Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Films Have You Watched This Week - The Sequel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
    V for Vendetta

Why haven't I seen this film before now, Crazy, excellent film though in pretty much every regard, although it does take itself a little too seriously. I love the fact that Hugo Weaving can put in such a good performance and you never see his face (well kinda in one scene). He is a genius it has to be said, and its another film that Portman is excellent in too. The transformation half way through that she goes through both in her character and obviously in reality is quite shocking, fair play to her I can't see many other actresses wanting to go through that.

You can see why 'anonymous' have attached themselves to this though (if in appearance alone) as there are obvious anti establishment themes in the film. However they are a bunch of self righteous dickheads who think way too much of themselves, which isn't the point. The point being that the people of this world have the real power if they want it, and change can be affected if the people want it badly enough.
    Strangely enough I have just got done watching V for Vendetta for the first time an hour or so ago.

Spot on assessment, Badboy.

Thoroughly enjoyable and it's Weavings best ever performance imo. His delivery of lines and the dialogue in general were excellent. The themes, though serious, left me with a good 'people power' feeling at the end of the film.

I agree as well, you can see the reason for 'anonymous' using the visuals of the film as their sort of logo if you like, as the ending sentiment was about people having the power, not the government, but that's an extremely complicated issue that I don't have the brain capacity to tackle.

I want one of those masks, though!

Comment

The Hunt for Red October

Still one of my favourite 'sub' films, only really topped by Das Boot and Crimson Tide. I still think that Ford is the better Ryan, but Baldwin is still fine in this as well. It would have been nice to have a bit more continuity 'actor' wise, but at least we have James Earl Jones which is the main thing. Connery is fine also but his accent slips the further the film goes on, which I never really noticed before. By the end of the film he is in 'bond' mode through and through.

That's the only real criticism of an excellent film really, that one of the main Russian characters has a heavy Scottish accent. I would have actually preferred Sam Neal in that role as he would have been a lot more believable, but I guess Neal wasn't as big an actor as Connery at the time.

The only other thing is the film is obviously now politically outdated with the cold war being long since gone, but from a historical point of view in some ways in makes the film even better as a glimpse of how things used to be. Whether you believe this is based on real world events of course is up to you.
      Last edited by originalbadboy; 03-04-2013, 11:38.

Comment

Went to see good vibrations last night, an excellent film.

Comment

Watched All Star Superman which is the most depressing superhero film I have ever seen. Wish I hadn't watched it. :S

Guy who voiced Lex Luthor was superb. What a voice!

Comment

Been trawling through the Paranormal Activity films, quite surprised how much of a rich back story they've carved out of these, did the 3rd installment last night and throughout it was the worst yet but had the best climax so far. Going to watch with the lights on for the next few 0_o.

Comment

Watched Drive last night. I loved it. Way better than The Notebook. Great soundtrack. Actually it's a real soundtrack movie, like a long music video. It will join Tron Legacy, Casshern and Day of the Dead as a movie I can just put on and listen to.

Comment

You'd like Oblivion then, it's some of the same composers from Tron Legacy and it shows.

Comment

Watched the new BFI transfer of, 'the devils'

Oli reed at his best

Comment

Watched trading places last night for the umpteenth time as it came on TV. You know what, it's still brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
                      Watched trading places last night for the umpteenth time as it came on TV. You know what, it's still brilliant.
                      It's one of the finest films of all time. Easily in my top ten.

Comment

Earlier Eddie murphy films are just brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          Watched Drive last night. I loved it. Way better than The Notebook.
                          I think Ryan Gosling is underrated as an actor. Most girls I know have only seen him in things like The Notebook and Crazy Stupid Love (which is a likeable film nevertheless) where his main role is as eye candy and I think this also leads to a lot of guys viewing him in a lesser light because of it. I showed my (female) flatmates Drive and Lars & The Real Girl on consecutive nights and hopefully changed their perceptions (even if they particularly hated Drive... the philistines).

I've been on a spree of watching '80s high school films over the past few days - Can't Buy Me Love, Lucas, Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Gregory's Girl. Nothing very memorable, but it's fun to spot future stars in them.

Comment

Our lass has just watched Snow White and The Huntsman while I watched the golf on my ipad. From what I saw of it, it looked like a steaming turd of a film.

Comment

hoodwinked (cgi animated film) i actually enjoyed it thought it was quite clever in places had a few laughs the only problem is you have to get through the cheapness barrier as the cgi is not that great at all not even close to original toy story but a enjoyable flick anyway

Redline (anime) bit light on story but blimey i think its possibly one of the best looking anime i have ever seen here is a trailer

Comment

Snow White and the huntsman isn't great

Just full of pouting

Only good thing is that theron can pretty much wear anything and look great in it

Comment

Working...
                                X