Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, I've got Monster Hunter coming on Friday and I'll be looking to play online. Currently I've got just the homebrew channel installed with gekko and the wii is on system update 3.2 I think. Presumably Monster Hunter is going to ask me to update the console, so is there an easy way to keep all the homebrew stuff and use the update?

Comment

Does it need an update? All the stuff it needs is probably already installed.

Comment

If you use Gecko, it should bypass the install. If not, it will ask you on screen and then you'll have to check if MH works with your version of gecko and it gets a bit complex and beyond me.

Comment

Cheers for the responses. I'm just guessing it'll ask me to update, as apart from a couple of imports the wii hasn't played a PAL game in about 6 months. I figured if I wanted to play online I'd need to be fully up to date with the system stuff.

So is it just best not to update then? Reading up as far as I can tell if I install the 4.2 update it'll remove all the homebrew stuff. Is this the case with the latest version of the homebrew channel?

I'll just try running it through gekko if that by-passes the update (if there is one on the disc) and take it from there I suppose. Just don't want to lose the hombrew stuff as most of my wii games are imports now!

Comment

I've got my wii softmodded. 4.2. Is it safe to update from that, reason being is that the wii store is asking me to update and i need to download the wii speak channel.

Comment

Jurassic - You could try the Safe Updater app. I decided to reset my Wii for 4.2 then install the HBC using the much easier Bannerbomb on an SD card - Simples.
              I thought you only got system updates on 1st party titles?

If most of your games are now imports you could also convert the Wii to that region and use Gecko for the few non-import games . Maybe a prob if your games are JAP I guess.
              Last edited by smouty; 22-04-2010, 12:00.

Comment

Cheers smouty, I'll look into the Safe Updater app. There might not be an update on the disc, just wanted to know what the best plan of action was if I come across a game that is asking me to update.

Comment

There is an update on the disc, what it does i don't know. I even used the Safe Updater Smouty posted and i still get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero9X View Post
                    There is an update on the disc, what it does i don't know. I even used the Safe Updater Smouty posted and i still get it.
                    Gah, have you been able to run it through Gekko mate?

Comment

Yeah, i have preloader installed. Which allows me to disable updates on the disc and let me play the game.

Comment

Cool cheers for the info.

Comment

Didn't ask me for an update, strange.

Comment

What firmware do you have ezee?

Comment

Firmware version is 4.2E.

Comment

Thanks. Looks like my soft-modded Wii is running 4.1J ...I hope that works.

Comment

Working...
                                X