No announcement yet.

New and current FS anime Topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So caught up with Shikabane Hime but using rapidshare links from /rs/ rather than torrents since I'm paranoid about Funi's letters that they're sending out. Despite it's rather slow start, it's becoming quite decent actually. Animation tends to flicker around from various styles especially for any fighting scenes which is quite neat.

Be interesting to see how they leave it for the 2nd series/half in winter.

Edit: Anyone else been following the Kara no Kyoukai movies? 4th came out yesterday and just got round to watching it. Fairly interesting plotline from an alternate version(I think) of the Tsukihime series/VN. First one is a bit iffy since it's a bit overly philosophical for my liking but the following 3 have been very engrossing. Some fantastic animation and music as well.
    Last edited by Mr.Jeff; 19-12-2008, 01:26.

Comment

I watched the first one and didn't really like it that much. It did have nice animation in it though. I can't even remember much about it at this point. It wasn't bad enough that I'd drop (very little is ) so I may get round to in a few months/years time. I guess I'm just not one for the Type-Moon stuff.

I also started catching up on ef, which is nice so far. I like how it's connected to the first series and I like how it's playing out so far. It's more of the same really just with some new characters as the focus. I especially like seeing the sequences which involve Yuu and Kuze's past for example. Hopefully it ends as strongly as I remember the first season did.

Also been continuing my worrying manga addiction. I'm starting to run out of space to store all these books and my bank account has taken quite a hit. May need to revert to the old days... Currently been enjoying Reborn! which has enough wackiness that it reminds me of One Piece. Not near as good though but it's still fun. Mostly what I've read seems to be one shot stories that are done in one chapter or two. It's only now that I've reached the end of volume 8 that they've started a major "fight" which seems to have spanned the whole 9-10 chapters in the volume. Again I'm tempted to start up the anime which I've been saving episodes of.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
        The new FMA will go the manga path
        still waiting for an official boxed set, the only Anime show i've left to buy

Comment

Originally posted by Zapp$ter View Post
          Currently been enjoying Reborn! which has enough wackiness that it reminds me of One Piece. Not near as good though but it's still fun. Mostly what I've read seems to be one shot stories that are done in one chapter or two. It's only now that I've reached the end of volume 8 that they've started a major "fight" which seems to have spanned the whole 9-10 chapters in the volume. Again I'm tempted to start up the anime which I've been saving episodes of.
          The anime stays true to the manga, though they have added in a few extra little bits which are easy not to notice, and do put some stories in slightly out of sequence. Other than that I can't complain.
          Once the first big fight starts, there's no going back. It gets slightly more serious from then on.

Comment

Just watched episode 111 of reborn last night, its a light hearted and fun series but maaaaaan can some of the characters be annoying at time

Also been watching Kekkaishi which is strangely addictive in a "i'll just watch one more...oh **** its 2am" kinda way.

Edit: I didnt realise that FMA carried on after where the anime ended! Where in the manga would be the best place to jump back in, having watch all of the anime...or is the anime a completely different storyline.
            Last edited by Orgun; 22-12-2008, 13:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Orgun View Post
              Just watched episode 111 of reborn last night, its a light hearted and fun series but maaaaaan can some of the characters be annoying at time
              Yeah. Lambo is the main one for me and that guy who's the head of the Tomasi(sp?) family. But usually they tread the line well and even make jokes about the annoyingness of certain characters like when that guy who does the rankings turns up.

Also been watching Kekkaishi which is strangely addictive in a "i'll just watch one more...oh **** its 2am" kinda way.
              Yay! Another fan!

Edit: I didnt realise that FMA carried on after where the anime ended! Where in the manga would be the best place to jump back in, having watch all of the anime...or is the anime a completely different storyline.
              Mangaupdates is useful for this sort of info. Usually if you hunt down the series information it'll tell you what chapters the anime adaptation (if there was one) started and ended at. e.g. for FMA it says the anime ends at around volume 7 and it's still ongoing apparently with volume 21 being the latest. And I've heard from various people that the anime starts to deviate from the manga earlier than that. IIRC it was around volume 4 or 5 when it started to deviate. Might be best jus to start reading from volume 1 I suppose.

Comment

I watched the first one and didn't really like it that much. It did have nice animation in it though. I can't even remember much about it at this point. It wasn't bad enough that I'd drop (very little is ) so I may get round to in a few months/years time. I guess I'm just not one for the Type-Moon stuff.
                Has to be said I really didn't like the first one compared to the next 3. The 2nd one doesn't make much sense it parts either but it lacks a lot of the psycho-babble the put in the first one which annoyed me (the flying/floating nonsense). 3 and 4 have made the most sense so far and have been the most enjoyable. Go figure.

I also started catching up on ef, which is nice so far. I like how it's connected to the first series and I like how it's playing out so far.
                Menclave subs where? I hear episode 6 is an absolute kicker but I'm not lowering myself to go for chihiro.

Currently been enjoying Reborn! which has enough wackiness that it reminds me of One Piece. Not near as good though but it's still fun. Mostly what I've read seems to be one shot stories that are done in one chapter or two.
                I quite liked reborn to start with. The beginning arc with all the day to day stuff was enjoyable enough but it really kicks in with the start of the rings arc. Not really a fan of the latest arc though; seems a bit too power level shounen-y (which I know it is). To much posing and sudden developments of secret moves.

On the subject of Kekkaishi, I really enjoyed the manga of it. Quite nicely paced and varied in it's events even for a "monster of the week" theme. Can't remember why I stopped it now. Might have been the random change in scanlation groups...

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the mangaupdates tip

Argh now do I spend the evening reading FMA or play Persona 4...arght its a hard life :P

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Jeff View Post
                    Has to be said I really didn't like the first one compared to the next 3. The 2nd one doesn't make much sense it parts either but it lacks a lot of the psycho-babble the put in the first one which annoyed me (the flying/floating nonsense). 3 and 4 have made the most sense so far and have been the most enjoyable. Go figure.
                    Might go back to it sooner then, because I think that's pretty much why I disliked the first one I think.

Menclave subs where? I hear episode 6 is an absolute kicker but I'm not lowering myself to go for chihiro.
                    Should be coming soon, that's partly why I watched it. There seems to be a push to get caught up with it. No idea when it'll happen though. And you're right it is. It's akin to an episode in the first season where that girl has a breakdown or something.

I quite liked reborn to start with. The beginning arc with all the day to day stuff was enjoyable enough but it really kicks in with the start of the rings arc. Not really a fan of the latest arc though; seems a bit too power level shounen-y (which I know it is). To much posing and sudden developments of secret moves.
                    Yeah. I'm starting to see more of those coming through in this last volume I read. Still I don't always hate the shounen-y elements if they're done well. It can still be a lot of fun in a "**** yeah"/fist pumping kind of way (if that makes sense) like I remember some of the early bleach fights being like (Ichigo's bankai for the 1st time) or some of the one piece stuff (

Luffy's Gear 2 thing

) .

On the subject of Kekkaishi, I really enjoyed the manga of it. Quite nicely paced and varied in it's events even for a "monster of the week" theme. Can't remember why I stopped it now. Might have been the random change in scanlation groups...
                    The thing I liked about the anime at least was there wasn't as much of the standard shounen power level/training stuff involved and it came at a time when I'd sort of gotten sick of that (well up for marathoning a bit of Shounen now though). Plus I liked the idea of the powers they have and the inventive ways in which they use them. Also loved those sarky spirit wolves/foxes they have.

Comment

Yeah. I'm starting to see more of those coming through in this last volume I read. Still I don't always hate the shounen-y elements if they're done well. It can still be a lot of fun in a "**** yeah"/fist pumping kind of way (if that makes sense) like I remember some of the early bleach fights being like (Ichigo's bankai for the 1st time) or some of the one piece stuff (

Luffy's Gear 2 thing

) .
                      Oh absolutely, I have no problem if it's done well. just the stuff I was reading was turning more into "And now you shall die Hero X! Ultimate Beam Kick!" "ugh, hah because of that I've finally perfected my ultimate attack to defeat you!" A shame since the story of it was vaguely interesting. Also; too many characters syndrome. every enemy had a name and a past you had to care about even if they get one-shotted.

The thing I liked about the anime at least was there wasn't as much of the standard shounen power level/training stuff involved and it came at a time when I'd sort of gotten sick of that (well up for marathoning a bit of Shounen now though). Plus I liked the idea of the powers they have and the inventive ways in which they use them. Also loved those sarky spirit wolves/foxes they have.
                      Yeah that was what was good about. Yoshimori and the girl(I forget her name) had the neat abilities and sure they learned new stuff but a lot of the time you could clearly see it was just an extension of the original powers that got explained rather than "hey, I've just learned death beam somehow!". The entire cast and setting seemed just to be fully fleshed out better than most series.

Comment

Time to lower the tone!

KissXsis ep1 - errrr.... its a first when a ecchi show creeps me out so much i can't watch it. After that wake up scene i skipped through the rest and its total trash. Watching two sisters(although not blood related, i assume he's grown up with them) fawn over him that bad just put me off, that whole hardon scene was rrreeeaaallly uncomfortable.

Index ep12 - BBBAaaaaahhhh stop being soooo damn sloooooowwww, it feels like im getting nowhere.

Hellsing Ova5 - Lots of Nazi vampires destroying london, lots of death, and of course Anderson being freaking nuts.

Linebarrals ep 6-12 - its grown on me, the Juctice freak got slightly better as a character but its the Leader and the secondary characters(with the bouncey boobs) that have made it watchable, that and the improved combat(still crap loads of stupid plot and enemies are sometimes to fabulous to be taken seriously)

Toradora ep12 - Good stuff again, Ami quickly becoming the best of the 3 even though she'll never get the win for being just to normal(as you can get in that show).

If only this had really happened.

Comment

Lol, some of those joke subs are hilarious.

Just watched eps 38 of Kekkaishi, ah man im glad they brought back the original ending music, very soothing song.

Comment

Merry xmas all, thought I'd get into some anime again, I can't really download anything new till the new year when I'm back in Sheffield so have been sampling things I already have floating around.

I restarted Kaiba and finished it off, I loved the style from the beginning but the plot lost me in the last few eps, I can't even remember how it ended.

Tried a couple of episodes of Shigofumi last night and some more this morning. Thought it was great at first and sent a text of recommendation to a friend of mine... but now I've seen up to episode 8 I think and

it's lightened up way too much, the characters have joined into a friendly little gang to the point of having a "let's all go on holiday!" episode. What a let down.

I'm not sure if I have all of the episodes but I'll finish what I have.

Even though I shouldn't be downloading much I have grabbed the first ep of Chaos:Head after skimming a few comments here, that sounds interesting.

I'm really in the mood for something dark, not too action heavy, I prefer plot and if it wasn't focused on high school kids that'd be a bonus too Any recommendations?

Comment

In the current season...

Tytania - Adult and plenty of politics in between(so its a tad slow) the odd space battle(fleet vs fleet), lots of time wasting inbetween the 1st battle and what is currently building up to the 1st of the anti Tytania battles with Fan in charge.

Michiko to Hatchin - has a kid in it but its about the kid and her guardian Michiko looking for hatchin father/Michiko ex lover. Very Cowboy Bebop feel in a south american setting (so plenty of dark tones with people dying in unjust ways with a bit of comedy).

Everything else is teenies fighting/loving/laughing/crying... you could always do Gundam 00, has a few kiddies in it but overall its not as bad a Seed's kids(or as many).
                              Last edited by Tobal; 25-12-2008, 07:34.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure about this since I've only seen 2 eps but Texhnolyze seems to have a fairly deep plot although it seems fairly Lain/Kaiba-ish in that bits might not make sense. No idea about action though. I think Orka's seen it though so he might have some idea.

Also, try Seirei no Moribito. It does have a few action scenes but overall it's just a nice flowing japanese period fantasy series. More about the characters and their development.

Well, Winter season's come quickly with an early showing of Akikan's first episode. Yes, that series which sounded so ridiculously awful on it's synopsis on the chart.

Surprisingly, it might turn out to be better than it sounds. Someone described it to me as a lighter version of Inukami which I think seems fairly apt. The characters all seem fairly varied and the main guy doesn't seem to be a spineless wimp that's having nosebleeds every 5 minutes. His introduction to the main girl involves him casually standing and posing naked in front her which shows you his lack of shame.

Here's hoping it keeps it up!

Comment

Working...
                                X