Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you manage to fix this and get Gecko etc. working again?

I only ask because I haven't updated my firmware in over a year (and just use Gecko to play everything, which works brilliantly), but I wouldn't mind being able to access the store again (I need to update the firmware to access it again, apparently). Unless there's another way of enabling access to the store without updating the firmware? I've looked but I can't find a definitive answer.

Comment

I added the HBC and Gecko/what have you to my PAL Wii a few months ago and still have firmware 3.2 or something on there. I only really use it to play the JPN Tatsunoko but I have the PAL version of NSMB on its way. Does anyone know if I'll need to do anything to it/update anything or can I just boot it through Gecko? Should I let the update on the NSMB disk run?

Comment

Gecko should stop it running if there's anything on it. I think.
        If you don't use the online shops and stuff, then there's no reason for you to update.

Comment

Cool beenz. Cheers, man.
          I don't use any of the online functions of the Wii so hopefully I'll be okay. I was just worried that if I had to update from the disk it'd brick my machine/lose my region free options.
          I'm just a bit of a nub when it comes to all of this technical stuff.

Comment

As long as you load the game through Gecko you'll be fine. Gecko automatically finds the updated files on the disc that the game needs to run, but without installing them. That said, make sure you're on the latest version of Gecko just to make sure.

But in reference to the post above and mine a few posts back, is there any way to access the online store without a firmware update? I haven't been on there for over a year now and wouldn't mind a look around.

Comment

Yes, if you go over on the wiibrew site you should be able to find some tools that allows you to update the wiishop to version v18, but leaving the system menu untouched.

Comment

I brought a PAL black wii, all I want to do is turn it into a permanent US wii (I have another US Wii with HBC etc) how do I do this?

Thanks lads.

Comment

I think you need AnyRegion Changer but read up first.
                  Last edited by charlesr; 25-11-2009, 16:56.

Comment

Yeah, but I cant seem to get it to work?

Is there any guides anyone can point me to?

Thanks

Comment

My understanding (which could be wrong) : It doesn't work on newer firmwares. If you can restore your machine to 3.2 then it will work.

Comment

look for CompleteSoftmodGuide
                        Last edited by KIT786; 25-11-2009, 21:45.

Comment

Just installed the HBC and Gecko last night. One thing tho, I was playing my sisters PAL version of Wii Fit last night and when i tried to leave the game by pressing home, the system hanged and didn't respond. I had to manually take the power out and repower my Wii back on. Happened evry time i tried it.

Also if i have left the SD card in the slot it boots to a different front end with 4 options across the screen which i can't select any of so in effect it hangs again as the controller is unresponsive. So i have repower the unit again with the SD ejected.

Anyone had this or know of a way around having to eject the SD or manually repowering the system everytime i want to change my games in the DVD.

Do i press something else to exit a game i am playing via Gecko??

I have an NTSC Wii on 4.2 firmware btw

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by NemesiS View Post
                            Also if i have left the SD card in the slot it boots to a different front end with 4 options across the screen which i can't select any of so in effect it hangs again as the controller is unresponsive. So i have repower the unit again with the SD ejected.
                            Sounds like BootMii. You can edit a text file on the SD card so that it automatically loads either the HBC or the System Menu. Look up BootMii on WiiBrew.

It is controlled by GameCube controllers and you can't use the Wii Remote.

Comment

The hanging when trying to go back to Home is normal with Gecko.

You have Bootmii installed either rename the folder on SD card or start the HBC from here (use buttons on Wii console or a GC controller to navigate).

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
                                Sounds like BootMii. You can edit a text file on the SD card so that it automatically loads either the HBC or the System Menu. Look up BootMii on WiiBrew.

It is controlled by GameCube controllers and you can't use the Wii Remote.
                                Originally posted by smouty View Post
                                The hanging when trying to go back to Home is normal with Gecko.

You have Bootmii installed either rename the folder on SD card or start the HBC from here (use buttons on Wii console or a GC controller to navigate).
                                Thanks both of you. I will get onto it when i get home.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X