Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moot's right, i've not been past level 15 because the game is chore and even with the auto-attack funtion its still no different to how it was at launch beyond new content. Unless you know some one who will let you leech levels in party, it is a total suckfest once the exp slows down past 10 on the the way to the mythical wonderland that is lvl20 an beyond, i know this may sound hypocritical nonsense after leveling the same advice at rare for ff11, to just level whatever, but i find the difference to be that ff11 is a 10 year old game i mostly know inside out and not a new game where i get to feel useless at all levels. The lack of a proper LFG system is beyond ****ing stupid, no matter how tight the LS group might be, more often than not you'll be on your own and how often, honestly have you partied with random folk in the last 2 months?

Comment

I think it just takes some adjustment, like you say your comparing everything about it with FFXI and they are quite different, I do agree with things like party search being rubbish but things like that should get sorted.

I find Ul'dah quite a lively place in the game, often shouts for grind parties, did one the other night which was good.

But really the game is like any mmo, early on its basic stuff that seems quite boring if you have played a few mmo's before, later on though there are things to do, we've been getting into NM's lately, theres lots of them and some good gear to get, dengeons are the best part and definetely gives that FFXI feel of challenge, I guess its abit better for those that made quite abit of progress earlier on as we were able to jump right in after the updates and start getting stuck into the new content.

We could probably plan an evening for those that want to catch up abit, do a full set of leves mixed with Behest and some grinding and we'd probably be very close to having everyone ready for Toto Rak dungeon, i'd be ok starting a new job to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
        moot's right, i've not been past level 15 because the game is chore and even with the auto-attack funtion its still no different to how it was at launch beyond new content. Unless you know some one who will let you leech levels in party, it is a total suckfest once the exp slows down past 10 on the the way to the mythical wonderland that is lvl20 an beyond, i know this may sound hypocritical nonsense after leveling the same advice at rare for ff11, to just level whatever, but i find the difference to be that ff11 is a 10 year old game i mostly know inside out and not a new game where i get to feel useless at all levels. The lack of a proper LFG system is beyond ****ing stupid, no matter how tight the LS group might be, more often than not you'll be on your own and how often, honestly have you partied with random folk in the last 2 months?
        I'll be honest I don't think I've done anything with randoms in the entire time I've played XIV. But then again my last few months in XI was exactly the same. I either soloed or did things with Moot, Rep and Xzeikx. I don't get the complaints about the party search as I'm wondering what your party searching for. One of the most vivid complaints about XI from the early days was "why do I need to be in a party to EXP?" XIV is the complete opposite.

I don't grind EXP/SP in this. I just do my leves, behest,side quests etc. and I'm already concerned that I'm leveling my main DoW class (PGL) too quickly as my crafts are struggling to keep up to provide repairs and new gear without spending too much gil (not that gil is a problem in this game). I'll hit R39 today for sure.

To be honest, it just sounds like you don't want to transition to new MMORPG. You're pretty well-embedded in the "end game" world in XI and I imagine it could be a pretty big culture shock to have to"start over". Look at people who have taken to XIV more readily Myslf, Wedge, Moot and Rep. I'd say those players were nowhere near as active in XI's endgame as yourself, Dj etc. (probably Rep dabbled the most).

For myself, it got to the point where I felt I had fallen too far behind the curve in XI and it felt impossible to catch up. XIV felt like a fresh opportunity to enjoy an MMO again. You don't need that.

The game is never going to be FFXI HD and whilst big changes are still likely, I do think the fundamentals of the game are going to remain. If it doesn't click with you there's no point pushing it if you don't enjoy it.

But just as an example of our different positions in XI can reflect our outlook, I found this comment the most telling:

Unless you know some one who will let you leech levels in party, it is a total suckfest once the exp slows down
        Is this XI or XIV we're talking about? To level a new job in XI now you either get lucky and an Abyssea party lets you leech or your (slowly) solo grind. I had to give up on WAR by 45 as I simply couldn't hack soloing any more.

Anyway, this isn't intended to be an attack on XI. I enjoyed the game immensely over the years (probably more so prior to 2007).

I was intending to level CON after PGL but am willing to bring this forward if people do want to try low level EXP party. I honestly don't think it would be much quicker than the leve/behest/quest cycle though. The game just isn't designed that way.

i know this may sound hypocritical nonsense after leveling the same advice at rare for ff11, to just level whatever
        Well I had noticed, but didn't want to say...

Comment

Please excuse my "I haven't played for 10 months ignorance". With regards to doing stuff with other LS members (Leves, Behest, Exping etc), I assume we are still looking at a +/- 2-3 job levels to make sure everyone is getting Exp etc? With this in mind my THM is at 16 and CON at 9 - I would very much like to spend some time doing LS stuff in the coming weeks (and beyond) but not really sure what the options are right now (other than plenty of catching up solo).

Comment

Originally posted by talizker View Post
            Please excuse my "I haven't played for 10 months ignorance". With regards to doing stuff with other LS members (Leves, Behest, Exping etc), I assume we are still looking at a +/- 2-3 job levels to make sure everyone is getting Exp etc? With this in mind my THM is at 16 and CON at 9 - I would very much like to spend some time doing LS stuff in the coming weeks (and beyond) but not really sure what the options are right now (other than plenty of catching up solo).
            We could easily get something going, I have two characters with a mix of job levels, one character is R40 Archer but I would like some other melee jobs on it, my other is a mage, R30 CON but also about R14 Thm, plus early going it takes a short time to get to about R15, would be fairly easy to get us all at a balanced level.

Comment

I've spoken with Tal and Wedge today and since some people seem to have some interest in playing but don't know what to do. So what i want to try and do is get a static group of people who will be willing to log on every other day to do leve link quests or just do some grinding. I think the plan would be to meet at lvl15 or so and can start from there.

So if you're interested say on here and a time that would be good for you, for me 8:30pm on wards would be best til about 10:30 but that should be enough time for doing levequests.

Comment

I'm up for meeting whenever you guys are tonight. My archer is R15 so I'm definitely up for arranging a static with you all.

Comment

I'd really be up for this, but I have a driving test to prepare for on the 22nd.

Is there a system in place with this game where everyone else in the party has their level capped to around the lowest member's?

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                    I'd really be up for this, but I have a driving test to prepare for on the 22nd.

Is there a system in place with this game where everyone else in the party has their level capped to around the lowest member's?
                    Nope nothing like that in this, but as long as were around 5 lvls of each other it should be ok, anyone trailing behind can always solo a bit to catch up.

Comment

I will be trying to play at least 3 times a week and although can't definitively give times too much in advance, will be looking to do the static group thing as a priority when online. Looking forward to hooking up with the LS again!

Comment

Just been reading all the past patch notes on Lodestone. Sounds like there have been a bunch of great changes in the last 6 months. Looking forward to playing again even more now

Comment

Looks like we'll have 6 or so people so far that are up for the static, not heard from Rare or Rep yet though, not sure if they want to do it or not.

Just read the letter from the producer notes, lots of good stuff involved but "Alongside the overhaul to the algorithms, work is also proceeding on redefining and redistributing abilities for Disciples of War and Magic. This is a hefty amount of work, and not all classes will be ready by patch 1.19." stood out to me, I'm guessing that they will be taking away nukes from Conjurer and giving them to THM. But looks like it's going to be a while until the patch is out

Edit: Although if they took nukes from CON they would have no chance of being able to solo so not sure
                          Last edited by Moot; 15-08-2011, 14:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Moot View Post
                            Edit: Although if they took nukes from CON they would have no chance of being able to solo so not sure
                            No biggy, they'll likely give CON some combat hammers etc like in XI. As It currently stands I have about 2 points left over to set spells and abilities, with only two nukes set. I could easily replace those with more support type stuff.

Way too busy at the minute to be messing about on XIV, the best I can do is look at a time/date and say yay or nay

Comment

Originally posted by Rep View Post
                              the best I can do is look at a time/date and say yay or nay
                              To be fair this is a similar to myself but want to make the effort to do some each week with the LS

Comment

Count me in - though I am lower level at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X