No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 4 + Code Veronica HD Remake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'd think they could replace the lighting effects with something similar but more standard, but I'm no coder. Similarly, it seems bizarre that they'd need to crop Code Veronica to achieve widescreen - it's rendered in real-time, after all. I'd much prefer 4:3 uncropped over 16:9 cropped with a reduced viewing area.

Comment

Or Megadrive it and have black or zombie artwork borders on the left and right.

It's peculiar but also I think typical of what they sometimes do with these HD re-releases to make them appear cooller. Widescreen support ends up being just another bullet-point but to us it will often be the deciding factor. The number of people I know who prefer stretched widescreen to the proper ratio for normal telly is staggering, but they're a big chunk of the audience, I guess.

Regardless, it doesn't make sense to me to only have a cropped mode and no 4:3 option at all. Default to cropped widescreen and bung the settings in an obscure menu if you have to.

Comment

So does this mean the JP Code Veronica X is still the superior version to own?

Comment

I would appear so, yes. Better keep that Dreamcast set up

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
            You'd think they could replace the lighting effects with something similar but more standard, but I'm no coder. Similarly, it seems bizarre that they'd need to crop Code Veronica to achieve widescreen - it's rendered in real-time, after all. I'd much prefer 4:3 uncropped over 16:9 cropped with a reduced viewing area.
            with CV, I thought they would've just expanded the viewing area left and right.. as is done in the emulated version (NullDC if I'm not mistaken..)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Great vid. And mind boggling when you consider Capcom themselves did a poorer job of converting it.

Comment

Was the ps2 version of CV not superior to the DC one?

Comment

Motion bluuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
                    Was the ps2 version of CV not superior to the DC one?

No, the PS2 version was pretty rubbish really. Overdone motion blue effect to mask the jagged edges being the main problem. The Dreamcast version also has much crisper texture work, and runs at a higher native resolution. Code Veronica X was released on the Dreamcast in Japan anyway.

The Gamecube version was decent, though at best 'as good' as the Dreamcasy game.
                    Last edited by sj33; 31-08-2012, 13:01.

Comment

Yeah the motion blur was weird. It also looked quite muddy compared with the DC one(as most DC-PS2 ports did). I think people mean it's superior in the sense that it's RE:CV X which I believe wasn't released on DC in the UK? Not sure if it has any PS2-specific stuff.

As for widescreen using NullDC; the NullDC lot don't have to ensure it looks fine in widescreen - just look at what happens during the cutscenes - whereas Capcom would have to get people to test the entire game in both modes and make sure it's ok, but cropped widescreen just sounds like a nonsense move to me. I haven't played it for a while but wouldn't they have to move the text at the bottom of the screen up a bit?

Comment

So basically the original is the best copy of the game and all the ones that have been rereleased since are technically inferior. As fan it Kinda makes yah feel duped on...

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
                          Yeah the motion blur was weird. It also looked quite muddy compared with the DC one(as most DC-PS2 ports did). I think people mean it's superior in the sense that it's RE:CV X which I believe wasn't released on DC in the UK? Not sure if it has any PS2-specific stuff.

As for widescreen using NullDC; the NullDC lot don't have to ensure it looks fine in widescreen - just look at what happens during the cutscenes - whereas Capcom would have to get people to test the entire game in both modes and make sure it's ok, but cropped widescreen just sounds like a nonsense move to me. I haven't played it for a while but wouldn't they have to move the text at the bottom of the screen up a bit?
                          So are we basically talking about a "pan scan"? 4:3 zoomed in until it fills the 16:9 area? That would result in ridiculous close-ups..

It's as if they KNEW they did a **** job and decided not to release the demo to force fans into buying it...

COME ON CAPCOM WTF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
                            So basically the original is the best copy of the game and all the ones that have been rereleased since are technically inferior. As fan it Kinda makes yah feel duped on...

Well, the best version would technically be the Dreamcast version of Code Veronica X (as opposed to regular Code Veronica) which was released in Japan, as that contains the same extras that was contained in Code Veronica X on the PS2.

Comment

Ahh, so that's the way it went.

I'll stick with US DC CV, not too bothered about the added PS2 stuff. I did play the PS2 one - I seem to remember a robot bee or something - but only got up to the Chris bit then didn't finish.

Originally posted by kyo_244 View Post
                              So are we basically talking about a "pan scan"? 4:3 zoomed in until it fills the 16:9 area? That would result in ridiculous close-ups..
                              That's what people on here have said.

Comment

It's somewhat mind-bending that 'pan scan' is being used to describe getting a 16;9 image from a 4:3 image, rather than vice versa :P

Comment

Working...
                                X