Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Films Have You Watched This Week - The Sequel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
    It wasn't so much which reveal was better that I was talking about, I'm saying they are both bad. The way batman goes "this isn't a car!" And then it flys off is a very showy moment that seems directed at the audience.... Yet we have already seen him fly so it has no impact, its not the suprise that it appears to be intended to be. Meanwhile the first time we do actually see batman fly, that reveal is handleed poorly too, we have already had it spelt out for us by Morgan freeman that batman now has a "bat", and when the reveal happens its disappointing not only becuase we are expecting it but it comes at the most convinent time. I expect more from Nolan.
    Nitpickery.

Of course we always know what batman has up his sleeve in this trilogy, because fox always discusses things with bruce beforehand.....no different to the other two.

Its like wanting something to be bad about the film...

I mean look at how nolan approached batman as a whole, with begins we see how he learns everything, and how all his tech is made. It should come as no surprise then that it takes something away from scenes like this, but its an intentional approach which is what makes the nolan films what they are overall.
    Last edited by PaTaito; 13-12-2012, 11:08.

Comment

Originally posted by PaTaito View Post
      Nitpickery.

Of course we always know what batman has up his sleeve in this trilogy, because fox always discusses things with bruce beforehand.....no different to the other two.

Its like wanting something to be bad about the film...

I mean look at how nolan approached batman as a whole, with begins we see how he learns everything, and how all his tech is made. It should come as no surprise then that it takes something away from scenes like this, but its an intentional approach which is what makes the nolan films what they are overall.
      I disagree. None of the films are very flashy, but the first two films had exciting action sequences regardless. And they had crowd pleasing moments. I don't feel that the third film does. It's all very by the numbers stuff.

doesnt help that the script is a lot worse in the third film either, the bit where catwoman literally beats exposition out of a man, forcing him to tell the audience exactky what the device she is looking for does despite the fact that she knows what it does is cringe inducing and certainly doesn't help retain excitement for example.
      Last edited by rmoxon; 13-12-2012, 12:46.

Comment

I disagree. None of the films are very flashy, but the first two films had exciting action sequences regardless. And they had crowd pleasing moments. I don't feel that the third film does. It's all very by the numbers stuff.
        I guess we agree to disagree then.

I found DKR more exciting than both Begins, and TDK...and at 166 minutes it flew by, thats always a good sign.
        Last edited by PaTaito; 13-12-2012, 14:17.

Comment

I guess we agree to disagree then.

I found DKR more exciting than both Begins, and TDK...and at 166 minutes it flew by, thats always a good sign.
          Fair enough. I understand a lot of people liked it, but I was massively disapointed in it. I think it was weaker than the other two films in all areas besides from acting, and that was due to the additions of Joseph Gordon Levitt and Anne Hathaway. I could reel off a massive list of all the films faults, but there's no point, its virtually critic proof becuase so many people had already decided they loved it before they even saw it (that's not directed at you btw).

Comment

Just gone done watching Expendables 2. It's a terrible film really, but it's saved by two scenes:

the one where Chuck Norris turns up to rescue the team (which put a huge smile on my face!) and the car scene with Arnie and Willis.

Van Damme was a pretty poor bad guy and the plot made absolutely zero sense but at least he was a good enough sport to give it a go - unlike Seagal.

It's a shame really as in the hands of a better writer this could have been a great series of films but Stallone seems to feels the need to completely blow his budget on the first 10 minutes of action.

Comment

Fair enough. I understand a lot of people liked it, but I was massively disapointed in it. I think it was weaker than the other two films in all areas besides from acting, and that was due to the additions of Joseph Gordon Levitt and Anne Hathaway. I could reel off a massive list of all the films faults, but there's no point, its virtually critic proof becuase so many people had already decided they loved it before they even saw it (that's not directed at you btw).
              Its funny because i actually found the second to be overly long and tiresome. I was a solid film dont get me wrong, but i found fault with it....without ledgers joker it would have been far less too.

Around the same time i started to rate begins a little less, finding it extremely tiring to watch more than a couple of times.

So with this in mind i wasnt expecting to like the third film as much as i did...

At 166 minutes i am on my 4th viewing and i love it more each time, it just feels more full(if anything they attempt to cram too much in), and more...organic, for want of a better word.

Comment

Its funny because i actually found the second to be overly long and tiresome. I was a solid film dont get me wrong, but i found fault with it....without ledgers joker it would have been far less too.

Around the same time i started to rate begins a little less, finding it extremely tiring to watch more than a couple of times.

So with this in mind i wasnt expecting to like the third film as much as i did...

At 166 minutes i am on my 4th viewing and i love it more each time, it just feels more full(if anything they attempt to cram too much in), and more...organic, for want of a better word.
                Well they definitely tried to cram too much in, yet not much really happened in it, it was all Nolan trying to please comic book fans while not actually making anything that resembled a batman comic.

For instance You had

a guy named robin, called as such for no other reason than to please fans, who at the end of the movie became some kind of batman beyond type dude instead of robin

. It was just daft. It's like Nolan looks down on comic books so much he just wants to say "comics are ****, look this story is much better, but i will include nods to comics just becuase I think it will please everyone if I do".

Moments like the above were just so embarrassingly forced on the viewer, I was rolling my eyes through half the film to be honest.
                Last edited by rmoxon; 13-12-2012, 21:23.

Comment

I loved that they dehydrated the United Nations. Although nothing will ever beat the bomb scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                    Stallone seems to feels the need to completely blow his budget on the first 10 minutes of action.
                    He obviously has premature 'issues' then ... The first one way bad enough, no way I am watching the second one, that's two hours of my life I want back ... I should have known considering everything with Statham in it is beyond piss poor these days.

Comment

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
                      He obviously has premature 'issues' then ... The first one way bad enough, no way I am watching the second one, that's two hours of my life I want back ... I should have known considering everything with Statham in it is beyond piss poor these days.
                      The second one is better than the first. And...
                      Originally posted by Kit View Post
                      It's a shame really as in the hands of a better writer this could have been a great series of films but Stallone seems to feels the need to completely blow his budget on the first 10 minutes of action.
                      Stallone didn't direct Expendables 2, so he didn't waste the budget on anything.
                      Last edited by rmoxon; 13-12-2012, 22:40.

Comment

The Wolfman, 2010 remake of classic chiller. From the previews I was hyped for this movie when it launched, then the reviews revealed it's apparent mediocrity, finally got round to seeing it and was quite surprised. I can't tell you it's a great movie, but the cast is solid, Hopkins waltzes around with pure class, there are some good death/injury scenes giving proceedings a shlocky element, but also some good creepy period (think Castlevania) locals and shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                          The Wolfman, 2010 remake of classic chiller. From the previews I was hyped for this movie when it launched, then the reviews revealed it's apparent mediocrity, finally got round to seeing it and was quite surprised. I can't tell you it's a great movie, but the cast is solid, Hopkins waltzes around with pure class, there are some good death/injury scenes giving proceedings a shlocky element, but also some good creepy period (think Castlevania) locals and shooting.
                          I really liked it, have the steelbook blu!!!!

Comment

Watched Ted tonight, pretty disappointing. I had it in my head it was going to be a laugh riot, but only brought out a few chuckles, maybe because the trailers were pushed to death and I knew loads of the gags. Passed the time, don't think i'd bother watching it again though, even to eyeball Mila Kunis.

Comment

Cowboys and Aliens - had low expectations so I was surprised when I liked it. Harrison Ford I thought was great. He's still got it. Overall I thought the aliens in the wild west was well done. Some good action - definitely doesn't deserve some of the panning it got in my opinion.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - wow how good was that. Awesome movie - although for some reason I couldn't get it out of my head that

Smiley was indeed the mole

. Great cast, really classy acting all 'round. Proves you don't need an action fest to make a great spy drama/thriller.

Comment

Leon - Still brilliant. Great acting from the main cast. The relationship between Leon and Matilda could have made the film hard to watch but it didn't. Gary Oldman's character suitably over the top. Loved it.

Chronicle - Mate lent this to me. Had never heard of it. Surprisingly good. Really liked the ending for once too.

Comment

Working...
                                X