No announcement yet.

ps3 HD upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had no updating issues when I did it. Literally swapped drives and went from there.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

The firmware is flashing the bios and system its independant of the HDD once its flashed thats it you should only need to format the new drive not reinstall a firmware. Only time this alters is if you try to swap data from a different territory for example if you have like me 100gigs worth of PS3 stash stored on a JPN ps3 and you then shove that into a USA PS3 it cant read it unless its reformatted. All I can think of the reason why its asking you to firmware update again after a reformat is a corruption. Firmware updates arent mandatory anyway you just get cutoff from sony service till you let it update.

Ive swapped 3 drives over on new USA model and reformatted all 3 (as was testing if the JPN model had a faulty HDD) and never once had to shove a firmware disc back in as that should be stored on its bios chip.

Comment

I was just searching to see what I could expect to get back for the 60GB disk in the drive, and...

Apparently this enables full B/C!

Just ordered that 320GB from Play. What have you guys done with the old? I think I'll just backup, format then throw it on eBay.

Comment

Can I instal the firmware using an ipod nano on a 20gb JP ps3? dont believe that version has a card reader. What other options do I have if I want to instal a bigger hd?

Comment

The firmware is separate to the HDD (You'll just be backing up saves/PSN games/DLC and other such stuff), but you should be able to use the Nano no problem to backup to/restore from.

Comment

Originally posted by baad bwoy View Post
              Can I instal the firmware using an ipod nano on a 20gb JP ps3? dont believe that version has a card reader. What other options do I have if I want to instal a bigger hd?
              That'll work fine mate. Just make sure your nano has enough space on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                Just ordered that 320GB from Play.
                I ordered that HDD after I'd posted this and it's just turned up at home. Have Play.com improved with their shipping recently, they were really quite unreliable last time I used them.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                  What have you guys done with the old? I think I'll just backup, format then throw it on eBay.
                  Mine's just used as external storage as I got a free caddy when I bought my 160GB drive. Comes in handy when I want to take video files over to a mates.

Comment

can I use my 60gb hard drive for PS2 Hard drive or increase Sky+ capacity when I get a new hard drive for PS3 eventually. Just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by FullSpecWarrior View Post
                      That'll work fine mate. Just make sure your nano has enough space on it.
                      cheers dude, just need to locate an hd

Comment

Took about an hour to back up and the same again to restore, but largely a pain free process.

Whichever idiot at manufacturing decided that the screws holding the HDD at the front of the caddy needed to be so damn tight needs shooting though.

Comment

Originally posted by Legendary View Post
                          can I use my 60gb hard drive for PS2 Hard drive
                          No, as the PS2 uses 3.5" IDE and the PS3 drive is 2.5" SATA.

Comment

I had the same update issue as others on here.

What i did was

backed up using an external drive
                            then created a folder on the drive called UPDATE
                            downloaded the ps3 update file and stuck that on the external drive in the UPDATE folder
                            removed old and inserted new drive
                            made sure my external drive was plugged in
                            then when it asked me to provide a source with the update on it reads it from the external drive.
                            then it formatted my internal one
                            than ran a restore from the PS3 menu

worked a treat for me

Comment

The price for that HDD that most of you have purchased from play.com has gone up to £77.99

Luckily i found a reputable seller on ebay selling it for £56.48 including delivery. So if anyone is still after one, you can get one below he has plenty.

How does the backup facility work on the ps3? I suppose i just plug in a device and select where i want to save the backup, so i could use my apple touch for it?
                              Last edited by SuperBeatBoy; 22-09-2008, 14:00.

Comment

Yup, any memory card will work, too. I've used a card reader connected to the USB port and a 2gb Compact Flash i normally use for my camera. Since the PS3 was almost virgin when I've backed up it was a matter of seconds and just 23 Mbs. Restored data was a little less than 50Mbs.
                                BTW, that's the same HDD I used.

Comment

Working...
                                X