No announcement yet.

PSYVARIAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marky still has top score on your machine Saur?, that must really eat you up inside.

How easy is it to get a hold of the Special Ed with the DVD these days?

Comment

4-C Colony - SOR _ 7637buzz _ 92destruction _ LV170

Read it and WEEP!!111 *MWAA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!11*

Comment

I thought I would pop in here to see the level I need to get to (only got the game today). I think I will be away for a while as 400 is about my highest.

Great game though, does everyone use arcade sticks?

Comment

Originally posted by lordcookie
          I thought I would pop in here to see the level I need to get to (only got the game today). I think I will be away for a while as 400 is about my highest.

Great game though, does everyone use arcade sticks?
          I use a very loose PS2 controller, I didnt have a PS2 arcade stick for a while and ended up getting used to playing it with a pad. I will switch over to stick when I have enough cash to buy the Soul Calibur 2 one.

When you are training up on this game dont go for Destruction Rate. Psyvariar is the total opposite to most shoot em ups in that BUZZ is the whole point of the game, concentrate on getting a good BUZZ before anything. When you have worked out a good routine for a stage and can get a good BUZZ, start to slowly work destruction rate into it - you need to work it out so that you destroy enemies only after you have rinsed them for BUZZ. Stage 1 - Earth is actually one of the hardest stages to get a good destruction rate with the BUZZ so dont rush into trying to get it, just concentrate on BUZZ (aim for above 1000 each time LVL27 is the average)

Depending on your level you will or will not be able to select the 3rd stage. If you are above LVL64 you have no choice but to do XA, it's a scary stage at first because the rate the Level Bar increases during BUZZ is VERY slow! This is the case with all X stages so you will need to adjust your play style to a more offensive type. Usually if you do Earth then Valley you should be on Level 70 by XA, if you do Earth then Volcano you will be on around Level 90 by XA (go for the Volcano route once you get good!)

Bosses are also purely for BUZZ - do not attack them unless it's to adjust your level bar. Boss fights are advanced lessons on timing the level bar and maximising BUZZ - there's months of gameplay in each one.

Comment

Thanks Saur,

I played the game for about an hour until I realised the destruction rate was really secondary to the buzz system. It is still difficult to get out of the mentality of destroying the bosses as quickly as possible, but it is certainly a refreshing change.

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
              Boss fights are advanced lessons on timing the level bar and maximising BUZZ - there's months of gameplay in each one.
              Too true. Have been playing X-A Photon solidly for the last week. No where near to perfecting the end of level Boss. I know what to do, but there is a big difference between knowing and doing.

Comment

I've had the game for ages & I still don't play Photon; my choice levels are Eart, Forest or Valley & Asteroid.

I get wiped out too quickly on Photon

Comment

Heavy! //^_\\\

I've been on Photon all week aswell - I can 1 life it with over 10000 BUZZ consistantly but it's still not good enough >_< I need to get over 11000 to beat that BORG Marky!!!11

I'm working backwards on Psyvariar - I've got Colony down, Cloudbank rinsed and now I've almost got Photon.

There is a beautiful method of getting destruction as well as buzz on this stage and the boss is just beautiful! Manage 86 Destruction on this stage but my BUZZ is lower than Mark's due to the way he rinses the boss >_< The timing of the level bar is so damn hard, I can only get it right sometimes (it all comes down to getting the first orbiting section right)

Last night I proper got the hang of BUZZ rate control to keep the bar in the right place, you need to refrain from spinning during the 4th shot sequence on XA for example (to line the bar up for the 5th)

Comment

I decided to watch the bonus DVD yesterday to try and get some pointers. . At first I couldn't work out how the hell they were dodging some of the patterns, but then it began to make sense. Unfortunately I am still crap at it. the ship in the video seems to move much quicker, or is that my imagination? Also how often do people use the roll, do you use it most of the time, or only on a few of bullet sequences? There seems to be loads of ways to play this game, but I want to try and get the best out of it.

Comment

I decided to watch the bonus DVD yesterday to try and get some pointers. . At first I couldn't work out how the hell they were dodging some of the patterns, but then it began to make sense. Unfortunately I am still crap at it. the ship in the video seems to move much quicker, or is that my imagination? Also how often do people use the roll, do you use it most of the time, or only on a few of bullet sequences? There seems to be loads of ways to play this game, but I want to try and get the best out of it.
                      Theres a button that if you hold down, you will roll, and you need to do this to get more buzz. If you fairly rapidly tap this button your ship can move round the screen faster, so when you see on the DVD ISO moving faster, I guess this is what hes doing.

Theres another method of getting your ship to roll, which is the `shaky stick` method, where you rapidly shake the stick while you move round the screen (this is what ISO does on the DVD). This is pretty hard to get the hang of, so I just stick to the button method (and I always keep that obne pressed down, so I`m always rolling).

Comment

Originally posted by Tokuda
                        so I just stick to the button method (and I always keep that obne pressed down, so I`m always rolling).
                        Me too. I only use the quick tap when i need to move around the screen quickly. I try to keep the R1 button pressed whenever i'm buzzing.

Comment

Thanks Allan,

I dont think I will be trying the shaky stick method. I can see it getting me in to more trouble, but I will try tapping the roll button.

Comment

I dont think I will be trying the shaky stick method. I can see it getting me in to more trouble, but I will try tapping the roll button.
                            I tried the "shaky stick" method. I was all over the place, wasn't really in control of the ship at all. It is very difficult, especially on a d-pad.

Comment

Sorry to keep hijacking this thread, but now I have swapped my PS2 over to my gaming TV I have now had a bit of time to start playing th game properly.
                              On zero space I am really struggling with the boss. My buzz rating is like 1200-1500 (not fantastic, but not too bad), but I always get caught out by the homing missiles. I dont want to have to use a bomb on them, is there any way of avoiding them?

Cheers

Comment

Sorry to keep hijacking this thread, but now I have swapped my PS2 over to my gaming TV I have now had a bit of time to start playing th game properly.
                                On zero space I am really struggling with the boss. My buzz rating is like 1200-1500 (not fantastic, but not too bad), but I always get caught out by the homing missiles. I dont want to have to use a bomb on them, is there any way of avoiding them?

Cheers
                                The homing missiles are no problem - stick the the centre of the screen about halfway up, when they fire go downwards a touch and fire (they can be destroyed)

The trick you NEED to get going on this boss is moving through it when it fires the quick pulse of orange and pink shots in all directions twice. Your level bar needs to be set up so you level up through the boss at the moment it fires. Quickly position the ship in the DEAD CENTRE of the boss to BUZZ every shot fired (if you dont catch it dead center you cant repeat it for the second shot)

The other hard bit is the final stream of blue orbs it fires - you barely have to move. My tactic is to hang at the bottom of the screen (just right of center), totally unfocus your eyes and twitch the ship to avoid the shots just as they are about to hit you (they space out at the bottom of the screen)

You should be able to get around 6000BUZZ off this boss

Comment

Working...
                                X