No announcement yet.

Next Gen Im going Retro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I disagree with your disagreement :-)

Movie and books are both a one way information flow. The fact that a game can do everything a movie can and take direction from the player / be influenced by other players means greater potential IMO.

Comment

^ If you think books are a one way flow you're not a very engaged and attentive reader, to be honest. You might not be able to alter the words on the page or the outcome of the plot, but you may have noticed that different people arrive at different interpretations of the same work. This is no less creative/expressive than the interactions within a videogame - in fact, it is much more so.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
        Hmmmmm. There are a number of great, original, imaginative games. They are surrounded by a gigantic ocean of brainless cookie-cutter clones though. I shouldn't complain though; movies suffer from this much more for example.
        Originality is always extremely hard though, new ideas are few and far between these days, then you have to makes sure no one nicks your idea and your able to transfer it into a useable product, it must be double hard with games too.

As Dave said though if you put your all into something it shows through in the end, so even if something isn't original, if its had love and attention put into it usually speaks for itself.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW
          Movie and books are both a one way information flow

I can see where you're coming from, but I think Virginia Woolf and Roland Barthes would have some strong words of disagreement with you

Comment

I have no problem with clones and a lack of originality. For me this generation lacks quality game design and even the best games are simply made as throwaway experiences, designed in way that you can't fail to complete them.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
              I have no problem with clones and a lack of originality. For me this generation lacks quality game design and even the best games are simply made as throwaway experiences, designed in way that you can't fail to complete them.
              This is what gets on my tits especially. Most just lol their way through on normal and then forget/trade-in or whatever, before marking it 8,9,10/10 because it had a good story and combat. If a harder difficulty is decided it's just the same **** but the enemies have more health and hit harder/faster... Look at Vanquish - on Normal it's a run+gun cover shooter. Ramp up the difficulty and it becomes bullet-hell on foot, and the levels are clearly designed around this aspect.

Comment

I remember when higher difficulties meant different mission objectives. Ala Perfect Dark... Now there was a fine FPS. Was saddened to see the HD remake getting hated on by 360 reviewers, who preferred COD or Halo.

Comment

Have you both played Enslaved? One of the worst games of it's type. Terrible terrible design wrapped up in standard, easy on the eyes visuals and that oh so crazy character design. Got massive scores and it was a train wreck of game design.

I honestly think people have forgotten what makes a good game and the easy to achieve presentation papers over the cracks.

Comment

The demo seemed alright. It falls into the category of "if I find it for less than a fiver I might use it to waste a weekend on".

Unfortunately that applies to so many games these days.

Comment

I'm tired of automated jumping and limited platform action, design like that is basically just a real time QTE. I'm tired of huge icons appearing above characters when it is time to initiate a counter attack or similar.

I CAN REMEMBER THESE THINGS!

Comment

Not much to add other than to say this thread has been a very interesting read, particularly the comments about cultural preservation and videogame history from sketcz. Where can I read your interviews dude?

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                          I remember when higher difficulties meant different mission objectives. Ala Perfect Dark... Now there was a fine FPS. Was saddened to see the HD remake getting hated on by 360 reviewers, who preferred COD or Halo.
                          **** the extra content, regenerating health is the true innovation... .. . (._.')

... and the absolute gold mine of replayability comes from the speed runs which, again, everything is built around and then stripped down to accommodate the easier (or learning) difficulties.

Where is the extra content found these days? Yep. No need to say it.

Comment

Western game design has taken over. Not that I hate it, just some areas where it isn't as good.

Comment

British game design. What happened?

Mollyneauaxe went **** after Bullfrog, and an American firm bought Rare. GG. It's a shame because I always found that UK stuff always felt more gritty. Probably the last game that felt this way was Conker's Bad Fur Day. The ending in that game is quite apt, considering the whole journey was a mini-game challenge as a nod to the entire world of vdeo games. I can't think of a genre that wasn't covered. A very suitable bow out from one of the UK's best devs.

I suppose the same happened in the cinema with films. Back in the 90's UK cinema had a lot of grit, now it's all yanked up to the hilt. I watched the first few minutes of that new Sweeney film the other day and laughed at it. wtf...

I've not played Enslaved, btw.
                              Last edited by dataDave; 14-03-2013, 16:12.

Comment

Early 90's computers were great for western and especially British games.

Comment

Working...
                                X