Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Naiera
    Originally posted by Madbury
    I could get my XBox chipped and then legally download and install the Roms for the arcade fighters I do have.
    Wouldn't be legal.
    OH NOS!!1

Buying Neo Geo games doesn't give Playmore a single yen (new releases exempted). Pirate that ****, it doesn't make a difference.

Definately give Kawacks a whirl Madbury, the netcode isn't the best but it's easy to use and a good laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by innovator
      Pirate that ****, it doesn't make a difference.
      It's ILLEGAL.

Some moderator should come in here and hand out a spanking to all the pirate f*ckers in this thread.

Comment

Ignoring the bickering in this thread...

**** didn't realise there was lag when playing over live. I assumed that the tiny amount of data required would result in Lag free brawling.
        For a lot of types of games, a bit of delay between your controller input and the packets being received at the server is not too much of an issue. Clever coding can allow approximations or corrections to be made as necessary. Fighters are, however, very sensitive to delay.

I'll quote myself from another thread:

Originally posted by Soi
        Long distance bouts of online fighting games will never be good, regardless of connection bandwidth. The time it physically takes for signals to travel along wires is just not quick enough, and cannot be improved.
        Any game that requires very precisely timed inputs (i.e. any decent fighting game) will always need very low levels of latency. Some VF4 Evo moves require an input for a single frame (i.e. 1/60 sec or 16.7 ms). Therefore, if you connection has a delay of over this (which isn't that much) Evo will not be the same game. That is not to say that Evo wouldn't be fun, just different.

Comment

The only SCENE left for 2D fighters is Kawaks. If that's ILLEGAL then so be it.

Comment

I could get my XBox chipped and then legally download and install the Roms for the arcade fighters I do have.
            Wouldn't be legal.
            Really? I thought that if you owned an original you were entitled to make backups. I mean I could spend ages working out how to dump the roms on my boards to PC. I don't see how this is illegal. I'm not sending them anywhere or making copies. It is only for my own personal use.

On all of the ROM sites I've ever seen it has always said that you can only download the roms if you have the original boards?!?!

Comment

You're only supposed to use the backups when they're needed. As in, when the originals stop working.

Comment

I heard that if you own the original, you're okay. Any variation on the original though, and that's different. E.G you own JPN KoF98, and you get a rom of US K0F98.

But with BIOS's for consoles it's different. You own the machine, but not the right to it's software. So you can't do **** with it. Although this could be the case with software too....

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Boogaloo
                  I heard that if you own the original, you're okay. Any variation on the original though, and that's different. E.G you own JPN KoF98, and you get a rom of US K0F98.

But with BIOS's for consoles it's different. You own the machine, but not the right to it's software. So you can't do **** with it. Although this could be the case with software too....
                  OK I understand your first point, but my confusion lies with the bios. Basically what you are saying is that all emulators running neo roms are illegal regardless of whether the person owns the hardware and game or not, since the neo bios can not be duplicated under any circumstances.

tbh the legality of it all doesn't really bother me so much, what turns me off emulation is the feeling that it is just that "emulation". I know that the current batch of emus are supposed to be pixel perfect, but somehow they still feel weird when stacked up against the real deal. I'll give Kawaks a whirl, but I can't see it taking over from my MVS anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Boogaloo
                    I heard that if you own the original, you're okay.
                    You heard wrong.

Comment

Bah, who cares if it's illegal or not to use roms just dl'd the damn things and play 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Ex_mosquito
                        Bah, who cares if it's illegal or not to use roms just dl'd the damn things and play 8)
                        Word. Why deprive yourself.

Comment

You're right. I'll go find myself a nice car this afternoon.

Why buy? Just take.

Comment

You're right. I'll go find myself a nice car this afternoon.

Why buy? Just take.
                            What a moronic analogy. The car is a physical entity that you're directly stealing, a ROM is just a file that can be reproduced an infinite number of times without taping into the supply of originals.

Downloading roms does not take away from SNK Playmore just like you buying AES carts on ebay does not contribute to SNK Playmore in any way. You're a petty little man so I don't expect you to understand this.

Comment

Does that mean I don't have to buy train tickets any more? I mean, I'm not depriving anyone of anything? The train will still go to its destination whether I get on it or not?

Downloading ROMS of SNK games doesn't deprive Playmore of anything, but it does deprive retailers, distributors and other important bodies in the retail chain, even if it's just someone selling stuff on Ebay.

Not that I care what other people do and my train example is just mucking around, but the whole piracy/emulation issue is much more complex than simply saying it doesn't deprive the developers so its okay. If everyone downloaded old games for free, would anyone bother buying (or making) new games?

The UK law concerning whole back up thing is a bit grey. The law states that you are allowed to make back ups, but ELSPA have taken people to court who have taken back ups of games and used them in ways other than just keeping a back up in the cupboard 'just in case'.

It also raises another question: Are companies who bring in copy protection infinging the rights of the consumer to make a legitmate back up? So is the fact that GC games are so difficult to copy actually a breach of UK jurisdiction?

Comment

I dont see nothing wrong with dl'ing arcade roms, i mean how else are you supposed to play them in the uk, there's no arcades anymore. Roms and Emulators are a wonderful thing. How many people do you know heard of games like guwange, dragon blaze, dangun feveronetc.. before mame emu'd them. Also generatrions that missed the late 80's and 90's arcade games can see what made arcades so special.

Sure, dl'ing gc and ps2 games harms the industry but dl'ing classic arcade roms that dont make money anymore isnt gonna hurt nobody. SNK are not the only arcade developers you know. Get over it.

Comment

Working...
                                X