No announcement yet.

ps3 HD upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The extra cache does make a difference. Someone on GAF ran some timing experiments shortly after the PS3 launch and it leads to quicker loading times IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by John Parry View Post
      Has anybody upgraded to a hdd with either 16MB of cache or one that runs at 7800rpm here?
      Yes, my drive is both - 16MB and 7200RPM. I binned the OEM drive almost as soon as I got my PS3 so its been in there all this time with no issues.

Comment

Cheers, I got a larger hdd almost straight away but as I have loads of music and PlayTV stuff on there I thinking about doing it again to 500Gig maybe.

I really like the fact that it's so easy to do any that you can just use a standard laptop drive to upgrade. Are they still putting the instructions in the booklet on how to upgrade it?

Kubrick, an internal drive? Notice much of a difference?

Comment

Yep, this one. It was just about the biggest one available at the time.

The speed difference was massive since my machine is a 20GB model (standard 20GB only has a 2MB cache).

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick View Post
            Yep, this one. It was just about the biggest one available at the time.

The speed difference was massive since my machine is a 20GB model (standard 20GB only has a 2MB cache).
            You've got me thinking about doing this now. The only restriction at the moment is the capacity really as I have a 250GB (232Gb) and was hoping to double but 320GBs seems to be as high as it goes at the moment. That model isn't being released until this month either so a 500GB model is a loooong way off.

Do you notice what fan ratio the PS3 uses when playing games as I don't really want to have to put up with it roaring away in gear 3 or 4 because of the extra heat?

Comment

MY JPN model got a 160gig 7200rpm 16mb cache model fitted soon as golf 5 came out in JPN. I instantly noticed massive difference in loading times and Gaiden hardly even loaded inbetween scenes. Their shouldnt be an issue with heat with em mine worked fine right up until the lens bust on the br drive but since shoving a new one in it works fine in main room for parents using it as a BR player. I noticed when I got my USA model (kept the 80gig standard in it) that the ripping time of MGS4 on instalation is around 2mins slower with a standdard 5200rpm 8mb cache drive! I aint bothering swapping drives though as their incompatible per region so you need to reformat em and I dont fancy having to spend over 24hours downloading off the store again!

Comment

Does anybody know if you can access music for custom soundtracks on an external hdd? I know that you can play music directly from a hdd but I'm not sure if games will allow you to access an external drive.

Comment

Seems like as good a place to ask.

In all likelihood I'll be upgrading the HDD in my console tommorrow but I need to backup the current contents beforehand. I have an external HDD on my PC which has more than enough free space but also has a load of files already on it already.

Can I still use this for the PS3 backup or do I need a blank storage device?

Comment

So will I notice a huge difference in installing and loading between 8mb and 16mb cache?
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Help!

Got my new HDD this morning but want to run system backup to an external USB HDD first as there's too much on there that I don't want to lose now. However, I've hooked up 2 different USB HDD and neither is being detected by the PS3. Am I missing something?

Comment

You need to make sure that they're formatted to FAT32. Windows won't do drives over a certain size, so you'll need an OS that will allow it (Linux or something similar) or you could use this, which did the trick fine for me.

Comment

Yeah it was the FAT32 thing. Took me a fair few hours but I had to backup everything off the external HDD, reformat it, perform the PS3 backup, fit new HDD (****ing screws) and restore the backup but all seems good now.

I'm sure the extra space will last me a month or so.

Comment

is it true there is a 120 gig ps3 coming out soon? any idea if it will have ps2 backwards ect and usb slots mem slots?

Comment

160GB for £400. Same hardware as 40/80GB. Best off buying a 40/80 and upgrading yourself to 320GB, which'd work out cheaper.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
                                is it true there is a 120 gig ps3 coming out soon? any idea if it will have ps2 backwards ect and usb slots mem slots?
                                ?339, same as a 40GB but with a 160GB drive, and a bit of store content already installed.

Comment

Working...
                                X