Fighter Overload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naiera.

I think what innovator is saying that there isnt a "scene" in the uk for MOTW, Matrimelee etc for competetive play, which is what fighters are all about. Sure, there are neo ownes dotted around europe and uk playing A.I now and again, but thats hardly classes it as a scene.

Sure, some of the more obscure neo fighters are nice to play, but i dont see the point in playing in 1player mode for hours on end building up your skills when there's noone in real-life to play.

If you want to play a 2D fighter competitively you want to start playing the streetfighters (A3, 3s and ST), there's always a challenge online (via kawaks) and now london have japanese VS city cabs the 2D fighting scene is getting good again

Comment

Originally posted by Naiera
      Originally posted by innovator

You are deluded. Nobody plays SNK in the UK, in France everyone plays SC2 or SF3, America only touch Capcom/Namco games. That leaves only Asia and even there it's just the latest KOF that has a scene.
      Ohhh, that's why they press hundreds of english copies of KOF 2003 and Matrimelee, and several Japanese copies are shipped from the Neo Store as well.

YOU are the deluded one.
      LMFAO you call that a scene? Ex_mosquito is spot on. If you really want to get better at fighters you play against humans not the typically lame AI. To do that you need to practice on Capcom fighters or GGXX not learning how to dragon punch on obscure SNK fighters.

Comment

There's a difference in there being a SCENE or if the games are being played by individuals. I noticed you mentioned the word "scene" in your first post, which is nice and all, but the rest of the post is just b*ll**** and personal opinion. It's fine that you don't see the point in buying these fighters. Don't, then. Just don't give us any crap about buying them because you feel like acting like an *sshole in this thread.

Oh yeah. OMFG ROFL LOL LMFAO yourself...

Comment

Hold up a mo,

lets not get into a slanging match here.

Its clear that some people don't have much love for SNK fighters. Personally I prefer them over the Capcom fighters I have played, but that is just a matter of personal preference.

Since there aren't any arcades within a country mile of where I live the chances of me ever getting into a scene (Unless it is on Live) are slim to none. However I do have a number of friends who are into their fighters and I'll be playing them now and again to build up my skills. I'll also try my hand against anyone who comes to an ntsc-uk meet.

So yeah at the moment I'm limited to playing against AI opponents and the odd match with some mates.

My only chance of getting some real and prolonged competition is on Live, but for that I'm going to need 2 things

1 a decent XBox stick or converter for my DC stick and 2 a decent Live enabled fighter

Comment

I'd call both CvS2 and SvC decent, SvC just isn't out yet, but I'd much rather stick MOTW in my AES, because I just can't get into the 6-button thing. It is indeed a matter of personal preferance, and my personal preference lies with SNK fighters on my AES.

Comment

GGXX Reload is coming to Live and there is a rumour (although I'll believe it when I see it) that either Hyper SFII or SF3 will be converted to XBox with Live.

Get the Hori stick. It's the only decent one that has a slot for the Live headset.

As a Live obsessive though, even I will confess that playing a fighter online has its limitations .

Comment

Yeah, I have to admit my stint last year of playing Capcom vs SNK 2 online was terrible. I'd completely pwn anyone in real life, but as soon as I got onto Live! the slight delays completely ruined my game. Didn't help that I used a shared 1Mbit pipe though.

I'm trying to persuade James Harvey from these forums to get some SNK fighter practice in, but he can only really do that whilst around my house, so it's kinda hard. I hope when I go back to uni I find some Neo Geo obsessives, but I doubt it.

Comment

You could lend me your Neo...

I'll DL some roms, I have the relevant emulators. What's the version of KOF I need to get?

Comment

Heh, shouldn't really mention you're getting roms.

But it's KoF 98 and KoF 99. And some Samurai Spirits 2 while you're there

Comment

**** didn't realise there was lag when playing over live. I assumed that the tiny amount of data required would result in Lag free brawling.

I suppose that part of the problem is the whole 1 on 1 side of things it doesn't do much for a community spirit when there is only your opponent to talk to and you are trying to pummel his face. It's a far cry from the good ol days of 10 people crowded around 1 cabinet to get a look at the fighting action.

Also I agree with the whole 6 button thing. I think that is what turns me off of streetfighter too. I hate having to move my fingers from button to button. At least with the Neo layout I can keep one finger on each button comfortably and have all of the commands instantly accessible.

Comment

I found CvS2 over Xbox Live to be rather good on the whole.

Whilst it is true that lag would sometimes become an issue (especially when playing people in Japan unfortunately) 95% of the fights against European, and a good of American players, were absolutley perfect.

I am a P Groove player too and was still able to get my parrying down perfectly when playing (still able to perfectly parry multiple hit super combos) so the lag can't have been that bad.

Don't expect it to be perfect all the time (that's a problem with network play tho unfortunately) but you will get good games I think.

However, I don't play anymore (so maybe response times have gotten worse, but I doubt it). CvS2 is a decent enough game, but there are much better fighters out there.

Comment

Is there a big scene on Kawaks for online fighters?

I could get my XBox chipped and then legally download and install the Roms for the arcade fighters I do have. However that would be a waste of time unless there are other peeps online still playing KoF and Last Blade etc.

I really want to get better at these games. I'm never going to be at the level of the l33t bods on here and I don't really care I just want to get into this genre of gaming, which up until now I've nearly always dismissed. The last fighter I played prior to this is probably Body Blows on the Amiga it really has been that long.

The Neo has really opened my eyes to the wonderful world of fighters.

Comment

Don't think you can play KawaX online.

Using WinKawaks on your PC tho and you can play online via Kailerra.

Comment

Cool,

I even have a DC stick converter for the PC. Only problem is that my GFX card sucks so much botty that it won't even run mame (The card is about 10 years old).

Still Kawaks might be less intensive I'll give it a whirl.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbury
                                I could get my XBox chipped and then legally download and install the Roms for the arcade fighters I do have.
                                Wouldn't be legal.

Comment

Working...
                                X