No announcement yet.

New and current FS anime Topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man a whole load of new shows came out all at once.

FMA, man it was great seeing Hughes and all the shorty jokes again Is kimbley's VA the same VA as the green duke from Tytania?

Valkyria, pretty much agree with everything Tobal said.

Asura Cryin was pretty good also, interested to see where they take it.

Still got more to watch No gaming today.

Edit: Basquash, didnt know anything about the show before I started to watch it so it being about robot basketball was a bit of a suprise Good stuff, also got a Gad Guard vibe from the art style in parts.
    Last edited by Orgun; 06-04-2009, 21:39.

Comment

Basquash: Some very awesome animation and art in this show. Not entirely sure I can enjoy a series about basketball though. Can't really work up any excitement for the sport itself. Partly one reason I remain unconvinced by the synopsis for Cross Game. I'll give it a few more to see if I enjoy it any more.

Saki: Well, in terms of the technical terms flying around I didn't really pick up much so most of the plays were lost on me. Still, high school girls (and suspcted lesbianism) playing over the top majong was somehow kind of enjoyable.

Valkyria Chroncles; Possibly one of the few here who hasn't played the game so it's all new to me. Seems like quite interesting series although at the moment it's not much more info than "there's a war on". Quite nifty with the art style although the could have probably ramped up the "painting" effect. Not entirely convinced by th choice for the VA for Alicia but I'm picky. Overall looking good.

Despite me being a bit negative against this season, there seems to be some interesting series about and I haven't even seen my most wanted 3 of Shangrila, Guin Saga and Eden of the East.

Edit: Hayate s2: Despite the change of animation studio, the art's not all that different to the first season. A bit rougher maybe. As explained in the ED part, they picked a good ep to start from since it covers everyone nicely. Also good to see them keeping in mind character popularity and making Hinagiku get the first ED. (Polls from japan put her so far ahead of everyone it's silly) Overall; More of the same but I enjoy it so sign me up.
      Last edited by Mr.Jeff; 07-04-2009, 01:52.

Comment

Basquash ep 1 - biggest surprise so far for me. I thought it looked absolutely gorgeous and I'd almost be tempted to tune in for the remainder of it if they kept it at the same level(unlikely) but I also enjoyed the contents of the show (sexual innuendo helped). Maybe just me but I got a Gurren Lagann vibe from that. Particularly one scene which is very reminiscent of the end of Lagann ep 1 involving Boota and Yoko . Not the biggest fan of basketball but as with almost any anime it's not usually the topic or content of the anime that turns me off but how it's handled. As is evidenced by one of my most favourite shows ever being on a subject that I have little to no interest in, in real life. Definitely on board for a while yet.

Guin Saga ep1 - Ended up watching the raw (skipping through it) and it turned out decently. I found it unintentionally hilarious in some scenes because it was slightly different to how I imagined them playing out. The main points seem to be spot on though. I can see some people taking an immediate dislike to Remus (he's a bit of a pansy). Guin's main intro scene is pretty much spot on and really shows how much of a badass he is. I think they've covered around 70 or so pages with that episode so I guess they'll have covered the first volume within the next 2 or 3 episodes, which I'm eagerly waiting for to see what happens next.

Comment

I love the start of a new season. It's only later when I get halfway through stuff that I fall behind.

Tears to Tiara: Based on a game by the makers of Utawarerumono and right from the OP you can see the similarities. A shame it doesn't have the random cute cat girls to distract. First ep is all about setting up but unfortunately it really drags it out. Pacing just seemed really slow and there was no kind of tension to the rescue scene at all. Best I can say for it just now is it's well animated. I can only hope it picks up the speed a bit or this series feels like it'll drag on.

Cross Game: Gave it a go despite my reservations. Bit more interesting than I thought although I now feel depressed. Got semi spoiled that

a death would happen

but still a bit of a shock to me. Can see where the story's going but I wouldn't mind seeing more.

Now for some regios/felli to cheer me up.

Edit: Just watched Queen's Blade. God this is so awful. You have to laugh at the sheer stupidity of it though.

Edit 2: Natsu no Arashi - Designs in this are really wierd. I'm not sure if it's intentional or poor quality but the faces look really odd and narrow in some scenes. Enjoyed the first episode though although it's probably best if you don't think too much about the time aspect.

Shangri-la; I had hopes for this but I'm a bit disappointed. I can see what they're aiming for with the carbon emissions plot line but there's a lot in this that's just really stupid. Like

a town surrounded by miltary yet gets fairly badly beaten up by a transvestite and a small girl.

The music was fairly laughable as well what with it's obvious mood changes; "We're going to an evil scene, PLAY THE EVIL MUSIC"
          Looks like Gonzo will do better out of Saki than this.

Edit 3(How many can I make?):
          Guin Saga - I'm loving the feel of this. Quite a quick start and seemed to skip between places but nothing to bad. Zapp's prediction is spot and I immediately dislike Lemus/Remus. The fighting scenes were rather well done and Guin's a total badass in them. Music's good too. All in all, it's looking mighty fine.
          Last edited by Mr.Jeff; 09-04-2009, 21:27.

Comment

Double post but deserves it.
            Eden of the East; I'd already been looking forward to it so I'm possibly overhyping it but this probably the best thing out of the season for me. First episode was great. Nice pace of things and an interesting story as well. Liking Akira's character, has a fair bit of humour in him like Morita who he looks like. Particularly liked his exchange with

the random American businessman who he manages to convince to quite happily give him his trousers

Was a bit wary of the Oasis tune for the OP but it works really well and the ED is more superb stop time animation like H&C's OP was.
            Last edited by Mr.Jeff; 10-04-2009, 10:25.

Comment

Guin Saga - Oh man I see what you meant by Lemus being immediately unlikable Hopefully he changes as the story goes on. Really enjoyed the ED music. After looking at Wikipedia apparently a lot of the music is done by Nobuo Uematsu.

Might have to see if I can find the novels in english somewhere.

Edit: Eden of the East - Fantasic in every respect, great audio, art, animation and voice acting. The story looks like it could be quite deep as well. Looking forwad to watching more of it.
              Last edited by Orgun; 10-04-2009, 17:07.

Comment

Guin Saga - i like it, Lemus reminds me alot of the queer twin from Beast King Planet but that had the Balls to kill him off within the 1st episode, lets hope the same happens soon.

Comment

Just started watching Restorante Paradiso and the OP song is fantastic, so relaxing.

Comment

Basera - hahahahaha, found my second balls out anime of the season(after Queens Blade), the stupidness and manliness offer makes it entertaining.

East of Eden ep1 - same as everyone else, great show.

Phantom ep1 - felt like some knockoff of Noir(yay) and Madlax(boo) even down tothe art, willing to give it a chance.

Basquash ep1 - basketball anime is not my cup of tea, but the mecha angle has me enjoying the episode as well as the setting and art, hopefully i won't lose interest if he keeps on being this entertaining. One to watch so far.

Tayutama ep1 - very similar to Wagaya no Oinari-sama from a couple of seasons ago, but has not of the art, characters or charm. Dumped.

And woohooo we get new Clannad Another, this time for Kyou to come with the dvd's Tomoyo's Another episode.

Got a few more shows i want to watch but it been suprising how many top quality shows there are(about 3-4), and the 2nd/3rd tier stuff it at least interesting.

Comment

Yeah, I've been fairly surprised as well. I was already to bemoan this season for nothing to watch but there's some 2nd tier stuff as you say that while is not awesome, is certainly watchable. Aside from Souten Kouro, everything I was interested in has had it's first ep subbed.

Trying not to watch the speed subs and wait patiently for a semi-decent group to post subs is hard though.

Comment

i've only seen a couple of things so far. i cant be bothered to download and test everything these days. so i've been going off comments here mainly.

K-on is quite cute, hopefully we'll see more band stuff a bit like beck soon. but its already nice enough to stick with after 2 eps.

and 2 eps of Basquash as well, which i thought was great. not a massive fan of basketball, but its watchable. the inclusion of mecha makes it quite interesting. and i love the style. i assume that there may be more to it than we've seen so far... with the moon being a bit mysterious.

first episode of valkria chronicles was allright, but having played the game i'm not sure if i'll bother sticking with it too much. they certainly dragged out that first meeting.

i'll go track down Eden of the East too seeing as everyone says its good.

Comment

East of Eden is top stuff as everyone else has said. I'd probably say it's my favourite of the bunch so far. Although the biggest surprise is still probably basquash as that came from nowhere. Whereas with Eden I had my eye on it as one to watch, particularly as Production IG have handled some of my recent favourites (they even made tsubasa interesting for me). Noitamina slot comes up trumps again.

Still need to watch some of the other stuff that has been getting positive reviews like Basara and some of the others that I've not read up on such as Tears to tiara, pandora hearts etc...

The season has definitely been better than I expected and I still haven't watched the one I was most looking forward to which I may watch soon or wait on ANBU subs for it.

Comment

can somebody sell me Clannad?

i tried to watch the movie but it seems like some school drama, people seem to like it - what am i missing

Comment

film recaps of tv shows are always missing something, not having seen it myself i'll assume it'll mostly follow the Nagisa/Tomoya story. What you missing out on is Kyoani's next step onthe emotional romcom ladder they started with Air->Kanon and now Clannad.

Part1 is Tomoya dealing with school life and his friends, mostly through trying to help them so he can ignore his own life problems. Stories split so 5 girls get main arcs(nagisa,kotomi, fuuko,Kyou and Tomoyo) plus a couple of side stories with Sunohara, his sister and random others. Contains some some great comedy action from Suno and Tomoya interacting with the girls(especially Fuuko RPG leveling and Suno vs Tomoyo) and occasionally pulls the emotional strings.

Part2 and a massive rarity for these harem shows deals with Tomoya life after school with the girl he choose and its very much more about Tomoya Staying/will power while life ****s on him, if don't sob a bit during some of the emotional moments your dead on the inside.

Apart from that there are couple of extras, recap eps, 1 episode set year before part1, 2x alternative ends to part1.

Comment

Shin Mazinger Z ep2 goes back to before Kouji gets Mazinger and starts the story properly.

Comment

Working...
                                X