PlayStation 5: Thread 04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Hmm, I just noticed that the prices of the PS5 has gone back up. I must have missed that it was a temporary price cut. Makes me wonder if they were testing the water to get an idea of how a new model might sell at that kind of price. Kinda glad I bought now... I guess?

Comment

PlayStation Portal Hands on

Comment

Portal's priced a little lower than I expected, but seems there's also new Pulse Explore (earbuds) and Pulse Elite (over-ear w/ mic) headphones launching around the same time.

Comment

I was under the impression Sony had used some kind of new tech they had invented for this, but it just seems like it's just a device you could connect as you would with phone/steam deck etc.

As talked about in the other cloud/remote gaming thread, this seems like it will probably be hit and miss in terms of performance i.e. moments of lag and controller latency.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
              I was under the impression Sony had used some kind of new tech they had invented for this, but it just seems like it's just a device you could connect as you would with phone/steam deck etc.

As talked about in the other cloud/remote gaming thread, this seems like it will probably be hit and miss in terms of performance i.e. moments of lag and controller latency.

Except its a locked down system it only works with the ps5, and is not multitasking loads of processes and services like a phone is so should be a lot more stable for remote play.

Price-wise that's quite surprising less than a decent second monitor set up i was looking at and a lot more handy too. The weird situation with the you need the new buds or the pro headset as their is no bluetooth is less than ideal though as it means you cant use your standard headset if your not in the same room at the PS5.
              Last edited by Lebowski; 23-08-2023, 15:29.

Comment

DOA for me which is a real shame because Sony could have done wonders here keeping it an open platform.

I do love that it's essentially a dual sense wrapped around a screen so from a controller standpoint they nail the brief and an 8" screen is perfect.

That's where it falls apart though. No other functionality outside of streaming I think it's a mistake... as is no bluetooth support.

That last part might be down to latency but as someone who has locally streamed both PS5 and Xbox to Steam Deck using Bluetooth ear buds for audio this I think it's their biggest mistake.

It very much paints it as a closed platform device which is not the direction I think it needs to face when you can spend slightly more for a device which does the exact same tricks and so much more...

Comment

I may be interested in the Pulse Buds but will wait for reviews to come out and see what they are like.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                    DOA for me which is a real shame because Sony could have done wonders here keeping it an open platform.

I do love that it's essentially a dual sense wrapped around a screen so from a controller standpoint they nail the brief and an 8" screen is perfect.

That's where it falls apart though. No other functionality outside of streaming I think it's a mistake... as is no bluetooth support.

That last part might be down to latency but as someone who has locally streamed both PS5 and Xbox to Steam Deck using Bluetooth ear buds for audio this I think it's their biggest mistake.

It very much paints it as a closed platform device which is not the direction I think it needs to face when you can spend slightly more for a device which does the exact same tricks and so much more...
                    It's a tricky one, too cheap and people will ask whats wrong with it, to expensive just get a base steamdeck for £350 as like you say it can do so much more, the other issue is the crap state of modern controllers, Ive had 2 PS5 controllers need sticks swapping now so it doesn't inspire confidence that this is a screen with non replaceable standard controller components.

Comment

I am tempted as I have some uses for such a device. I've tried on my Steam Deck, but it can be a bit buggy on there (the odd frame white flash). If this gets decent reviews from users, I may consider.

Comment

Still seems redundant and I'm in the camp that baulks at the price point. It's expensive for what it is and only makes sense in terms of factoring this gens PlayStation Tax factor. In 2024 I'm anticipating the launch of the £249.99 PlayStation lefthand screwdriver

Comment

The only reason I could see it being worth it is if they can somehow sideload other stuff to make it more open and not just for PS5.

When I used PS5 on Steam Deck is was pretty seamless using Chiaki... I've even had a great experience just on Android using the PS play 3rd party app.

This will obviously feel like more of an extension of the PS5 given the controller setup but I think functionally other devices are already performing at the same level.

Comment

I use the same on my Steam Deck. It's not perfect. I tried it today with my PS5 right next to me running Cyberpunk. It was ok in terms of latency, but there was the odd white frame flashing up like every 20 seconds or so.

This can't be hacked much if there's no real storage on it, right?

Comment

It has to be running some OS to function so while it might be light on actual storage it can still be modified.

I'd expect it's running android, way cut down with a custom launcher. If that is the case then there's a slim chance it can get stuff sideloaded to run other stuff.

Xbox, Steam, Geforce Now etc... they'd all need pretty small storage to add more streaming options.

Comment

Prototypes were spotted running android so seems likely the finished item is too.

Comment

Working...
                                X