No announcement yet.

PTE52: Playstation Vita - Two Years On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is weird. They do almost nothing to promote it as a system and so it's odd to release new colours.

Actually, has anyone played Resident Evil Revelations 2 on it? Have been tempted...

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      It is weird. They do almost nothing to promote it as a system and so it's odd to release new colours.
      I suppose the PSP-3000, PSP-GO and the crappy budget Euro-only one all came out a fair while after the PSP had seen its apex as a format.
      Last edited by Asura; 02-09-2015, 11:39.

Comment

It's selling pretty steadily in Japan where these colours are for...but people equate being outsold by 3DS as FAILED.

In the West is another story however.

Comment

Originally posted by BaronSqwelch View Post
          It's selling pretty steadily in Japan where these colours are for...but people equate being outsold by 3DS as FAILED.
          Maybe. I think the machine's biggest problem was that a "healthy" console has...

• a bunch of good games you've played
          • a bunch out that you haven't played yet
          • a bunch on the way you like the look of
          • a bunch on the way which appeal to a wider audience
          • the promise of new, exciting games no-one's seen yet (but you're pretty sure are on the way)

The PSP had all that covered, as did the DS - but the PSVita never did.

The 3DS's unsuccessful early life was caused by the same problem; namely that they launched with fanfare, but were missing several of the categories (I sold my launch 3DS after 3 months because the upcoming releases were so barren). It eventually recovered around the time of Mario Kart 7 - though admittedly, since the New-3DS launch, it has fallen into the same trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post

Actually, has anyone played Resident Evil Revelations 2 on it? Have been tempted...
            I suspect there is some promotion of it in Japan, maybe J-posters can tell us. Every time someone is using a handheld in an anime it is always a Vita-alike, never a 3DS style design.

Reminds me of what Asura posted regarding Wonderswans popping up in late 90s/early noughties anime due to Bandai's involvement in the anime industry. I've been wondering if it is for the same reason.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              Reminds me of what Asura posted regarding Wonderswans popping up in late 90s/early noughties anime due to Bandai's involvement in the anime industry. I've been wondering if it is for the same reason.
              Pretty sure it is.

Plus, I also imagine the Vita's seen as the more aesthetically pleasing console. I own a 3DS, and prefer it games-wise, but even I wish it was more like the Vita.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the 3DS hardware either. That screen is so low res. The Vita is far nicer by comparison.

Comment

I find the Vita is too high res and the system doesn't have the power to do it justice. Too many jaggy games as a result.

Comment

Those new colours would have looked nice if they were full fronted, as they stand it looks cheap now. Personally I think the phat Vita in white is where its at:

I've been enjoying a few games on it and its a great machine in terms of screen, battery, comfort (once you get the right grip) and control but it will be worth its investment once the security is dumped and it gets a CFW and some emulators - then the device will shine.

But given the way Sony have been implementing this new "layer" form of security with each incremental update that allows less and less access to the main architecture of the machine and this cat and mouse approach keeps on sealing up any weak points. That and the team on the scene aren't really the same as they were in the olden days as everyone wants to be twitter famous now, not like it was in my day...

Overall a good console but no PSP in any respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      The only Vita thread I could find was pretty old, so thought it best to post this here - Sony's doing a new issue of the Vita with new colours:

I think that apart from the colours, it's just the same unit.

Seems weird; I thought they'd ditched it.

Personally I'd still go for the Lime Green/White unit from a few years back.
                      They're releasing blue in the US as a GameStop-exclusive. Idiots.

Comment

Unless they're reducing the rrp and throwing in a memory card as swansong blowout it's a waste of time them bothering at this point.

Comment

Working...
                        X