PlayStation 5: Thread 05

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hudson View Post
    "To keep the hardcore gamers engaged..." Oh **** off you patronising ****. That's aimed at Drewdew, not you Hudson to be clear. I think I need a lay down.

I ****ing love the developer is going for something else! Getting great vibes from Helldivers 2. Have very fond memories of Lost Planet, Halo, TC: Vegas Co-Op modes. There's been too much catering to multiplayer PVP over the years, more fun with mates rather than talking about frame rates and angry children.

Comment

Reading between the lines I think the no major release is entirely due to GTA6. One would think it will absolutely dominate on every platform it is released on. With Sony and MS reaping their 30% or whatever the hell their store cut is, they both will be making bank. It will sell consoles as well. **** I may even buy it even though I am over the GTA game loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
        Reading between the lines I think the no major release is entirely due to GTA6. One would think it will absolutely dominate on every platform it is released on. With Sony and MS reaping their 30% or whatever the hell their store cut is, they both will be making bank. It will sell consoles as well. **** I may even buy it even though I am over the GTA game loop.
        It will be nice to play it on console at 60fps on PS7 or 8.

Comment

Given GTA6 isn't due until 2025 at the earliest, I very much doubt that and not everyone likes GTA anyway.

Way more likely that it's down to major game development taking years to do and is prone to slippage like all big software projects are. We've seen slippages on PS5 projects that have now been released, and this naturally impacts the next projects those studios are working on.

If this trend of dev continues, there's going to have to be a re-evaluation of the scope of projects - I think I'd agree with earlier posts of having some studios concentrate on putting out smaller-sized first-party projects so that there are things to fill the gaps between major releases - this goes for all platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            Given GTA6 isn't due until 2025 at the earliest, I very much doubt that and not everyone likes GTA anyway.

Way more likely that it's down to major game development taking years to do and is prone to slippage like all big software projects are. We've seen slippages on PS5 projects that have now been released, and this naturally impacts the next projects those studios are working on.

If this trend of dev continues, there's going to have to be a re-evaluation of the scope of projects - I think I'd agree with earlier posts of having some studios concentrate on putting out smaller-sized first-party projects so that there are things to fill the gaps between major releases - this goes for all platforms.
            The industry is going to have to change and go back to a more balanced approach to releases, these gigantic sprawling 200h releases are unsustainable long term for devs. Hell, look how many people work on COD every year for an 8h campaign and multiplayer that’s basically rehashed, it’s astronomical.
            Last edited by fishbowlhead; 16-02-2024, 11:04.

Comment

It's repeated across the board, so much bloat in tentpole games. Assassins Creed: Valhalla was supposed to have around 760 collectibles in it when it launched and take around 140 hours to 100% which is... mindnumbing to think about but fine in of itself until Ubisoft then want to shovel repeated DLC launches, multiple AC games out in a constant line up and then take that same content approach to all of its large franchises. So much cost to make and unsustainable both in dev costs but also for consumers even if they're interested.

Shrink Far Cry 7, Assassins Creed 52, Watch Dogs 4 etc by half, axe their 50 spin-offs and make me a linear cracking 10hr Splinter Cell or Rainbow Six dammit.

Comment

Valhalla is a great game, probs one of the strongest AC games I've played, I doubt the collectibles aspect adds much to dev, given these will be functionally generative - Ubisoft have done smaller projects with that IP, like Mirage and all the AC Chronicles games. The AC games are one of the strongest properties in their portfolio I'd say.

Comment

I'd be curious as to whether, in Ubisofts case, part of the reason so many of their games share DNA is because costs are kept in by reigning in how much the templates diverge and being able to share tech across projects as a result. One of the reasons I didn't run to Avatar despite the fuss made about it (largely visually) at the time as the Far Cry comparisons are off putting given thatr franchise is incredibly samey and largely functionally alright at best. Hype seems to be strong for Star Wars: Outlaws as well but for me I'm still on the bench, largely expecting it to be a SW skinned Watch Dogs like experience.

AC is definitely their biggest IP and the open RPG's have done well for them but at the same time Ubisoft have these hits and still struggle with their finances. It'll vary company to company as Ubisoft also seem to throw the kitchen sink with their multiple attempts at live service games that keep coming unstuck as they attempt to recreate Siege's success.

Then there's their slew of other titles; Skull and Bones, Rainbow Six Extraction, Division Heartland, the money sunk into Beyond Good and Evil 2, bizarre they they'll really draw out a clear dud rather than make the choice to focus themselves.

Maybe it's a balance with gamers too I guess, a re-embracing of iterative sequels. I wonder how much of Bioshock Infinite's sales success has been eaten up be a decade working on a still absent sequel when really, surely just a fairly typical sequel ala Bioshock 2 would have been enough by now?

Comment

Comment

Yes we all noticed, the servers have been in absolute nuclear meltdown all weekend. Arrowhead are now resorting to a permanent que to get on.

Comment

It’s so wonderful to hear the popularity of the game. Although a bad problem, it’s a beautiful problem for the developer to have!

Hopefully they can nail the server issues soon though.

Comment

Victim of its own success at the moment, someone suggested they enlist Sony to help out with the server and technical issues, arrowhead reported they already have, however nothing will be a quick fix as they need to scale the servers out properly.
                          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 18-02-2024, 11:03.

Comment

Yep, presumably beyond thr technical aspects involved they won't want to ramp up servers to a level that soon becomes OTT to their needs when the dust settles. Must be hard working out what the normal levels they will need are when the figures keeps ballooning. Impressive that it is given how hard to get a game it is. Tried three times this weekend and figure it's best just to avoid Sat/Sun for the time being as it wastes too much time. I tried soloing but the game is at its worst like that so best to focus on other titles during peak times.

Comment

Saw this reported on the Verge. $10bn wiped off Sony stocks due to the forecast in hardware sales being revised and big questions over their small profit margins on software.

The PS5 slim is on sale pretty much everywhere right now since the financial reporting. No need to question why...

It also appears Helldivers 2 has about a 2:1 or 3:1 split in user base in favour of PC. You'd have to assume that Sony will now look to go hard on the PC space in this financial year, bringing key titles across to the wider audience and potentially also looking at more day and date releases.

Comment

To be expected of the stock market, their doing just fine, shrugs.

Comment

Working...
                                X