Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they were incredibly lucky to survive the rise of the PS and XBox and, without their handhelds, they might not have. I think what you’re suggesting would have been the death of them.

Comment

Switch is unique, obviously. Hardware-wise to the detriment of both its handheld and home console forms, but you can’t do that any other way. I think a smaller handheld, with a better battery but no video output and put their home console games out on all the other platforms. But really that’s just what I want

Comment

Nintendo's such a stubborn company that if they reached a point were they couldn't shift hardware anymore I'd expect them to exit gaming before I'd expect them to go third party.

Comment

Nintendo literally have more money and resources than they know what to do with. None of us will ever live to see them go bankrupt, such is their fiscal strength.

Yet people still be like:

"NiNtEnDo WiLL diE iF tHeY tRy tO mAkE a PrOpEr cOnSoLe EvEr aGaIn!!!111!!!"

Truly hilarious sh1t.

Comment

I suppose it's also easier to make a multitude of 20M sellers for weaker hardware over a single year than it is to make fewer heavyweight titles for something a lot more cutting-edge.

Comment

They barely even bother doing that, just slap a new cover on a past gen game and let it do all the heavy lifting. If Switch 2 continues the eco-system of the Switch I genuinely don't know how they'll maintain support without the ability to pad things out with things like ARMS DX or New Super Mario Odyssey

History shows Nintendo has no issue at all leaving one market and moving into a different one if it suits, I'm almost curious what they'd do if consoles stopped working for them

Comment

I love my Switch and you're all meanie sourpusses. I do wonder at the peculiar hold or spell Nintendo weaves, though. I'm very much looking forward to playing Dusk and Loop Hero in the next couple of months, and have held off on those until they do release on Switch, even though I can get them much cheaper and forward compatible on PC. I think the thing Nintendo must be the most effective at is in making their customers stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  History shows Nintendo has no issue at all leaving one market and moving into a different one if it suits, I'm almost curious what they'd do if consoles stopped working for them
                  More toys.

I think Nintendo are, at heart, a toymaker. All of their best selling consoles have played to their strengths in that regard, I reckon.

Comment

I'm happy they went in the direction they did.

The thing is power means very little anymore to the general gaming population sure there's always a small group of people that will keep chasing those cutting edge specs and agonizing over tv settings but at the end of the day people just want fun games cutting edge or not. Currently the switch is destroying next gen, especially in japan a console that has a fraction of the power but a buttload of fun games is totally dominating the charts with many already been million sellers. Xbox is still a joke that ms keeps pushing over there despite appauling sales. Even Playstation has now gotten to the point where they have pretty much abandoned japan in favour of chasing the west and it's starting to show in the japanese charts as apart from a handful of token efforts. It was only the other week that not one single xbox or playstation title even appeared in the charts stuff that hasn't been seen like that in a very long time. Most 3rd parties have now jumped to developing for switch as you don't need to go all out on budget and the playerbase is huge meaning that even a moderately well made game will sell a fortune. Look at Konami with momotaro it's a simple board game with average graphics yet it sold millions because the playerbase is there, it did numbers that next gen could only dream of and that was just a average 3rd party title. Over the obon holidays the only thing that hit the charts for playstation was the updated ghost of tsushima game, within a week or so that will slide down the charts like all the others.

Nintendo totally chose the correct path this time around, switch is selling like crazy. It's now a haven for indie titles as well as the usual stuff nintendo put out and the other 3rd party stuff. The last time nintendo went in the power stakes it was the gamecube & look what happened with that, despite it been a wonderful machine it was totally shunned by the gaming world seen as some kiddy block with a handle, gamers wanted dvd players and edgy shooting games in a variety of shades of brown & grey. This time around switch is appealing to many types of gamer, there's titles for everyone. Well nearly everyone if you want western AAA cinematic games then the switch is probably not a good choice. So far next gen seems to be more of the same but with nicer graphics, there's not enough to justify even remotely jumping on board yet. Sure it's still in it's beginnings but it's nowhere near enticing enough to make me spend despite having multiple oppertunities both in finances & chances to pick up both consoles.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    More toys.

I think Nintendo are, at heart, a toymaker. All of their best selling consoles have played to their strengths in that regard, I reckon.
                    This is still totally apparent things like labo & mario kart live show that they still like to embrace their toymaking past. I can only imagine the amount of fun crazy things they would make if they devoted all their time & effort into making toys again.
                    Last edited by importaku; 29-08-2021, 16:31.

Comment

I reckon their next machine might not improve too much when it comes to specs. It'll be an incremental upgrade because that's what works for them, and not only for them of course, but as Importaku says, a lot of other outfits as well.

Comment

And when it arrives it'll be due to see the release of Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 (TBA)

Comment

Nintendo are in no way going to enter the race with Sony & MS again for high end consoles. Why on earth would they?

Profit is sanity turnover is vanity.

Comment

Any particular reason other than Nintendo that monkey ball is £35 on switch and £15 on PS and XBox

Comment

Originally posted by Junko View Post
                              Any particular reason other than Nintendo that monkey ball is £35 on switch and £15 on PS and XBox
                              which release you mean the double pack or the one that already came out?

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                                which release you mean the double pack or the one that already came out?
                                Banana Mania out in October

Comment

Working...
                                X