No announcement yet.

Fighter Overload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since when was Kyo ever in a Fatal Fury game?

I personally don't see the point in buying these old fighting games that nobody plays. Giving it a quick spin in MAME, dropping a coin into the machine every now and then is fair enough but nobody plays Real Bout, MOTW, KOF1945 etc. You're never going to get good playing the AI, there is no scene left for these games not even Japan so why bother?

KOF98 is the only exception I can think of and even that's pushing it.

Comment

Originally posted by geldra
      Dont know if you've seen but theres a guy on ebay selling neo candy 29s for about ?250 then probably another ?150 shipping on top.....
      That's more than ?100 more than I paid for MOTW... Did I mention I don't really have the room for one? I'd have to get an MV4F as well on top of that. And some MVS games.....

Comment

Originally posted by innovator

I personally don't see the point in buying these old fighting games that nobody plays. Giving it a quick spin in MAME, dropping a coin into the machine every now and then is fair enough but nobody plays Real Bout, MOTW, KOF1945 etc. You're never going to get good playing the AI, there is no scene left for these games not even Japan so why bother?

You're so wrong it's not even funny. Of course there's a scene in Japan, and in the US as well. I play MOTW, KOF '98 and Real Bout. It's fun and you sound like you're just being plain silly...

The only true thing in your post is that Kyo has never been in a Fatal Fury game...

Comment

Originally posted by Naiera

You're so wrong it's not even funny. Of course there's a scene in Japan, and in the US as well. I play MOTW, KOF '98 and Real Bout. It's fun and you sound like you're just being plain silly...

The only true thing in your post is that Kyo has never been in a Fatal Fury game...
          LOL! SNK games being played outside Asia? Get real.

Those old games don't get touched outside Osaka which isn't much use to anyone really.

Comment

I doubt there was much of a scene in the first place over here and I doubt that there will be a significant scene for any of the new 2D fighters either.

The reason people still play these games (and it is clear that people do from this thread). Is they are still great fun (as I am rapidly discovering). Spent many hours last weekend playing Last Blade with a mate and had an absolute ball.

What I'm trying to develop is a basic set of skills, which can be aplied to nearly all fighting games. Things like the dragon punch motion in either the forward or backwards direction are pretty universal, but I still can not get it out 100% every time. Sure all of the new games have extra tricks strategies and nuances which need to be mastered, but there is still a basic set of skills required to even play them at novice level and that's what I'm after.

If you're not convinced by my arguments then PM Saurian who still plays Killer Instinct Arcade PCB regularly.

Comment

LOL! SNK games being played outside Asia? Get real.
              Now you just sound like some sort of bitter fanboy, which doesn't really make sense. OF COURSE SNK games are played outside Asia.

Comment

OK, Kyo ain't in the FF games, but we were talking KoF...excuse my oversight.

And this thread has proved that these games still get played. I play KoF98 easily 5 nights a week. I'm just practicing for the day when I finally get someone to play against >_<

Comment

In fact completely flying in the face of innovators comments I feel that good shmups and to a larger degree fighters are one of the few genres of games which stand the test of time. Its still possible to wring enjoyment from SF2 despite its age.

The other benefit of "bothering" with an older fighter is that over here where the "scene" is pretty thin on the ground you are far more likely to bump into someone who has at least played KoF98 or SS2 than say someone who has played KoF2003 or SSZero.

Comment

"Sure all of the new games have extra tricks strategies and nuances which need to be mastered, but there is still a basic set of skills required to even play them at novice level and that's what I'm after."

If that's really what you're after then you should be playing SF2 and only SF2. It's the only fighter that will teach you to be patient, concentrate and stop you getting into bad habits.

"If you're not convinced by my arguments then PM Saurian who still plays Killer Instinct Arcade PCB regularly."

I don't think he's played it since he sold his Xbox. KI is a puzzle game anyway so that's an anomaly.

"Now you just sound like some sort of bitter fanboy, which doesn't really make sense. OF COURSE SNK games are played outside Asia."

You are deluded. Nobody plays SNK in the UK, in France everyone plays SC2 or SF3, America only touch Capcom/Namco games. That leaves only Asia and even there it's just the latest KOF that has a scene.

Comment

I don't think he's played it since he sold his Xbox. KI is a puzzle game anyway so that's an anomaly.
                      **** really. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that he has it on PCB.

I don't know much about the game, why do you class this as a puzzler?

I'm also sure that at some point in time I will be getting an SF2 board, just for old times sake.

Comment

No, I don't like speaking for him but it's just something he will emulate every now and then for old time's sake.

It's a puzzler as it's useless in 2 player. The only thing you can do in that game is try to come up with the stupidest combos ever.

Just get Hyper SF2, it has all you need to get good at the genre.

Comment

Yeah man I haveKiller Instinct on PCB

I dont play it when manz are round cos it's complete **** in 2 player and it's long to set up and I'm sure manz have got better things to do than watch that game system being shredded!

I get fun out of that game by making really stupid things happen - it's the most broken beat em up ever and that's what makes it my favourite puzzle game! It's not about fighting at all, it's all about seeing how much you can screw it up.

Comment

Cool thanks for the advice, good job SF2 boards are cheap as chips on Ebay.

I'm moving house in a couple of weeks, so I might have to wait a bit as it means wiring up the extra buttons on my supergun. I think the GF would be mortified if I got the soldering iron out at this stage

Comment

Geldra,

ROTD has problems with some of the one slot motherboards.

On my MV1-FZ board the game reset before the attract screen had even started, rendering the game unplayable.

A simple bit of soldering and removing a resistor on one of the game boards almost completely solved this. It still resets but it's very occasional now.

I believe it was a problem during manufacture as SSV and KOF03 work fine.

The new kit was massively discounted in part to reflect this.

Works fine on multislot MVS boards without any fix needed however.

Oh, and innovator, I regularly play SNK games simply because they still feel fresh, even compared to newer 3d fighters.

Comment

You are deluded. Nobody plays SNK in the UK, in France everyone plays SC2 or SF3, America only touch Capcom/Namco games. That leaves only Asia and even there it's just the latest KOF that has a scene.
                                Ohhh, that's why they press hundreds of english copies of KOF 2003 and Matrimelee, and several Japanese copies are shipped from the Neo Store as well.

YOU are the deluded one.

Comment

Working...
                                X