Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I gave it a go without the SD card and it just bypasses BootMii, but everything else seems to work OK.

I was staring at the BootMii screen for ages trying to work out how to get past it before I set it to load the Wii menu on five seconds! I've got the newest BootMii and it doesn't work with the Wii Controller, though there's barely any options, it doesn't seem that necessary!

Now I'm messing with all sorts of things. I'd be worried about bricking my Wii if it wasn't effectively a brick beforehand anyway.

Comment

It doesn't work with the Wii Remote because it cannot connect with Bluetooth devices. They would need to create their own driver for it, which is unlikely. You change selection with the power button, and select with the reset button. Or you can use a GameCube controller.

The main advantage is that it removes reliance on the system menu, so people can update their system menu version if they absolutely need to. It's still better to just update IOS versions than the entire system menu, but it's at least an option.

Comment

I've got an NTSC-U Wii with latest Homebrew Channel. I've set the system menu to Europe with AnyRegion Changer, but left the Game Region on USA as most of my games are NTSC-U.

However I have a PAL Wii Fit. I can get it to run with Gecko OS, but it's a hassle to go in there and click every time I want to start the game, and the kids find it weird. I thought I'd install Starfall and turn on the Region Free Wii games setting, but when I try to boot the Wii Fit, the screen turns black and the Wii hangs.

So what have I done wrong? Is Starfall's multi-region broken? Is there any way I can get both NTSC and PAL games to boot "normally"?

Comment

Originally posted by topper View Post
          I've got an NTSC-U Wii with latest Homebrew Channel. I've set the system menu to Europe with AnyRegion Changer, but left the Game Region on USA as most of my games are NTSC-U.
          This is quite risky as you can brick your Wii like this.

Starfall is not really that compatible. The best way I have found is to use a USB powered HDD and install USB loader as a channel.

Comment

I don't think it's risky - apparently "Setting the AREA setting ("Console Area Setting") to a different region than your System Menu WILL cause a Semi-Brick"

But I have the AREA and System Menu set to Europe. Just the GAME menu is set to USA. That shouldn't be risky as far as I know.

I'm not going down the USB route - too much hassle - so I'm assuming that the Starfall patch is crap and I should wait and see if Menu Patcher ever gets region-free functionality?
            Last edited by topper; 18-06-2009, 21:11. Reason: Menu /Patcher/ not Menu Loader

Comment

Starfall hasn't been updated for a long, long time, and it's region-free coding is outdated. It also lacks the compatiblity with newer IOS versions tha Gecko has.

Comment

Running a PAL Wii with 3.4E and Gekko for my Jap games. I bought a UK Another Code today which wants to update the system menu. If I do this will it mess up my import playing abilities?

Sorry to ask such a basic question but in pretty sure I mentioned previously that i'm rubbish at this stuff!!

Comment

I expect it would over-write or delete all the homebrew stuff. What you want to do is install Preloader and use the hacks to disable update checks.

Comment

You should install BootMii these days instead of Preloader, but the principle is the same, you should be able to update the system menu safely.

That said, have you tried running the game using the newest GeckoOS? That shoul be able to boot it without updating, by using the IOS files straight from the disc.

Comment

I went from 3.4U to 4.0U using the official firmware, and my homebrew channel stopped working. Then I just deleted it and reinstalled it and it was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                        You should install BootMii these days instead of Preloader, but the principle is the same, you should be able to update the system menu safely.
                        Does BootMii also block updates? I've got both installed...

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                          I went from 3.4U to 4.0U using the official firmware, and my homebrew channel stopped working. Then I just deleted it and reinstalled it and it was fine.
                          This post is a candidate for My Life is Average

Comment

It was the highlight of my day

Comment

Is there a safe way to legitimately purchase items from the JPN Wii Shop? I've got a US system and am interested in a couple of things from that shop, but I heard shop regions are locked up.

I'd prefer not to use any permanent methods like AnyRegionChanger, though feel free to try and change my mind.
                              Last edited by egparadigm; 15-07-2009, 18:50.

Comment

Desperately need some help here and i hope this is in the right place..i have installed the homebrew channel on a PAL Wii Firmware 3.3 useing the TWILIGHT hack but know im stuck as i dont have a clue what to do next..been getting some help of Charlesr and smouty via PMs(Thanks Guys)but im not the best at these kind of things but this seemed very straight forward to me at the start so thought id give it a go..anyways HBC is there and boots fine but dosent do anything else so what am i doing wrong and what files do i need to be on the SD card to get this all sorted..Am i best updating to the latest firmware(is it 4.0) and use Bannerbomb as that may be an easier rout.

Anyways need some help ASAP this is driving me nuts lol..

Daz.

Comment

Working...
                                X