This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
    Well in my case I didn't actually think chronicle was terrible, it was just nowhere near as good as it could have been. Not much actually happened in it, and the story was basically Akira for 15 year olds.

In fact it pretty much is "Emo Akira".
    Yet it reviewed well across many high profile sites/mags....you cool bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by PaTaito View Post
      Yet it reviewed well across many high profile sites/mags....you cool bastard.
      Actually, as i already said it has a score of 69 percent on metacritic, which is actually almost the same as Kingdom of the Crystal skull.... So either way I'm not that cool.

Comment

Actually, as i already said it has a score of 69 percent on metacritic, which is actually almost the same as Kingdom of the Crystal skull.... So either way I'm not that cool.

Anything around 7 is generally well regarded, for example the avengers scored 69....the same as chronicle.

I would consider the avengers to be well regarded...especially on here.

So again your "cool to bash good films" theory is nonsense.

Unless you want to argue that 7/10 is a poor score?

EDIT: Just looked for the 2001 metascore and its a very healthy 86. Hmmmmm...there were certainly no shortage of people speaking up about that film on here.
        Last edited by PaTaito; 22-07-2012, 23:45.

Comment

Anything around 7 is generally well regarded, for example the avengers scored 69....the same as chronicle.

I would consider the avengers to be well regarded...especially on here.

So again your "cool to bash good films" theory is nonsense.

Unless you want to argue that 7/10 is a poor score?

EDIT: Just looked for the 2001 metascore and its a very healthy 86. Hmmmmm...there were certainly no shortage of people speaking up about that film on here.
          As far as single reviews go 7 is often pretty much the score that is automatically given to unmemorable films. If I review a film and give it 7 it's becuase I enjoyed it but won't be thinking about it the next day. Obviously though things are a lot different when discussing averages.

I actually put more stake in imdb scores than metacritic scores anyway. On Imdb chronicle gets a very respectable 7.2 but The Avengers gets a stonking 8.7, which I think is deserved. Generally if somthing gets 8 and upwards on imdb then I have faith that it's a worthwhile film and am very rarely disappointed. Anything below is often a gamble and my feelings will go either way.

Incidently Avatar falls bang in between the scores for the above two films with a very good 8.0. Also well deserved.
          Last edited by rmoxon; 23-07-2012, 01:02.

Comment

This weekend we watched:

Dark Knight Rises
            As said in the main thread, thoroughly enjoyed it. Probably, only just, the second best of the series for me, just behind Begins despite its moments of dodgy plotting.

Ice Age 2: The Meltdown
            Good fun as these always are, still probably the weakest of the run though.

The Bourne Supremacy
            Great film still, not as good as Identity but some cool sequences like the final chase with Karl Urban.

The Naked Gun
            Still good for a laugh, it's the word play that works best in these rather than the visual gags. Gotta worship Neilsen.

Comment

I couldn't stand Sunshine. I really couldn't. The music was nice, I think, but I found the film couldn't decide whether it wanted to bore me senseless or burn my retinas with imagery of the Sun.

Something tells me if I rewatch it I'll love it so watch this space.

Comment

As far as single reviews go 7 is often pretty much the score that is automatically given to unmemorable films. If I review a film and give it 7 it's becuase I enjoyed it but won't be thinking about it the next day. Obviously though things are a lot different when discussing averages.

I actually put more stake in imdb scores than metacritic scores anyway. On Imdb chronicle gets a very respectable 7.2 but The Avengers gets a stonking 8.7, which I think is deserved. Generally if somthing gets 8 and upwards on imdb then I have faith that it's a worthwhile film and am very rarely disappointed. Anything below is often a gamble and my feelings will go either way.

Incidently Avatar falls bang in between the scores for the above two films with a very good 8.0. Also well deserved.
                You can argue the semantics of the meta/imdb scoring system all day, it wont change the fact you were talking crap about being cool to put down popular films. Wether chronicle scored 6.9 meta or, 7.2 imdb or, 85% rotten tomatoes, or even 4/5-5/5 in empire/total film/screen rant is really immaterial, because its one example. The avengers stat of 8.7 on imdb actually proves the point further...

So where are the avengers haters then? if its that stonking a film, and its that cool to put down popular movies? i dont recall any on here?

I personally dont go much on meta scores at all, because many crap/unfair reviews are attributed to some of their scores.
                Last edited by PaTaito; 23-07-2012, 10:00.

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
                  I couldn't stand Sunshine. I really couldn't. The music was nice, I think, but I found the film couldn't decide whether it wanted to bore me senseless or burn my retinas with imagery of the Sun.

Something tells me if I rewatch it I'll love it so watch this space.
                  You should definately rewatch it. Even if you still dont like it i think you'll end up viewing it in a bit better light. I thought it was superb.

The flaw of the film is the attempt at throwing horror into the mix. For me it just wasnt needed, and came off somewhat awkward. Overall though a forgivable flaw, considering the quality of the rest.
                  Last edited by PaTaito; 23-07-2012, 09:59.

Comment

21 Jump Street - far funnier than I thought it was going to be; a little touch of self-awareness, but generally played straight & much funnier for it. Nice chemistry between the leads, decent script & it doesn't outstay it's welcome (just).

Comment

You can argue the semantics of the meta/imdb scoring system all day, it wont change the fact you were talking crap about being cool to put down popular films. Wether chronicle scored 6.9 meta or, 7.2 imdb or, 85% rotten tomatoes, or even 4/5-5/5 in empire/total film/screen rant is really immaterial, because its one example. The avengers stat of 8.7 on imdb actually proves the point further...

So where are the avengers haters then? if its that stonking a film, and its that cool to put down popular movies? i dont recall any on here?

I personally dont go much on meta scores at all, because many crap/unfair reviews are attributed to some of their scores.
                      I wasnt really arguing your point, I was simply saying I feel that the averages on imdb represent the quality of (most) films better than other sites, probabaly due to the fact that IMDB is all about user ratings rather than critics ratings so it gives a more well rounded view of people's opinions.

Rotten Tomatoes gives chronicle gets 85 fresh rating and The Avengers gets 92, yet overall ratings on that site are not based on an average score, but rather on wether the majority of reviews are positive or not, which doesn't always work out accurately becuase I have often scene reviews rated as fresh when they don't read as such and vice versa. What is more telling however is that the user rating on the same site has Chronicle at 72% while The Avengers has yet another stonking score of 96%.

Also, I did actually mention my surprise, in the Avengers thread at the time of release, that everyone seemed to like it on here, as critically praised films are usually moaned about.
                      Last edited by rmoxon; 23-07-2012, 10:58.

Comment

I wasnt really arguing your point, I was simply saying I feel that the averages on imdb represent the quality of (most) films better than other sites, probabaly due to the fact that IMDB is all about user ratings rather than critics ratings so it gives a more well rounded view of people's opinions.

Rotten Tomatoes gives chronicle gets 85 fresh rating and The Avengers gets 92, yet overall ratings on that site not not based on an average score, but rather on wether the majority of reviews are positive or not, which doesn't always work out accurately becuase I have often scene reviews rated as fresh when they don't read as such and vice versa. What is more telling however is that the user rating on the same site has Chronicle at 72% while The Avengers has yet another stonking score of 96%.

Also, I did actually mention my surprise in the Avengers thread at the time of release that it surprised me how everyone seemed to like it as critically praised films are usually moaned about on here.
                        I laughed at the 2001 metascore of 86...and when looking at the individual reviews, i saw 2 pretty negative ones, with the rest being 90's and 100's.

The two negative sounding reviews were 50 and 10!!!

I thought to myself, i bet thats noobish and rmoxon...^^

Comment

Nah. I wouldn't even bother reviewing 2001, It doesn't even feel like a film to me.

Its more like a slow moving slide show of images.

Comment

X-Men First Class - had been looking forward to this due to the good reviews and it lived up to expectations. Loved the

Wolverine cameo but doesn't that present problems with the first film??

The 2 leads were really good (and I'm not a massive fan of McAvoy but he certainly did a good job). January Jones is smoking hot.

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane - hadn't seen it for ages, what can I say. Awesomeness +.

Conan the Barbarian - (the new one) - no crucifixion on the tree of woe = instant fail. This started out well and turned to utter gash.

Comment

My fave bit in X-Men is Fassbender dropping the accent

DEY'VE GOT GONS ON DA SHIP

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
                                Conan the Barbarian - (the new one) - no crucifixion on the tree of woe = instant fail. This started out well and turned to utter gash.
                                After witnessing his ace performance as "drogo the barbarian", i fully expected this to be at least half decent.

Might aswell have released drogo the barbarian instead lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X