No announcement yet.

Elder Scrolls V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, just to echo the above, get on to Oblivion asap. Personally, I actually prefer the combat without VATS. It certainly worked in Fallout, but Oblivion's combat just feels better to me, being so much more hands-on as it were. Awesome, awesome game and I absolutely can't wait for Skyrim.

Comment

always thought the vats thing was there as the actual first person shooter mechanics in fallout were a bit lackin dont think thats really needed in oblivion

Comment

I hated Vats in fallout, thought it slowed down the gameplay and the strategy didn't amount to anything. It only worked in the originals as it was turned based third person isometric.

Comment

Well I loved VATS in Fallout 3. Found it much better than the free combat and certainly more fun to look at. But I can see why it would matter less in Oblivion and how it would be okay without it. Bought it on Steam and may well start it tonight.

Comment

Have they brought back flying magic? Can you lock doors again like you could in Morrowind?

Oblivion sucked. It was like a game designed for idiots/babies/people with short attention spans. They'd dumbed the whole thing down to the point where there wasn't even any point in using the Mage's Guild to make spells. Why don't Skill enhancement spells boost your base points? Temporarily boosting your armourer skill doesn't actually allow you to mend magical equipment.

And where the **** were my spells of flight, door lock and Mark & Recall, eh? EH?!

Following this trajectory of each game becoming increasingly dumbed down, I can only imagine that Skyrim will actually just be a really long FMV game with QTEs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
              Oblivion sucked. It was like a game designed for idiots/babies/people with short attention spans.
              I tick two of those boxes so should be just right up my street.

Comment

I think what he's saying is 'Oblivion wasn't a PC game'. Which is fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Flabio View Post
                  I think what he's saying is 'Oblivion wasn't a PC game'. Which is fair enough.
                  Flabio totally understands me.

For the record: Owned the PC version, since I like my draw distances set to max. And yes, I know there were patches to reinstate all the stuff I-liked-but-was-missing-the-first-time, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                    Collectors edition announced...and suddenly preorders for the standard edition increase!

?129.99

Artbook could be good but who the **** wants to pay ?130 for a naff dragon statue?
                    The game on a disc, that's all I want.

If videogame publishers sold 'value' editions featuring just the game on a plain disc in a plain paper sleeve and nothing else, I'd buy those every time.
                    Last edited by Charlie; 08-08-2011, 15:37.

Comment

Double posting because I'm going to retell a story of why I loved Morrowind. I was about 4 or 5 hours into the game? Had only just started, low level, only a few basic spells.

Headed to House Hlalu in the capital and headed to the sleeping quarters on upper floors. Notice a key in a draw labelled "Vault Key", but can't steal it because there's a maid in the room. Use a Command Human spell to lure her out the room - but she keeps coming back in so I lock the door. Now I'm trapped inside. Steal the key without being spotted. Unlock door and go to vaults. Open all the locks with the key so don't alert the guards. Lock myself INSIDE the treasure room. Guards can see me stealing but door is locked so I'm safe. Pick up EVERYTHING so that I'm over encumbered by like 1000 points. Use spell of RECALL to warp to my house in Belmora (the dead guy's house). Offload expensive ebony and glass armour. Exit house and immediately cast flying spell because guards are now chasing me. Casually walk over to Thieves Guild and click on the door to enter while in the air. Pay minimal fine to guild leader.

Spend the next week or so offloading stolen goods for a fortune to the Mud Crab.

Oh my ****ing god it was glorious. That experience defined how stupidly awesome Morrowind was.

Oblivion lacked Mark and Recall, forcing me to trudge like a numpty back out through the dungeons. No chance to smash, grab and vanish! They also removed teleportation scrolls. Fast travel does NOT count since you can't fast travel into or out of dungeons and caves!

You can't lock doors! The best trick in the game was luring plebs into rooms and locking them in there to go about thieving. No such ****ing luck in Oblivion - there's no way to trap someone or protect yourself. Rubbish.

No flying magic. I mean, FFS, magic that MAKES YOU FLY. How can anyone think that is anything other than the GREATEST THING EVER?

It's like every single thing I liked in Morrowind they removed.

I am hoping for Skyrim they've brought all the good stuff back.
                      Last edited by Sketcz; 08-08-2011, 15:41.

Comment

I heard that bethesda took out mark/recall and levitate for balance reasons, which you have to admire given that its a SINGLE PLAYER game.

Similarly with oblivion's gold and item dupe tricks, which they claimed were exploits, completely ignoring the fact that pc players could eradicate all non-essential npcs with a single console command

Honestly, they best not try this **** again....

Comment

Having seen the 7 minute speed runs on Morrowind, I can kinda see their point... hehe.

I think flight went through nothing more draconian than it being an engine restriction. Being able to fly in a fully streamed game when you don't have the luxury of a guarenteed HD install is going to be technically *really* hard to do.

(well, unless you're the guys who did Just Cause 2 anyway, although that was something like 5 years later)
                          Last edited by Flabio; 08-08-2011, 16:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                            Oblivion sucked. It was like a game designed for idiots/babies/people with short attention spans.
                            It's just as well I'm not reading this thread, cos I'd have to get you for this comment.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                              It's just as well I'm not reading this thread, cos I'd have to get you for this comment.
                              Seconded, despite the removal of exploits and old spells, Oblivion still remains my favorite RPG to come out of the West - probably spent in excess of 200 hours on the 360 version and having recently downloaded the game off steam I've currently plunged a further 80 odd into all the player mods.

Comment

I loved Morrowind. And I loved Oblivion. Both quite different games.

But then, I don't think Deus Ex 2 was a bad game either, just not as good as Deus Ex was.

Comment

Working...
                                X