No announcement yet.

Joss Whedon's New Show: Dollhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh hell no. I hadn't got around to watching it yet, but if she's in it then I'll give it a miss.

Comment

As a big Joss Whedon fan after being impressed with Firefly and later checking out his earlier stuff I've been looking forward to Dollhouse since it was first announced.

I've enjoyed the show so far, but potential has been the watch word up until now. The premise was sound and out of the first five episodes they've had a couple of really good stories while all the while laying groundwork for something greater.

Episode six which aired last Weekend (stateside) though has been the shows first really great episode and made me belive that the show will reach the levels of his other shows, providing Fox doesn't cancel it. There's a lot of Joss Whedon wit and solid story telling in this one and anyone who hasn't been really been following it or given up on it, I recomend giving this ep a look before writing the show off.

Shame they scheduled their best episode to date to clash with Sci-fi's Battlestar Galactica finale in the states but now Galactica's over maybe it'll find more viewers.

Comment

Yeah i had almost given up on this but then I watched episode 6 and thought it was amazing.

Its odd that an episode can completely reinvent a show thats only 6 episodes old but thats exactly what it did, hopefuly this means the show will be more like Wheadons original vision from now on and less of what fox eventualy forced him to shoot.
        Last edited by rmoxon; 24-03-2009, 00:24.

Comment

I've watched the first two episode and thought it was absolute rubbish - can I safely skip to #6 or would I need to suffer 3 more for it to make sense?

Comment

I watched the first and thought it was alright. Started to watch the second but thought it was dull as dish water so gave up.

Comment

Originally posted by spagmasterswift View Post
              I've watched the first two episode and thought it was absolute rubbish - can I safely skip to #6 or would I need to suffer 3 more for it to make sense?
              There are only a few things that you need to know

Echo and co seem to be more aware than we at first belived and that russian guy who was working with the FBI guy is actualy a doll

The first 5 episodes were really just story of the week kind of things, but from 6 onwards the show becomes more serialized aparently (which is how the makers originaly intended it to go from the first episode but fox wouldnt let them), with the whole main arc of the story taking centre stage (infact episode 6 has no stand alone story parts).
              Last edited by rmoxon; 24-03-2009, 13:14.

Comment

Thanks for the info, will give six a go then.

Watched this recorded off of American TV and they had Faith doing an advert along side the female Terminator, both acting all hot and saying stuff like "why not spend the evening with us handsome" - I faced palmed with one hand and....

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

OH SNAP!!1
                Last edited by spagmasterswift; 24-03-2009, 13:21.

Comment

anybody still watching this one?

after a bit of a ropey start, i have to say... its bloody good. i'm really enjoying it now.
                  the last four episodes have really started to build up the story proper, and ditched the boring one-off episodes it started with.
                  just a shame its pretty much certain its been cancelled already, and wont ever get a second series. 3 more episodes for tv and one more for the dvd apparently.

Comment

Yeah I've been watching it. Been picking up a pace like you said. I don't think it's cancelled either. Fox has pretty much stated no decision has been made yet. The 13th episode only exists to fulfil the 13 episode DVD obligation according to Tim Minear:
                    Originally posted by Tim Minear
                    Because we scrapped the original pilot -- and in fact cannibalized some of its parts for other eps -- we really ended up with 12 episodes. But the studio makes DVD and other deals based on the original 13 number. So we created a standalone kind of coda episode. Which is the mythical new episode 13. The network had already paid for 13 episodes, and this included the one they agreed to let us scrap for parts. It does not include the one we made to bring the number back up to 13 for the studio side and its obligations. We always knew it would be for the DVD for sure, but we also think Fox should air it because it?s awesome.

Comment

Fox should let this run by way of an apology to Whedon for cancelling Firefly! Or just let him make more Firefly.

I think this show is great! Certainly the last few episodes have done much to impress.

On a Whedon related note I've been making my way through Angel seasons 1 - 5 too. Halfway through season 3 now. That too is excellent! The man certainly knows how to create good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                        On a Whedon related note I've been making my way through Angel seasons 1 - 5 too. Halfway through season 3 now. That too is excellent! The man certainly knows how to create good stuff.
                        I ignored or dismissed Buffy and Angel until I saw Firefly and then watched both shows in the space of a year and was really impressed with how good a story teller Joss is, so when Dollhouse was announced I essentially gave it a free pass when it first started.

Though I did like the show from the beginning, these last four episodes have been like a completly different show and just prooves how a controlling network can damage a show like this. Here's hoping they remember X-Files and Buffy weren't overnight sucsesses and keep the show on for another year.

Comment

Well, that's the end of the first (and knowing Fox, last) season of Dollhouse and I thought it ended very strongly.

Big surprise to find out that Doc Saunders was a doll. Amy Acker though, she is very pretty. And Ballard turning round and getting his neighbour / girlfriend released from her contract instead of Echo / Caroline and then signing up to work for the Dollhouse

The one thing that does annoy me a little about the show is Tahmoh Penikett (Agent Ballard) and his seeming need to be completely brooding and over the top with his stern jaw at all times. I know this is a Whedon show and in the past they have all had their fair share of brooding male characters (Angel being the prime example) but still this guy takes it to a new level!

Should find out Monday if this is picked up for another season. Fingers crossed it does as I think there is a lot that can be done with the format.

Comment

Yeah decent ending i thought with some nice surprises. Hope it gets picked up for a second series, because i would trust Whedon to add some really nice story arcs in there.
                            Last edited by Marmite; 14-05-2009, 11:01.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's not going to get renewed, was reading up on various shows the other night and the viewing figures for this were really poor towards the end.

Comment

It's out on Blu-ray in June some time. Should look really good.

I just can't understand why this and Firefly got such poor ratings!? I mean the shows are incredibly well written, well acted, intelligent, full of good looking people and have their fair share of fighting and 'splosions if that's your bag.

Madness!!

Comment

Working...
                                X