No announcement yet.

Charlie Brookers Screenwipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not strictly the prog but the top 5 hits of stuff from his Guardian column this year

Gladiators

"All the male Gladiators have names that sound like gay nightclubs. Oblivion, for instance, sounds like a steaming 4am sinbox filled with strobe lights and shaved heads. But it isn't. It's a 6ft 3in bellend in black trunks."

Class of 2008

"…is an aspirational youth-oriented docu-soap that follows a group of sickeningly privileged, jumped-up little pissdrips as they embark on various glittering careers in music, modelling, and clubland. It's like watching a roomful of monocled adolescent toff s loudly applauding their own farts. Only worse. Because farts can sometimes be funny."

Big Brother

"Mario looks like a Spitting Image puppet of Sly Stallone crudely whittled from a gigantic boiled ham by a madman in a hurry."

The Apprentice

Lee: "Dumb as a cupboard." Alex: "An objectionable, buckpassing, jumped-up, passive-aggressive, know-it-all streak of piss with a short fuse, a sour mouth, and a petty, needling, finger-pointing demeanour. Unless you're a woman, of course, in which case he's a blameless dreamboat." Raef: "The absolute spit of Uri Geller staring at a pin."

Nuts TV

"It's just ****. Utterly, astronomically ****. It might even be made out of ****: the sets, the cameras, the lighting rigs - all actual, genuine chunks of crap, carved into shape by the unseen hand of some insanely misguided God. And powered by piss instead of electricity."

Comment

Episode 5 was great, just watched it on bbciplayer, was actually very moved at the end which I wasn't expecting.

Comment

ending was a big tonal shift, amazing how hypnotic those old Clangers and Bagpuss clips still remain.

Comment

His Guardian columns are usually worth a read (he does two, 'Screenburn' which is the TV criticism one, and a more generic observational one).

Charlie Brooker is a Guardian columnist who wrote Screen burn for The Guide from 2000 to 2010. He currently writes a G2 comment piece every Monday and he produces, writes and presents Screenwipe for the BBC

You can get two books which collect the first few years of his column as well.

Comment

saw this trailed last night but no broadcast date yet

I like the sound of Newswipe, some of the best bits in Screenwipe have been when he's going at the news channels.

Comment

Excellent. His swipes at the awful Sky news were brilliant. I presume he'll tackle newspapers and the net too.

Comment

Cheers lads n lasses I`m wathcin the konnie one now. I saw the one about soaps n pop t.v progs I think it ws. Lookin fwd to this konnie ep now it`s gonna be excellent!!!

Comment

His first Newswipe is on tonight at 10.30 folks. Interested to see how different it actually is, since he already had a good ol' pop at news programs in screenwipe.

Comment

Can't wait for it. I watched the pilot episode which was fantastic.

Comment

Just watched it.. absolutely brilliant. Loved the ending with the forensics chap talking about the shooting in Germany.

Comment

COCK! I knew I forgot to watch something last night...iPlayer here I come.

Comment

this was really good, I'd say not as many 'gags' as screenwipe had but I don't think the aim is to be as funny, just take an alternative and sarcastic look at the news.

loved the editing on the shooting guy at the end with the US psychology expert saying what needed to be done to prevent it happening again - doh !

I thought the bit on the economy was decent at the start too - having been city and up to my neck in all thats going on I found his explanation of the sub-prime debacle perfectly acceptable, if not a little simplified.

good stuff.

Comment

I enjoyed this. Yes, numerous bits made me laugh, but it also seems to have much more of a point to it than Screenwipe does, and it fits that bill well. Definitely going to keep on with this, have a lot of time for the man Brooker.

Comment

Hilarious again last night, easily my fave show on TV at the moment. Brooker is my hero.

Comment

I'm only about 7 years late but I just started reading Screen Burn so thought I'd track down some eps of this. Got the first series on its way to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X