Last night's Top Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
    Yeah, it was basically his way of rubbishing Richard Hammond's and James May's opinion on which was the best car.
    Awesome, always been a fan of Tiff myself, was great to see him on James Mays big toys programme too covering the scalextric.. scale-x-trick whatever..

Comment

The Bowles pen!s was genuinly funny

Comment

As was the quote "faster than a stabbed rabbit". Average episode really.

Comment

Top gear has descended into scripted rubbish, making things go wrong is not funny. Things going wrong of their own accord is funny 

Comment

first bit of the electric car thing was ok until it 'crashed' in a field, 2nd bit was possibly a new low of terribleness.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdmike View Post
              The Bowles pen!s was genuinly funny
              I didn't catch this bit, what was it?

Top gear has descended into scripted rubbish, making things go wrong is not funny. Things going wrong of their own accord is funny*
              Originally posted by merf View Post
              first bit of the electric car thing was ok until it 'crashed' in a field, 2nd bit was possibly a new low of terribleness.
              I might not bother watching again, I didn't really enjoy any of it. I think they need a new time slot of 10am on a Saturday morning as they seem to aim 90% of the show at the young kids audience these days just like the books/annuals/make and do books/bloody Stig shower gel that they keep on marketing.
              Last edited by Alastair; 23-11-2009, 08:31.

Comment

Yep they should have left making this series due to the lack of new cars, as they originally said months back. Shame but the new R8 was the only car tested wasn't it. Either that or cut it down to 30 or 40 minutes.

Comment

ALL Filler, NO Thriller

Comment

I enjoyed it, i've stopped expecting old episode quality and just enjoy it for what it is.

Comment

making things go wrong is not funny. Things going wrong of their own accord is funny
                      This.

The electric car bit was a new low in many ways. Still enjoyable in places. I was crying at the slow-mo stuff.

Anyone else not catch a word of the Michael Sheen interview?

Comment

Well I thought it was a great episode, very enjoyable. Still the most entertaining thing on TV!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                          Still the most entertaining thing on TV!
                          I don't watch much telly, but even I think this idea of Top Gear being the best thing on died years ago.

Comment

Watching The Stig leaving the MIRA offices was subtle yet very funny. And the trainee moustache in the audience was worth a laugh as well.

Comment

Watching The Stig leaving the MIRA offices
                              That cracked me up, laughed my arse off.

Comment

I've not watched Top Gear for around a year now but I watched last night's one and was thoroughly entertained by it.

The Lancia section was brilliant and it was great to see Chris Evans, a man who clearly loves cars, talk about his collection.

However the scripting really hurts the show and it was clear from the off, that the Hot Lap time of the Lancia Stratos was ridiculous, as they could easily get a clean lap in. Anyway, I did enjoy it but all fun kind of trickles away when you read what the Top Gear Team do.

The Man who created the Replica Stratos the BBC used for Top Gear last night talked online today, specifically the failings the Top Gear team encountered whilst filming.

"On Wednesday, the day of filming, I had to be at the studios by 8am which meant leaving home at 4.30am.
                                After off loading the car on its slick tyres I went through the start procedue with them and handed over the keys. I then went to park up my truck and trailer away from the studio but with a good vantage point of the test track. At 9am the editor came to ask me if I wouldn't mind fitting the 2nd set of wet weather tyres as it was pouring with rain and he said that they wouldn't get far on the slicks - I duly obliged. Then this week's Stig driver came round(Andy something, I think) and got in the car, started the engine revving it's nuts off making it bounce off the rev limiter. To which he remarked "I thought I was pressing the brake" - I explained to him that the brake is the next one along and the clutch the next one after that. Off he shot.

The car flashed down the track and to me it sounded as though it was firing on 5 cylinders but it was going so fast and it was raining so hard it was difficult to tell.

For the next hour and a half I watched through binoculars as they filmed the supposed one power lap. In fact he drives two or three laps and then the camera team move to the next corner and he does two or three more laps and so on. In all he must have done 30+ laps. Then he did the supposed spinning out of control on the power lap. I must admit though, he is a very good driver in the way that he provoked and recovered the spins - or maybe they were just his practice ones. From this you can see how contrived it all was.
                                My view is that from the outset this was the direction that the programme was going to take. Even if the car had performed spectacularly they would have still slated it.

Nico went in to the studio filming and immediately expressed his anger and concern over the way everything had been handled and portrayed. Including Clarksons comments - a great looking car but a crap build (or words to that effect).
                                My emails and telephone conversations with the BBC were met with 'media talk' and I was told hat they were going to show the footage and nothing was going to change. Legal action by Gerry and Nico to remove all footage of the car and all references to it have just been sidestepped by the BBC.

What have we come away with? Nico has come away with hurt pride. Gerry has had his most excellent product criticized and future worldwide sales jeopordised and I, although not mentioned by name, everyone knows that I built the car originally and they will associate it's failings with me. However, I have to carry out work as per my customers' instructions over and above my personal preferences.
                                The script for the show was written even before they had the car and the issue is with the people who design the programme and not the three stooges who front it. It just goes to show that these are no different to any other treacherous bastards in the media. Both Gerry and I are absolutely devastated about the programme and fear the negative knock on effect on our businesses. I am personally well known throughout the industry - as is Gerry.

I have a meeting with one of my prized customers on Wednesday and I have 14 of his cars in my workshops. I am dreading what his thoughts will be about me and my capabilities after he sees the programme as he knows that I built the car.
                                I believe that in future if a car is offered to any influential media for road testing etc it is only fair that it should first be vetted and approved by the manufacturer before it 'goes out'.

If this does have a negative effect I am sure that there will be 3 suicides in the motor industry very soon.
                                In my view it is no good whinging about the media if you are going to sit and watch this type of programme every week or indeed go out and buy their books etc - you are just encouraging them. Take my advice and turn the twats off and go and read someone else's quality publication instead.

Chris"

Comment

Working...
                                X