or trophies showing up on screen which invariably have stupid sarcastic names. I find it incredibly distracting and cynical. I get the feeling this tacked on crap is being shoved down my throat. At least on 360 you can turn it off, with PS3 games, there-is-no-escape.
                          I never knew this. How do you turn achievements off? Doesn't matter how immersive or atmospheric a game is - when that box appears with that distracting sound effect, you're reminded you're really just playing a game. It's even more annoying when it gets in the way of important text.

Comment

Originally posted by Sixty View Post
                            I never knew this. How do you turn achievements off? Doesn't matter how immersive or atmospheric a game is - when that box appears with that distracting sound effect, you're reminded you're really just playing a game. It's even more annoying when it gets in the way of important text.
                            On the current Dash - Guide button > Settings tab > Preferences > Notifications > untick 'Show Notifications'

Comment

Thank you! Didn't think it was possible. This will be so much better.

Comment

You'll lose all the 'X has signed in' and 'Download completed' messages as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X