X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
    And there is your problem!
    I have no idea what you are getting it tbh.

Comment

Thanks to the used games market, those games are worthless....
      They are worth less. Not worthless to everyone. And not because of used sales but because they aren't current. Hobbit is 20 quidon blu ray. Older movies are a tenner. Older second hand movies are even less. It's just how things work. You make a game. It sells x copies at full price. You make another game. Publishers should go in with that attitude.

Comment

Well they often do, hence a platinum release at ?20.

Comment

Exactly. And a used copy will be 12 quid. What's wrong with that system?

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
            They are in the minority though and are rather insignificant to get in the way of a corporate giant, carving a new strategy and way of distributing entertainment.
            this it the thinking that encourages corporate giants to milk and restrict consumers further and further.

problem with this whole second hand game market policy is: if DRM on physical products will work for the gaming industry and the first lawsuits are decided i favour of the publishers then soon movies and music industry might follow suit. means your Blu-ray or DVD might also be locked to accounts or players.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
              Exactly. And a used copy will be 12 quid. What's wrong with that system?
              When no retailers stock the new release version because they always have more profitable used stock to hand.

I bad exactly this the other week when I went to buy God of War 3, I had no choice but to buy it used from the store as they don't have any new copies.
              All the games shops have higher number of titles used than they do new, this is one of the ways that used games had become a problem.

Developers can't make the games we want and expect of them because the market is so limited.
              Even when buying new release titles the retailers are offering you a ?2 cheaper copy of the same game, for which the developer will get nothing.

Comment

Piracy is always wheeled out as a justification for these kinds of things. The reality is games publishers think they are a special case & their media deserves to be paid for every single time it changes hands,
                The reality is a game publisher only makes money on each game sold , retail might make yet more money from the 2nd hand market but I doubt games corps do

It's all to do with greed & nothing more, books dvds & music dont have this crap attached. Where you have to have some form of license transfer/fee to use something you picked up cheaply second hand.
                I think its only a matter of time before BluRay films go down the route and then of course they're different subject matters .

With films studios can also make money in the cinema or TV stations, with music you can make money from MTV/Radio plays and concerts and the like, with games I would imagine the only way the developer will be able to make money is if a consumer buys their product brand new in the shop or online

Comment

Good point Boris. I'd be totally in favour of shops not being allowed to sell second hand games. Game and the like are the real problem. As you say you go in to buy a new game and they ask if you want a cheaper used copy. Luckily I still have an indie so I get my new stuff from there and used on here.
                  What ms should have done is said any shop that sells second hand won't be supplied with new titles. I realise this is a difficult thing to do but I actually think the fallout wouldn't have been as bad as with this drm

Comment

Good point indeed Boris. For me the maximum price of a pre owned game should be ?29.99 or something like 75% of the price it was sold for new in store, which would bring margins down when you consider a decent trade in value too and it would keep the need for new items on the shelves too.

Comment

I'm not really sure how we ended up the way we did. Game never sold 2nd hand hand PC games, even in the days before serial keys.
                      When I did a stint in one I was told it was because you needed a license of some sort.

At some point this was going to become a problem, if it wasn't for the legimate concern about bandwidth and broadband speed then Microsoft could of skipped discs altogether and we would of been in an even worse scenario.

It's going to gradually go that way, Sony are releasing most games as Digital options and haven't Nintendo already released several full proved titles as digital only?

Comment

The best fix for this would be to have some kind of license fee escalator. As the game gets older the fee to transfer the game becomes cheaper. Thats a fudge to make it slightly better for the consumer and it wouldn't affect my decision not to purchase any console with this kind of system but it'd be a lesser evil than what we're staring at currently.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrock View Post
                          The best fix for this would be to have some kind of license fee escalator. As the game gets older the fee to transfer the game becomes cheaper. Thats a fudge to make it slightly better for the consumer and it wouldn't affect my decision not to purchase any console with this kind of system but it'd be a lesser evil than what we're staring at currently.
                          For me, the problem would be exactly the same - we'd rely on a third party entity to be able to play preowned games, who may or may not still be providing licences.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            Lets get one thing clear right now, Nobody forces me to buy anything when it comes to games or consoles . I just buy the games and consoles I like and that's it
                            Yeah, and if you see a game you 'like' as you put it...you have no choice but to pay full price now. See.

Comment

I'm not really sure how we ended up the way we did. Game never sold 2nd hand hand PC games, even in the days before serial keys.
                              When I did a stint in one I was told it was because you needed a license of some sort.

At some point this was going to become a problem, if it wasn't for the legimate concern about bandwidth and broadband speed then Microsoft could of skipped discs altogether and we would of been in an even worse scenario.

It's going to gradually go that way, Sony are releasing most games as Digital options and haven't Nintendo already released several full proved titles as digital only?

All the drm crap could be avoided if there was a common sense fee paid back to the developers and publishers on used titles, say 35% of the used sale split between dev and pub. Unfortunately this would require cooperation and common sense, something seemingly most people lack these days, especially where money is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by 25.05.2005 View Post
                                Yeah, and if you see a game you 'like' as you put it...you have no choice but to pay full price now. See.
                                Or you just wait 2 to 3 months for the game to be listed on hotdeals uk and get it on the cheap see !.

Comment

Working...
                                X