Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
      it looks utterly devoid of charm, like the gameloft version of everybody’s golf.

why do avatars have to be floating bodies with no legs on everything on quest is it some sort of law on quest.
      It's because the Quest's tracking doesn't track your feet, and there was the perception that including them caused motion sickness. It's also because one of the big early successes in this field (Rec Room) did it, and it kinda caught on.

This is being done away with now though, because the Quest's new body tracking algorithm is pretty amazing (you can already use it via Virtual Desktop/VRChat). Quest avatars even have legs within the Quest home space now (not sure about Horizon; I don't use it).

Comment

God RecRoom i just can't even bring myself to install that the avatars look like poundland Mii's, Whats with all these really ****e looking game avatars in this sort of games, it always puzzles me how games like this get so big when they look so bad. Roblox is another one that confuses me they have these knock off Lego style look to the game, and it's massive.

Comment

Pimax has announced some new products:

Pimax Crystal Super with swapable optics/screen, so this whole module can change between QLED with mini-LED 3840 x 3840 per eye at 120 Hz ($1799) and an OLED 4K per eye at 90 Hz ($1999), or you can get the dual kit for $2399 and swap them as you desire.

Features Exceptionally sharp 3840 x 3840 resolution per eye; Option to choose between QLED or Micro-OLED screens; Glass aspheric lenses providing a large sweet spot; Innovative interchangeable optical system, a world's first; 50-57 PPD for incredibly clear vision; Eye-tracking capabilities; Compatibility with MR and Li

Then there's the Pimax Crystal Light, which is available as a QLED ($699) or a QLED with local dimming ($899) - these are 2880x2880 per eye at 120 Hz.

Features: Ultra-sharp 2880 x 2880 resolution per eye. Glass aspheric lenses with a large sweet spot. 35 PPD for super clear vision. Variable refresh rate (60Hz, 72Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz) provides smooth gameplay. Manually adjustable IPD (58-72mm). Foveated Rendering: Fixed 2.0. Easy setup with inside-out tracking or expand wi

Both are pure PCVR.

Comment

Concerned they're charging a fee for pre-orders. Pimax don't have the best reputation.

Comment

That crystal lite might do as a replacement for my reverb

Comment

Meta today announced some changes to its virtual reality business to make it a more open ecosystem for developers and u…

Meta opens up it's Quest OS to third parties for their own hardware

They've already announced the most pointless LE ever, and Xbox branded version. You may have wondered why the least VR supporting console brand would make a good choice?

Simple - this Limited Edition... comes with an Xbox controller

Comment

That is a smart move IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/meta-o...party-hardware
                    Meta opens up it's Quest OS to third parties for their own hardware

They've already announced the most pointless LE ever, and Xbox branded version. You may have wondered why the least VR supporting console brand would make a good choice?

Simple - this Limited Edition... comes with an Xbox controller
                    Well it can only mean more options and a more open platform so yeah it's a good move to simulate the market.

Don't think much of having an Xbox edition headset though. I know you can stream game pass on meta but I feel it's like Xbox just messing with us at this stage.

Comment

I’m assuming this will require Facebook sign in for these other Manufacturers, headsets?

Comment

100%

Zuckerberg: "Trying to avoid making an account? Meta luck next time! Bwa ha ha!"

It's not a problem though, the sign in I have is pretty much just date of birth I think and an email address, the basic requirements to login are very minimal

Comment

Originally posted by huxley View Post
                          I’m assuming this will require Facebook sign in for these other Manufacturers, headsets?
                          Even Quest headsets don't need this anymore, so, no.

They replaced it with a "Meta account", which is really different (Zuckerberg even intimated when introducing it that if you want, you can create one with a totally seperate email to any FB account you have and never connect them in any way). It came about because Meta has office productivity tools, like Microsoft Teams, but no-one was using them (even internally at Facebook they'd had people try to refuse) because people don't want to use their Facebook accounts to log in at work, etc.

Though in truth, you'll probably need a Meta account whether it's one of these Xbox headsets or any other. I mean, you don't get far with an Android phone without a Google account, even if your phone isn't a Pixel.

Comment

I'm wondering what the main perk is with this move? I'm assuming the primary driver is that Meta are thinking that they can retain growing Quest user numbers but hopefully reduce focus on losing money on hardware manufacturing? Or it's about getting more people using their tools?

Whilst the idea for some of using their Quest account on a higher spec headset might sound nice by and large Quest software doesn't require it. If you buy a high end headset with a Meta OS installed you're not going to want to play Quest 2 software with it. Likewise, if you're a general user you're not likely to get a consumer level headset released that rival the quality of the Quest 3 for better money either so it feels like this has to be aimed less at normal users.

Comment

I don't think Meta were ever in this for the hardware. If VR takes off, they want to own the ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                I don't think Meta were ever in this for the hardware. If VR takes off, they want to own the ecosystem.
                                This is my worry, we don’t need such a company like Facebook being the gatekeepers To what could potentially be the next big thing in social online entertainment.

in the meantime, it will boost the numbers I guess, let’s hope commonsense prevails in the future before they get to strong a grip.

Comment

Working...
                                X